Volvospeed Forums

S80 Ball Joint Removal?

jl2

A Volvo tech told me this morning that I need to replace lower control arms (just ordered them). I figure I might as well change the ball joints too. What special tools, if any, do I need? Is the typical BJ tool kit (big C clamp and different size drivers) OK to use? It's an 03 S80 2.9. Thanks.

A Volvo tech told me this morning that I need to replace lower control arms (just ordered them). I figure I might as well change the ball joints too. What special tools, if any, do I need? Is the typical BJ tool kit (big C clamp and different size drivers) OK to use? It's an 03 S80 2.9. Thanks.

Why whole control arms? Usually it's just the bushings. Did you hit something?

Why whole control arms? Usually it's just the bushings. Did you hit something?

The tech said I needed bushings. He made it sound as if the bushings require a special press to replace. I figured it makes the most sense to replace the whole arm - it'd be easier and less expensive than farming it out. If it needs just a typical CA bushing press kit - that would be great. Once I've taken the CA's off (or apart) I'd like to change the BJs too while I'm at it. What do you think?

Thats the best way to find out. It's not a bad idea. How much are the arms each? The bushings are about $80-$100 for all 4 of them. Yes you need a special tool to press them out because of the angle of the arm and that tool is only to get the front bushing out. A regular drift and press can do the rear one. It might cost about $250-$300 in labor for the entire job. I believe that is better than paying for 2 arms and the labor for that, not sure though.

Thats the best way to find out. It's not a bad idea. How much are the arms each? The bushings are about $80-$100 for all 4 of them. Yes you need a special tool to press them out because of the angle of the arm and that tool is only to get the front bushing out. A regular drift and press can do the rear one. It might cost about $250-$300 in labor for the entire job. I believe that is better than paying for 2 arms and the labor for that, not sure though.

My thoughts exactly. New Febi arms with bushings from eeuroparts are 170, no shipping charge. FCP Groton has "aftermarket" (Scantech?) for 145 plus shipping. If anyone knows whether or not a standard bushing driver kit (C-clamp with sleeves and punches) will work on Volvos, please post. Also, does a standard size pickle fork work the BJ's? Thanks.

Is the typical BJ tool kit OK to use?

What does this BJ Tool Kit include and where might I purchase one?

What does this BJ Tool Kit include and where might I purchase one?

Sorry about the confusion - I think I used the wrong term. As I understand it, there is a "pickle fork" that is used to pry the ball joint out of the steering knuckle. A "kit" as I was thinking of it consists of a large C clamp and a variety of bushing drivers, usually used to remove bushings of various types.

I would like to know if thre is a special "Volvo" bushing driver tool, or can I use any bushing kit to remove the control arm bushings? If so, I would do that instead of buying new CAs.

Sorry about the confusion - I think I used the wrong term. As I understand it, there is a "pickle fork" that is used to pry the ball joint out of the steering knuckle. A "kit" as I was thinking of it consists of a large C clamp and a variety of bushing drivers, usually used to remove bushings of various types.

I would like to know if thre is a special "Volvo" bushing driver tool, or can I use any bushing kit to remove the control arm bushings? If so, I would do that instead of buying new CAs.

The ball joint is pressed into the spindle of the car and held in by 2 14mm bolts. You need a chisel and a hammer or an air hammer with a chisel bit at the end. Then use a brass punch or a large drift to hammer the ball joint into the housing again. Pickle fork will only separate the ball joint from the control arm if it's seized. If you can't get the tool to press the bushings out for the front of the control arm the I would do that. I know the dealer won't lend that tool out. So pull a favor with a friend or something. Otherwise it looks like you buying the arms.

The ball joint is pressed into the spindle of the car and held in by 2 14mm bolts. You need a chisel and a hammer or an air hammer with a chisel bit at the end. Then use a brass punch or a large drift to hammer the ball joint into the housing again. Pickle fork will only separate the ball joint from the control arm if it's seized. If you can't get the tool to press the bushings out for the front of the control arm the I would do that. I know the dealer won't lend that tool out. So pull a favor with a friend or something. Otherwise it looks like you buying the arms.

Is there a particular size needed to seat the BJs? Is it a Volvo-only tool?

Volvo uses a set of locater pins into the threaded holes for the bolts and a fitted drift to slap with a hammer. Get a ball joint and go to hardware store and fit the Ball Joint to a deep socket. Use the socket as your drift and the old bolts to line up the ball joint in the spindle, hit it with a good sized hammer. Vowalah :D. Then install the new bolts.

Volvo uses a set of locater pins into the threaded holes for the bolts and a fitted drift to slap with a hammer. Get a ball joint and go to hardware store and fit the Ball Joint to a deep socket. Use the socket as your drift and the old bolts to line up the ball joint in the spindle, hit it with a good sized hammer. Vowalah :D. Then install the new bolts.

Many thanks.

Archived