Volvospeed Forums

Pics Of Heater Core Install

Modus

]Well this is proberly the reason why I was losing coolant over a couple of months and smelling it comming out of the vents when the heat was on. I didn't relize all the coolant that was under the carpet due to the rubber mats that I have on top.

It was an easy job and I'd recomend it to any one who is a do it yourselfer. B)

kickpanelpass.jpg

carpet1.jpg

driversideleakscrews.jpg

out1.jpg

badcore.jpg

newcore.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics of an S70 change out. There is another member on the forum that had a local shop tell them you had to remove the dash to do the heater core change. I went and met with them and showed them how easy it would be and that the dash didn't have to come out. Glad to see you pulled it off. Maybe that shop will begin visiting this forum to pic up some tips from it's members. Again Good Job! :)

Nice pics of an S70 change out.  There is another member on the forum that had a local shop tell them you had to remove the dash to do the heater core change.  I went and met with them and showed them how easy it would be and that the dash didn't have to come out.  Glad to see you pulled it off.  Maybe that shop will begin visiting this forum to pic up some tips from it's members.  Again Good Job!  :)

Would the process be identical for a 1995 850 turbo sedan?

Would the process be identical for a 1995 850 turbo sedan?

From what i understand an 850 has the same core and is simular as taking the panels off. Thanks Bay13 you definatly don't need to remove the dash, as shown. However the AC system is another story. Glad you all like my work. I'll send those pics ASAP.

Modus

Modus, how did you post the pictures on this website?

I used a free image hosting site to host my pictures that I upload

I use the link they provided and place it in my post as an image link. When you post they automatically show up.

right now I have those core pics using this site.

imageshack

there is also

Photobucket

but Photobucket's servers are slow and I have trouble seeing the posted images.

cheers,

Modus./

Nice pics Modus!

This will definitely come in handy when I pull mine.

I've gotten the drivers side prepped, and in doing so, had to cut the sound deadening material that is under the carpet and remove a large chunk. The entire mat of foam was like a sponge and was SOAKED with coolant! I must have gotten half a gallon between the carpet and the sound deadening.

I'm not using the heat yet so there should be no more added, but I can't wait to replace the core.

Again, really nice! :)

I'm not using the heat yet so there should be no more added, but I can't wait to replace the core.

The FWD Volvo doesn't have a heater control valve, the coolant flows all the time through the heater core, you get heat in the car via moving dampers and letting air flow over the heater core, so don't be surprised if you still get coolant on the floor.

The FWD Volvo doesn't have a heater control valve, the coolant flows all the time through the heater core, you get heat in the car via moving dampers and letting air flow over the heater core, so don't be surprised if you still get coolant on the floor.

How would this explain only loosing coolant in the winter when the heat is used the most? I don't seem to loose a drop in the summer.

Do you suppose the cold weather could shrink the o rings enough to cause it to leak at the junction of the core and lines?

Any other ideas? :blink:

I have no Idea about the coolant loss winter vs summer.

I could only guess about the winter summer thing.

Guess: In the summer you run the A/C, when that happens the radiator fan automatically comes on in low speed and is running all the time. The temp at the sensor is around 95C and I've seen it as low as 90C. When the A/C is not running the fan doesn't come on until about 104c, so there is more heat and pressure, that "Might" be the reason.

Archived