Volvospeed Forums

Rear Seat Removal And Swap With Pics

sconeman

First thing to mention here. GET YOURSELF some PRYBARS before attempting this job. Oh Yeah!!

My original intention for this job was to install the 3rd row seat. Little did I know that you also have to swap out the 3rd row seat-belts and latches as well as the 2nd row seat for them to function correctly. There is a latch on the back of the 2nd row seat that keeps the 3rd row seat from falling down onto it's occupants. As such, I decided it was pretty important since the occupants of the 3rd row seat are only 2-3 feet tall.

Having read many FS thread about people trading 3rd row seats and such I figured this it was going to be an easy job. Don't be fooled. The rear seats are a trick to get out and harder to get back in right.

I searched VS and only found 3 threads that mention removing the 2nd row seat and nothing on bay13 so I did the job camera in hand.

1 more...the standard disclaimer. This is not an all-inclusive guide and if you mess your car up somehow following my instructions please do not send me a PM!! Thank you.

Pull out the side and bottom panels, the spare etc.

P1040338.jpg

P1040415.jpg

You can swap the 3rd row seat belts and clips at anytime during the process but I did it first because at that point I didn't realize the 2nd row seat had to be swapped as well.

P1040429.jpg

P1040428.jpg

Now to move on to the rear seat removal. Make sure the rear seats are unlatched and leaning forward. In this position you should be able to see the retaining clip for the side bolster. Compress the clip with a screwdriver as shown and pull the bolster out of the clip then up and away from the wheel well to release. Do this on both sides.

P1040409.jpg

Next use a flat prybar to release the clips that hold the side "seat hinges" (don't know what else to call these) together. As shown in the next picture. Basically put the prybar between the seat and the wheel well under the hinge and leverage the clip in HARD until it snaps free. Then take a screwdriver and pry it up and out of the hinge. Until it looks like the next pic. Don't worry about removing it all the way, as it'll come flying out after you pry the seat free...which is the next step.

P1040387.jpg

Get a friend or two to help you with this because I was only able to do 1 of the seats by myself. The other ones required two people... and two prybars...and jumping/cursing. You'll know when it releases. These things are not meant to come out.

P1040388.jpg

P1040416.jpg

P1040418.jpg

P1040396.jpg

Remove the 3 bolts that hold the seatbelts to the car as illustrated and then Pop both sides up and out and then pull the double seat away from the single. There is a 1 1/2 inch shaft with a knob on the double seat that fits through a bracket and into the single.

P1040384.jpg

P1040399.jpg

P1040422.jpg

P1040410.jpg

Oh yeah, I dynamated my car like crazy since everything was out, including a double layer over the stock muffler location which is very flimsy.

P1040404.jpg

P1040402.jpg

pics of the hinge locations with the seat out.

P1040405.jpg

P1040400.jpg

Now just repeat this process on the donor car and smile your halfway home!

To reinstall: reverse the process but beware of these first two things. MAKE SURE you replace the bushing in-between the seats or they will rattle. Of course I found this out the hard way and had to remove them again. Also when you reinstall I found a PICK AX to be very helpful.

P1040384-1.jpg

The hinge is spring loaded and rotates on the seat so to reseat it in the wheel well bracket, I had to have one person push down on the seat as hard as they could while I hammered at the back side of hinge with the pick ax to realign it so it would snap into place.

GOOD luck!

P1040419.jpg

P1040420.jpg

P1040424.jpg

P1040425.jpg

P1040430.jpg

P1040431.jpg

P1040433.jpg

P1040435.jpg

P1040436.jpg

P1040437.jpg

P1040438.jpg

THERE you're DONE!

cheers!

Kristian

How does the dynamat help with the exhaust noise??

It helps with the resonance. The body panels vibrate at that same frequency. I put six sheets in the back of the car total, an expensive addition but worth it IMO. At this point all you can hear is the exhaust note..no annoying resonance. Road noise is reduced also. I'll put more in as I do other jobs on the car. I'm hoping for a quiet highway ride with very little road noise.

WHOA MANG!!

There is a hole in the back of every 850/V70 2nd row seat for that 3rd seat latch, hidden behind the carpet! All you have to do is cut the carpet and buy the latch from the dealer for about $20!

http://www.geocities.com/ozbrick850/rearseat/3rdSeatInst.pdf

?ARRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

can we get this posted somewhere..or am I stupid and missed this in bay 13 somewhere??

NOTE. I would have swapped them anyway because I wanted the child-seat belts that were in my brother-in-laws car. my car didn't have them.

P1040423.jpg

Archived