Volvospeed Forums

850 Tailgate Rattle Fix

lcc014

My tailgate had been rattling for almost 2 years. I did not take too much time to try to fix it all these times. Also, the tailgate panel repair kit did not work very well after 1 year. The metal plates used in the repair kit were too soft. After 1 year of usage, 2 out of 4 of these metal plates' opening become bigger and let the plastic clips popped right out.

I searched thru this forum and followed the suggestion to replace the tailgate lock brace (called by Volvo). I purchased the new lock brace (9485477) and 2 new Torx-40 screws (986365). When I received the new lock brace, it looked 80% different from the original. Volvo re-designed the lock brace to make it stronger and eliminate the problem that I had with my original lock brace. All the rattling over these 2 years mostly from the original lock brace.

Here is the picture of the original lock brace:

IMGP3055.jpg

We can see that the rubber stop mounted on a metal arm slightly above the metal base.

IMGP3057.jpg

1) Remove wooden boards on both sides of the trunk area.

Drive side board removed:

IMGP3031.jpg

Passenger side board removed:

IMGP3030.jpg

2) Remove the center wooden board in the trunk.

3) Remove the black plastic trim that cover the lock brace area. Carefully pull off the ends of the black plastic trim on each side near the taillight area.

IMGP3039.jpg

The ends of this black plastic trim piece have 2 clips on each side. These clips are the same as the one used in the bottom of the tailgate panel. These clips are very easy to break. So, be prepared to get some extra from dealer first.

IMGP3040.jpg

4) There are 9 T-25 screws holding the black plastic trim. Unscrew them and then remove the black plastic trim to reveal the lock brace.

IMGP3032.jpg

IMGP3033.jpg

Here is my original lock brace and it was broken on the left hand side !!!

IMGP3034.jpg

IMGP3035.jpg

This broken arm caused the tailgate to vibrate sideway when my car go over bumps or rough road.

6) Unscrew the 2 T-40 screws that hold down the lock brace.

Here is the picture of both new and old lock brace:

IMGP3037.jpg

7) Clean up the area and wax it :-)

8) Install new lock brace with new T-40 screws.

IMGP3038.jpg

9) Do not tighten the 2 T-40 screws because we need to close the tailgate slowly to adjust the lock brace position until the tailgate is fully close and perfectly sealed around the sides and bottom. Need to sit inside the trunk to do this step :-(

IMGP3041.jpg

IMGP3042.jpg

10) Once the lock brace is in correct position, tighten the 2 T-40 screws. I don't have the torque spec. but when I unscrewed the original screws, they were quite tight. So I just tighten them as much as possible but not to over do to strip the screw.

11) Install the black plastic trim with those 9 T-25 screws.

12) Install all 3 wooden boards.

13) You are done.

For the tailgate panel repair kit, I used the aluminum sheet from the vinyl siding left over material. This aluminum sheet is above the same thickness of the repair kit metal sheet but much stronger. I cut this stronger metal sheet the same shape as the repair kit metal sheet, drilled the same size holes. Now, the tailgate is very tight and no noise at all when going over bumps !!!

Hope this help.

Ching-Ho Cheng

I paid $22.41 shipped from Jamie at Darrell Waltrip Volvo

Just called dealer, it's the same part for 855 and P1 V70's (9485477) and they want $28.55 for it.

I looked at my 855 and my V70 and the installed brace/catch do look different, and the 'improved' part, still different.

But I'm glad this may be the answer for my horrible rattle in my 855 (V70 is fine).

Well I'm going to pick this part of the dealer right now. Hopefully this takes care of the horrible thumping and rattling that I've been battling for two years.

How hard is it place the lock brace so the tailgate seals perfectly? It doesn't real look like you can adjust it very much.

My Stealership charged me $41CDN for this part. They didn't even have it in stock so I have to drive all the way back there to get it next week.

Anyone know if they still have that thing you can apply for if your Volvo has more than a certain amount of miles you get 10% off parts from any dealer?

My Stealership charged me $41CDN for this part. They didn't even have it in stock so I have to drive all the way back there to get it next week.

Anyone know if they still have that thing you can apply for if your Volvo has more than a certain amount of miles you get 10% off parts from any dealer?

:o Wha????? +1 me too me too me toome too me too me too me toome too!

I would never go to a dealership for parts unless I absolutely had to. And for many things I am using genuine Volvo replacements.

Not sure about shipping to Canadia but this part sells for under $20 US at www.volvopartsclub.com which sells only genuine Volvo parts.

Or try Jamie at Darrell Waltrip Volvo, search here at VS to find out how to get in touch with him.

Archived