Volvospeed Forums

Have You Tried A Cam Swop ?

Hi all just thought i would ask how many of you guys have swopped your cams and changed profiles etc etc i know everyone raves about NA cams but who has done back to back tests with them ???

I am just interested to see who has done it ?? :)

Russ

Guest 300+_T5R_855

I have swapped the cams in one of my cars. Turbo car with NA cams. The curve seems better, but no testing was done.

I've only ever changed them with a lot of other hardware components as well, so difficult to say what difference they made alone. I would say that their specs lend themselves well to a bigger turbo size compared to a stock TD04HL...

I've always thought this would be a great mod however i've worried about contact of the valves with the top of the cylinders if they were to be used in conjuction with a cam timing tool such as the one from QBM. The stock cam gears only allow for safe levels of adjustment with the turbo cams, however since the GLT cams have more lift, the safety limits of the adjustible cam gears may not be enough to prevent contact with the piston tops at the extremes of adjustment. Does anyone know anything about this?

Well.... anyone got the cam profiles for comparision? Like lift, duration, angle etc etc..... it will be sweet if we can have both turbo models, GLT and GLE models listed. Not to mention, it will be a super bonus if anyone got specs for custom profies with custom turbo specs so we can all benefit from it also ....

In my personal opinion, most people here (on Volvospeed) overlook or denounce changing cams. It is either Too Hard, or there is seemingly not the benefit from the work involved which abstains some here from swapping things around. It is quite the contrary though, as changing camshafts can completely change the Power, Torque, and Attitude of the engine; for Better or Worse ;)

Go custom, buddy of mine bent his motor up by throwing an NA cam in it
There are many people here who are using NA cams with no problems, myself included. Not to Insult your friends mechanical aptitude, but it would be quite arrogant to not question the installation or other factors and blame it on the camshaft itself.

Well.... anyone got the cam profiles for comparision? Like lift, duration, angle etc etc..... it will be sweet if we can have both turbo models, GLT and GLE models listed. Not to mention, it will be a super bonus if anyone got specs for custom profies with custom turbo specs so we can all benefit from it also ....

Here is the link to volfo mention of the turbo and Na cam specs. the differences aren't much, but they do make a difference.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...ost&p=63859

I would love to see some numbers for aftermarket cams though :D

There are many people here who are using NA cams with no problems, myself included. Not to Insult your friends mechanical aptitude, but it would be quite arrogant to not question the installation or other factors and blame it on the camshaft itself.

I completely agree, but custom is really the way to go IMHO

290 whp to 338 whp with cam swap, better tune, and 2 more psi

so maybe take 2 psi and tune = 30 whp

overall cam made about a 18 whp different

dyno verified

BUT don't forget that is with a 20G @ 22.5 psi / built engine

so if you put that cam on 15G or 18T I estimate only a 10 whp gain

Go custom, buddy of mine bent his motor up by throwing an NA cam in it

Definitely not 'cause of the cams...where're you looking for custom cams? Can't find blanks anywhere :/

Definitely not 'cause of the cams...where're you looking for custom cams? Can't find blanks anywhere :/

Seems weird though considering he's built around 100 volvo motors, etc, well whatever the case may be, i would also do na cams in mine.... there is a place here, and also a site in sweden that makes cams for the 850/x70 platform.

Guest 300+_T5R_855

Seems weird though considering he's built around 100 volvo motors, etc, well whatever the case may be, i would also do na cams in mine.... there is a place here, and also a site in sweden that makes cams for the 850/x70 platform.

I would be curious if they actually have the cam blanks made and then grind them or if they grind the Volvo camshafts and then use pads on the lifters to compensate for what they ground off, thus getting the desired lift and duration. Although this works it is not the best solution.

How many would be interested in camshaft blanks for these engines?

I would be curious if they actually have the cam blanks made and then grind them or if they grind the Volvo camshafts and then use pads on the lifters to compensate for what they ground off, thus getting the desired lift and duration. Although this works it is not the best solution.

How many would be interested in camshaft blanks for these engines?

Hi all i will see what i can get hold of and report back i find it amazing that over the years people rave about the N/A cams but never tested them correctly :rolleyes:

Russ

Archived