Dig this.. Literally ..
We wanted to repave a part next to the house where rain water didn't move. After heavy rain a larger puddle of water kept standing against the house for longer time.
Don't have picture of standing water before the pavement went out but this is what it looked like, (left red stone)
After taking the stones out water still didn't move that fast. The moss on the wall stones shows where the water often kept standing.
There was a drain but it was blocked. Tested the drain by pushing a running hose in the drain pipe but after about 5 ft it stopped. Digging at the spot showed a brick drain collector with 3 pipes. One where we came from, one blocked and one leading to the back of the house. We were under the impression that rain water drainage runs to the front of the house to the street because this is how it has been done over the years. There is a ditch at the back of the house but it is 68 yard from the drain point.. Maybe there was more to it so we put the hose in the pipe leading to the back of the house but after 12 yard it stopped. Measuring the distance above grond with some assumptions led us to an apple tree... Hm.. Maybe a root growing through the pipe so after searching for the pipe with a metal pin at the collector point and again near the tree revealed something present near the tree at the same depth. About a foot and a half. Digging at the spot didn't turn up a pipe but debris.. Brick.. Lots of it. But no pipe. After more digging and removing brick, plastered brick and more brick we ended up in what appeared to be an old layered brick septic tank..
But no pipe..
Being fed up I called a plumber who I knew had a very long distance high pressure cleaning device with a transmitter. Just the right gadget for the job.
Two days later the guy arrived and rolled out the equipment. A couple of minutes later the cleaner went underground and a lot of noise could be heard coming from under ground going in the direction of the septic tank after which it stopped.. briefly. The noise went on going underneath the terras in to the lawn behind the house after which it stopped again. The plumber said that it had entered some sort of well or another collector point but it was underneath the lawn. Using the very sophisticated receiver the plumber pinpointed the spot where the transmitter in the cleaner tip had stopped. Using the metal pin again there appeared to be something there and some more pinching gave us a contour which looked like a rectangular shaped box or lid so we started digging. (In the immaculate lawn..)
Turned out to be another collector point with 4 pipes one pointing to the ditch. So maybe the drain was running to the ditch after all..
Next the high pressure cleaner was put in the pipe leading to the ditch and it went on for another 23 yard after which it stopped again. Pinpointing the location gave us a direction so we searched the ditch for a drain exit but couldn't find anything. One more try with the cleaner only progressed a couple of yard but that was it.
After the plumber left I decided to get the mini digger and dig up the pipe at both locations which revealed that the angle of how the the pipe was running from the house was different from assumed. Another search revealed the drain exit in the ditch but turned out to be a couple of yards from the previous assumed location.
The drain exit was overgrown and partially blocked with root/grass whatever stuff. In an attempt to clean the pipe a lot of rubbish came out..
Using the water hose again in the opposite direction from ditch to house it appears the drain was blocked little over 5 yard from the ditch at which point it appeared that one of the poles of a nearby fence was right on top of where the pipe ran.
I decided to dig up the pipe between the two block points, about 8 yard, only to find an old cracked fence pole running right through the pipe and a huge tree root running in to the pipe.
The only way to solve the issue was to install a new piece of pipe,
Finding the larger brick chunks which are the remainders of an old pig stable made me curious..
Investigating the history of the house already gave me some knowledge but I hadn't expected to find old pieces of the stable.
A bit of history,
December 1944 our RAF friend made some nice aerial photographs and a couple of hours searching the photo's revealed the situation of the house at the time,
The stable can clearly be seen at the bottom.
This is Apple Maps 2012 data,
A already had some pictures of the house dating somewhere '70's,
And also drawing made in 1974 right before the stable was demolished.
Some digging in the week before to map the sewage system outside the house already revealed a foundation of one of the main poles of the former stable.
Which exactly corresponded with the location shown on the old drawing so I started searching for the foundation of the pole next to it to reveal this,
So there had to be more.. and there was,
This is the corner as shown in the picture. Turns out the foundation of the front and the side up to the big doors is still present..