Volvospeed Forums

1996 Volvo 850 Glt, No Spark After Replacing Cooling Fan, Wtf?

systek

The cooling fan smoked while I idled at a parking lot. I turned off the car and verified the smoke was coming out of the electric motor. I disconnected the fan and the socket to the relay(for ac i believe) and went straight home. Today I was able to start the car and move it within my garage to get ready to replace the fan. All went well until the car moved rolled forward after I put it in park (small incline, never a problem in the past) and got ready to work. As I tried to get underneath better, i tried turning the car back on but it didnt turn back on. The shift up arrow was blinking when ignition in ON position, but I figured the tranny was just locked so I didnt mess with it. I disconnected the battery at that point, replaced the electric cooling fan and hoped for the best.

The car exhibits same problem. It cranks but doesnt turn on. First thing i thought was fuses, so I checked them all1-36 or however many there are under the hood, all good.

I listened for the fuel pump to prime up, it does.

I pulled the ignition wire from the distributor cap and put it next to the negative post on the battery, GF cranked car, no spark. Now what????

I dont want to start guessing, so I'm looking for advice. What would cause the ignition coil to stop making spark? I thought maybe I messed with the shift linkage at the tranny so I removed the airbox to take a closer look. it looks ok and shifted without any play. I'm out of ideas other than replacing coil so I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help!

for everyone who has looked at my thread, thanks. although Im a n00b to this forum, im not a newbie to mechanic work. I also searched on this forum before posting my thread. any direction to solving my problem is appreciated...

for everyone who has looked at my thread, thanks. although Im a n00b to this forum, im not a newbie to mechanic work. I also searched on this forum before posting my thread. any direction to solving my problem is appreciated...

It could be the big relay which sit on the top of the radiator(driver's side)with four wires to go in.Check the collection first.

check your crank position sensor.....something got moved or out of line when the car moved down the slope....have you tried switching the gears to some other gear and cranking?

PNP could have moved too, and messed up your settings....

have someone stand behind the car, and put the car in reverse with the key in POSII....see if the reverse lights turn on.

check your crank position sensor.....something got moved or out of line when the car moved down the slope....have you tried switching the gears to some other gear and cranking?

PNP could have moved too, and messed up your settings....

have someone stand behind the car, and put the car in reverse with the key in POSII....see if the reverse lights turn on.

I shifted through all gears, tried turning on in neutral, nogo. i'll check the backup lights. link on how to check the crank position sensor???

remember, all worked just fine before working on the car and even when the fan was disconnected...

just put it in reverse, backup lights turned ON. The up arrow shift light on the dash flashes and the shift button winter/econ/perf blink no matter which setting i put it on.

so, just wondering if anyone knows if spark is turned off when the tranny is having problems as described. if not, I may have two different issues going on.

just put it in reverse, backup lights turned ON. The up arrow shift light on the dash flashes and the shift button winter/econ/perf blink no matter which setting i put it on.

so, just wondering if anyone knows if spark is turned off when the tranny is having problems as described. if not, I may have two different issues going on.

had the same problem when the TPS was partially unplugged. But seems like a safe bet it has something to do with the relays on the radiator. Did you check it?

had the same problem when the TPS was partially unplugged. But seems like a safe bet it has something to do with the relays on the radiator. Did you check it?

not sure how to check them other than reseating the plugs, which I already did. still nogo... :(

TAke a look at all the components you removed to do the fan replacement, ensure all wiring is connected to the associated component. Not sure what you touched but take a look at the following.

MAF

Idle Air Controller

throttle position sensor

Coolant temp sensor

Vacuum hoses

Double check the positive wires are attached the battery

Check for fuel & spark

Hope this points you in the right direction

TAke a look at all the components you removed to do the fan replacement, ensure all wiring is connected to the associated component. Not sure what you touched but take a look at the following.

MAF

Idle Air Controller

throttle position sensor

Coolant temp sensor

Vacuum hoses

Double check the positive wires are attached the battery

Check for fuel & spark

Hope this points you in the right direction

Ive already gone over all the connections and everything looks good. the battery IS NOT hooked up wrong. I have alreay mentioned fuel pump primes up but there is no spark. Ive been looking for someone who could explain what would cause no spark other than a bad ignition coil...

Ive already gone over all the connections and everything looks good. the battery IS NOT hooked up wrong. I have alreay mentioned fuel pump primes up but there is no spark. Ive been looking for someone who could explain what would cause no spark other than a bad ignition coil...

I assume its turning though right? i.e. - you're not just getting a click from the starter

Also, from experience - just looking or even pushing on a connector to make sure its seated won't fix the issue.

I've seen more than once where it took physically removing the connecter and reconnecting it fully to fix things.

TPS was one of those examples.

The fact that you just did this work on the fan shroud area and suddenly you're having problems leads us to believe that its something that was altered purposely or by accident during this recent job unless its a HUGE coincidence.

Archived