Volvospeed Forums

Timing Belt Is Not Centered On The Cam Gears

MikeG

What to do, what to do...

I recently did the T-Belt job, with new tensioner and pulleys, and now the belt does not center up on the gears and pulleys. It was rubbing the plastic cover, so I removed all that and have been running without for a week now.

I figured that the belt would center after a little driving, but it hasn't. Any ideas? Big deal or no?

first off, im not experienced with timing belts, etc on these cars but just out of curiousity did the pulleys and everything mount on the block flush? if not the cocked pulley may be causing that

just slide it back ? :huh:

does it come forward after driving for awhile or ? :huh:

very odd to say the least.

first off, im not experienced with timing belts, etc on these cars but just out of curiousity did the pulleys and everything mount on the block flush? if not the cocked pulley may be causing that

agreed check the tensionar pulley and the other pulley those are the only two that could be off.

Cams cant be unless your cams are bent then you would hear that .

So Mike, did it appear that the belt walked off the gears a little? When you put it on in the first place I assume you centered it and now it has "walked" this far and stopped. Yes?

You never took your cam gear loose (off) though, right?

Silly, the belt is on backwards!

The belt will not center itself. It would if the belt was crooked, unfortunately it's even all the way around. If you take your finger and push the belt further in it will work. If that doesn't work you're gonna have to loosen the tension on the belt and slide it further in. Sucks but it has to be done.

Kind of looks like the tensionr pullly is crooked ? :huh::blink::pizza:

WOW looking at it again I have to agree. :blink: Is the tensioner pulley actually on correctly. I think you have it caught on the back timing cover and it's pushed out a bit. When you installed it did it flop up and down freely?

WOW looking at it again I have to agree. :blink: Is the tensioner pulley actually on correctly. I think you have it caught on the back timing cover and it's pushed out a bit. When you installed it did it flop up and down freely?

ohhh good point

only pics i have are of a manual one not a automatic but could point out better what where talking about.

FWDPics021.jpg

FWDPics019.jpg

FWDPics020.jpg

hey my man tension that manual tensioner. It's looking a bit slack.

yeah I tighten it up as much as possilbe dont have the money for a hydolic one and other items at $200 right now .

That and it never gets driven .

Bingo!

I forgot that the plastic backing is really all around in there, so I just moved the coolant reservoir and got in there with a mirror, and the tensioner pulley was not in all the way. A little banging around and I got another 3/4 turn on the bolt before it tightened up. I started it up and the whole thing aligns perfectly now, all the way around. Thanks, guys! :D

@Zohan: BTW, I can't see any of the pics that you've posted recently. They're there in the source code, but the images aren't. Is Photobucket down, or do I live downstream from some bad DNS info right now?

Archived