Volvospeed Forums

How To Diy - Headlight Lens Replacement For S60

NJGreenBudd

Okay so one day I was driving on Rt 80 and a big rock came out of nowhere and smashed my drivers side headlight. The glass broke but didn't fall apart, I drove for a while and then decided to replace the lens.

The replacement headlight lens cost $60 where as an entire headlight assembly costs about $180. These are often listed on online auction sites.

Here's a thread by Xcelerate which has good instructions for removing the bumper and headlight unit itself -

How to replace your '01 S60 headlights with the '05's

Once you have the headlight removed we can begin the lens replacement.

Here is my headlight with the broken lens-

103_0263.jpg

First thing to do is preheat your oven to 200'F. We will use the heat of the oven to soften the glue holding the lens to the housing. Remove the metal clips and any rubber rim prior to baking. Bake the headlight assembly at 200'F for 10 minutes.

Remove the headlight assembly and immediately pry the lens away from the housing with a broad flat head screwdriver or similar tool. Use gloves so as not to burn yourself.

103_0265.jpg

Housing with no lens-

103_0266.jpg

New lens-

103_0262.jpg

I added a bead of weather strip adhesive to the remaining glue and pressed the new lens back onto the housing. You must press firmly to seat the lens properly. Use the metal clips to hold the lens to the housing while the headlight cools and the glue dries.

103_0268.jpg

Reinstall headlight unit and bumper-

103_0271.jpg

I did this this morning and it was not bad at all, it was my first time taking the bumper off and everything went pretty quick. The headlight lens swap is a money saver if you like doing this sort of thing. My first real contribution to the forum, hope somebody else might be able to use this.

B)

I briefly tried to pry it apart before heating but it was deforming the plastic housing. This was after the car was sitting in the sun on a 80'F day.

It came right apart after the 10 minutes in the oven. I don't think I'll be doing it too often but it sure works.

And that's kinda funny you mentioned the fogs, I just placed an order for the stock units today. How much does it cost at the dealer to have have them update the ECU for the fogs?? And I don't have a switch for the foglights on my light panel, what do I do here for this??

you could probably get a oem switch at eeuroparts or fcpgroton etc.... and i'm sure someone ca send u the wiring diagram off vadis and u can save a bit of money or pay heaps at the dealer , not sure how much they will charge you, it's probably eisier to install the and then get Volvo to do the software upgrade. Mine were stock, but HIDS are definately hot man, i luv mine.

hahah u beat me to it oh yeah!. :P

Oh look at that, but they're doing 3 or 4" at a time with a heat gun. This takes 10 min in teh oeven and the entire housing separates quite easily.

Everyone keeps saying the switch comes with the fog and relay bt I didn't buy a "kit", I just got he OEM fog lights them selves. I would love a linkl to the relays and switch as I have searched for them many times.

Thanks.

Oh look at that, but they're doing 3 or 4" at a time with a heat gun. This takes 10 min in teh oeven and the entire housing separates quite easily.

Everyone keeps saying the switch comes with the fog and relay bt I didn't buy a "kit", I just got he OEM fog lights them selves. I would love a linkl to the relays and switch as I have searched for them many times.

Thanks.

Yeah but an oven weakens the laminate on the lens cups.

Oh look at that, but they're doing 3 or 4" at a time with a heat gun. This takes 10 min in teh oeven and the entire housing separates quite easily,

Temperature setting for the oven?

I'll try to do it when "the one that I must obey" is out of the house.... :D

Temperature setting for the oven?

I'll try to do it when "the one that I must obey" is out of the house.... :D

I used 200'F for 10 minutes, the plastic wasn't even that hot, just made the glue soft. I doubt very much that my laminate was damaged.

I used 200'F for 10 minutes, the plastic wasn't even that hot, just made the glue soft. I doubt very much that my laminate was damaged.

I hear that a lot. And its always a funny story later on. In the old days it was cleaning the cups with windex. More recently its been people trying to make plastic.

Quick question about doing this,I have a cracked headlight been cracked for some time now. Does water getting into the headlight ruin the mirroring of the unit? Just asking so I dont waste money and effot on this if in the end i have to replace the headlight. thanks

Archived