Volvospeed Forums

Car Stalling...code Po103

Hello all,

I have a 98 S70 with 148k miles. My car stumbled today and the CEL light came on. I took it to autozone and it has a P0103 code and that is the only code showing. I did a seach here and it says it's the mass air flow sensor. Is there anything else to check to confirm that this sensor is my only problem? Is this a simple replacement part?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

It's simple to remove/replace. There's a test to run to make sure that's your culprit, I beleive it goes unplug the MAF while the car's running, if it shuts off the sensor's fine, if it continues running then that's your problem.

Someone else please chime in and verify thats right.

You could try cleaning the MAF first, sometimes that sees good results, althought keep in mind it's only a temporary fix. But for 5 bucks at Advance Auto or similar autoparts stores I think it's worth a shot. You're looking for something labeled MAF cleaner.

If it is the MAF then cleaning it may hold you over while you fit a new sensor into the budget.

Good luck. :)

the MAF test goes like this:

you do the test if your car is running like crap, rough idle and stumbling etc, and you think the MAF is the problem. There may or may not be a MAF code.

the test is to shut the car off, unplug the MAF, then start it back up. If the MAF is the problem, then the car will run better with the MAF unplugged. These cars run OK without a MAF. If it still runs like crap then keep looking, the MAF is not the reason.

Of course the test will throw a MAF code just due to it being unplugged, but that is irrelevant :). You can reset the code.

A P0103 could be a lot of things, even just running rich due to old plugs etc. I wouldn't jump on replacing the pricey MAF right away although I admit, MAF is a good possibility. If your car is stumbling consistently, try unplugging the MAF (do the test). If you think it is the MAF cleaning is worth a shot, as is the routine to check the connection (click here).

Search p0103 here you'll find a lot of posts. Also check carefully for vacuum leaks.

Thanks for the great replys,

My cars not missing or running rough. It stalls. It will usually start right back up. It will stall at an idle or while driving at higher rpm's. I havn't had it miss or run rough. I changed my fuel filter before I had the code pulled.

Thanks,

Randy

Archived