After a few week delay, my rad and ignition coils showed up. I completed the wiring for the coil on plug conversion, so that's done. There weren't many places to mount the Earls oil cooler and in hindsight, I would have bought one a little wider and shorter. Luckily the rad came with brackets welded for the A/C condenser which I was able to use to mount my own brackets for the oil cooler. I never use the A/C so I had already torn it out.
I'm using Russell -8 nylon AN hose for the oil cooler that run to the fittings I had welded onto the stock lines I cut off.
I got the cams in and was able to set them up by lift @ TDC on cyl 3. Worked great.
I got my bro to cut and weld the big water pipe at the back of the motor to get the water line outlets out of the way of the compressor inlet and also to aim the water return port from the turbo down and away from runner 1 on the manifold. Water lines are plumbed for the turbo. Next is to have my buddy weld up an oil drain and weld a vband to the turbo compressor outlet. Then I'm going to wrap the manifold and install it with the turbo. Once that's done, I can rejig the intercooler piping over the motor and the 4" intake pipe to the turbo. Last bit will be to test fit Trent's downpipe and modify as needed. Probably redo the wastegate dump and plumb it back into the downpipe also. Definitely the flange will need to be cut off and the one for my 3" GT outlet welded. The only thing I need to buy is injectors and i'm leaning towards the ID1000s. Then I have to decide if I wanna redo all the fuel lines or just wait til next winter. I have all the stuff but I just wanna drive my carrrrrrrr vvvvrrroommm pssshh &6%$#)*&#@
Got it all ready to set the cams but the motor seemed too difficult to turn over. Piston clearance was good on all cyls. Seemed like perhaps the cams were binding since it's not the original cover? perhaps the cut up cover was warped?
I quickly bailed on the whole idea and pulled it all apart. I'm going to measure off cyl 3 and use my original cam cover.
First I had to create access on the exh side. Tapped out the plug and pressed in another filler neck. Dual oil cap status!
Time to find tdc on cyl 3 and put things back together..I swear if I ever have to do this shit again, i'm pulling the motor.
Progress is slowwwww. Installed the new water pump, idler pulley. Had to stop when none of my torque wrenches would fit between the frame rail when trying to torque the new timing belt tensioner pulley. Picking up a new torque wrench today.
Picked up this TDC locator for $20 shipped off amazon and it works great.
Marked true TDC
Spun the crank to Volvo TDC and set the cams in the open cover. With the slots aligned, they look to be in the ballpark so it should just be a matter of fine tuning them
Wire is just to hold the cams in the cover during placement.
Plenty of assembly lube used, don't worry
I have not tightened the cover down, but it doesn't look like much room to get the dial gauge on the lifter, especially at the correct angle inline with the valve stem.
DO88 rad should be here this week with some new Volvo coils. COP wiring is figured out. Working on adjustments to the big water pipe so I can finish plumbing the turbo. Also starting to mock up the revised intercooler piping.
Looking at it now, it might almost be easier to get the dial gauge on the cyl 3 lifters..hmmm