All reasonable offers considered.
Serious inquiries only, please.
1996 855R / 850R Wagon, Red
Modified with turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc
5 Volans, 1 in the trunk.
Located in Goshen, KY just outside of Louisville, KY
Previous owner, Mike Mak of the Bay Area, CA told me the following. I verified everything by making calls and emails:
I actually know quite a lot about the history of the car. Here's what I can tell you. If you would like to see the car please call me at 408/667-0531
1st owner (3/8/96 - 4/27/01)
The 1st owner of the 850R is the owner of Volvo Centrum of San Francisco. They are a Volvo repair shop since 1970 and took very good care of the car. All major work
was done on the car at Volvo Centrum up till the daughter took the car to Arizona.
Here is the Yelp page on them..
2nd owner (4/27/01 - 5/13/10)
The 2nd owner of the 850R is the daughter of the owner of Volvo Centrum of San Francisco. Some time in 2001 she was rear-ended and they decided to buy it back and fix
wagon. The owner of Volvo Centrum told me the repair was fairly minor and the repairs were done very well. All major work was done on the car at Volvo Centrum up
till the daughter took the car to Arizona.
3rd Owner (5/13/10 - 7/20/11)
The 3rd owner was David Tracy. He bought it for his mother and last June I tried to buy the car and even had it checked out by a local shop in AZ and it came back
with a good report. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make the arrangements to buy the car and get it shipped from AZ to CA.
4th Owner (7/20/11 - 6/5/12)
It looks like the car was traded into Van Chevrolet Arizona in Scottsdale, AZ and eventually sold to a dealer whom I bought it from.
5th Owner (6/5/12-)
I currently own the car and have installed new brake rotors, pads and a new front axle. The are a few minor cosmetic issues with the car but there are no major dents
in the body. The car is in pretty good physical and in excellent condition.
I had a mechanic go inspect it, the report came back good. Tracks straight, drives well, good overall condition.
So, I bought it.
6th Owner, myself, (9/21/12-Present)
- purchased with 90k miles on it and had it shipped home.
- Because my job requires the use of a company vehicle, the car was rarely driven, so in 6 yrs I've put 30k miles on it.
- Around 100k I decided to modify it. During the tuning process I bent a connecting rod, so the motor was torn down for repairs and some extras were dealt with as
well. Here's everything I can think of that was done to it. Very fun car to drive.
- transmission cooler kit
- m4.4 ecu for tunerpro tuning
- a bnib Volvo blue box 19t turbo w/7cm angle flange exhaust housing
- S60R exhaust manifold
- 1993 NA Cams (verified 1993 with the part numbers stamped into the cams)
- 3" angle flange stainless steel downpipe, v banded
- Eastern 200CPI bullet cat, CJ yother 3" to stock muffler adapter. V band @ downpipe/cat
- rebuilt S60R green injectors
- do88 intercooler with complete RIP kit and all related silicone
- CXRacing H-Beam connecting rods and hardware
- new heater core, new oil cooler lines, new turbo coolant hoses, new heater core hoses
- all new CV boots, GKN/Lobro
- knock sensor harness changed to newer style and new knock sensors installed
- at mile 130,578, where it sits now, a combustion event occurred. The bad kind. I had it towed home, tore it down, found a blown head gasket (cylinder 1), and also
found the heater core hose had popped off of the back of the head. Everything else checked out fine.
I replaced the head gasket, put it all back together, and the car started up and ran like a champ. Pretty quickly I noticed coolant coming from the front of the motor.
I pulled the intake and found that the block is cracked at the front, so back on went the intake and plumbing, drove it out of the garage and parked it.
This was January 2019
The car will happily move under it's own power, so that's helpful for getting it onto a trailer or in/out of your garage, but it needs a new bottom end or a skilled welder.
Everything else is fine.
AC works great, heat works, windows and sunroof work, power locks work, power seats, heated seats etc. It all worked perfectly well when I drove it last.
The car at the end had become a daily for me, I drove it about 10k miles from 8/18 to 1/19 .. great car.
Tracks straight, drives well, transmission shows ZERO signs of trouble
Drivers side front tire has a slow leak.
Tires are in OK shape, but not a whole lot of life left. They're good for now.
Full size Volan spare in the trunk.
Rear brakes are brand new.
Downpipe flex joint failed 12/18 and I had it replaced with a high quality Vibrant Performance 61006
Interior is in great shape with a few issues as seen in pics -- \
- drivers side leather has typical pilling, but it's not bad.
- Dash has a minor crack in it
- airbag portion of passenger side dash is lifting at a corner.
- Headliner is beginning to sag in a few spots.
Exterior is in good shape with a few issues. I'll disclose as much as I can think of:
- minor dings and chips here and there; it's a 23 year old car.
- chin spoiler area was broken in a spot when I received it; I repaired it with a good deal of thin steel and epoxy (all hidden). It's held up find for 40k miles. See
- drivers side front corner of bumper has some cracking and damage. See pic.
- passenger side of hood @ grill area is slightly smushed from someone backing into the car. Not bad. See pic.
- A-pillar area @ drivers side door got gouged from a passing lawncare trailer. I masked the area off and spray painted to protect it. See pic.
- I spoke with one of the previous owners, David Tracy, and he confirmed that the drivers side got scratched so he had -the drivers side only- resprayed at one point. The clear is peeling
in areas. Keep it under wax and you can't even see it. See pics.
To be perfectly honest, I think they just sprayed clear on top of the factory single stage paint --- the paint that is under the clear is a dead match for the rest of
NOTE: Only the driver's side was coated with clear.
I have been intentionally blowing the clear off as it peels over time, because the paint cleans, waxes, and matches the rest of the car. If there's some kind of damage
underneath the clear, I haven't found it.
More pics here:
1996 850R Pics taken 06042019