Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mark_850t

Ac Delco Boost Control Solenoid / Tcv Mod Impressions

As most of you know, this is a cheap and easy modification that really makes a difference in the turbo's response and more of a feeling of power elasticity / availability throughout the powerband, mainly the midrange.

About a week ago I ordered the AC Delco TCV / BCS for only about 20 bucks, along with the two pigtails that I was able to locate through a previous thread on this site.

My impressions are that this is well worth it, you won't notice a gigantic difference, but you will achieve more peak boost in some instances and you WILL see more boost faster and it's much more responsive to your throttle/right foot! This piece is from the GMC Syclone / Typhoon / Turbo Sunbird I believe, and although GM usually makes crap, AC Delco made a great solenoid here and it works better than the volvo piece for like 1/5 the price. I highly recommend this mod. You can also get a similar one from IPD which is flashier, but does the same job for about 100 bucks. This mod cost me 40 dollars total including shipping and only took a half hour to install once I got the battery, air cleaner assembly out of the way. I highly recommend this mod. It acts like a different car now.

Doing mine today. Is the result immediate or is there some learning between the ECU and TCV/BCS.

i am glad to hear that the delco is a suitable replacement for the round style bcs from 850s.

obviously it has repeatedly been proven to work well for the 70 series bcs.

Looks like I don't have a fancy plug for mine so I will just have to splice into the wires. Has anyone done this on the 850?

Looks like I don't have a fancy plug for mine so I will just have to splice into the wires. Has anyone done this on the 850?

yes. You can either splice in, or I can get you the URL to the bosch connector. Good soldering job and electrical tape/shrinktube will do the same job. I have a 95 850 turbo.

REMOVE THE BATTERY during the install. Drive the car sanely for 10 miles or so before dipping into it so that it relearns everything correctly. Remember that the hose from the turbo goes to the shiny nipple, the hose from the intake goes to the plastic nipple where the foam / wierd clamp was, and the one from teh wastegate goes on the remaining nipple. To make this easier, remove the battery first, then remove the air intake tract from the grille to the air cleaner assempbly, then UNSCREW and UNPLUG the stock bcs from the airbox location, then remove the top airbox cleaner assembly, then the bottom part of the air cleaner by just pulling up and to the left, then you should be able to get it done pretty easily.

I couldn't tell the differerence too much right away, but after the first 10 miles or so I really notice it big time. Much more responsive.

here is another thread on it... this is a link to this message board, of course. http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...100231&st=0

one more thing, you might as well make sure the polarity of the wires stays the same, I am pretty sure it works both ways but might as well get it right to ensure proper and carefree functionality.

Thanks Mark. I am just going to splice and heat shrink it.

To make this easier (what pissed me off about the other threads regarding this subject is that the part numbers for everything weren't in the same thread:

ACDelco 214-474 Valve Assembly (This is the TCV)

Pico 5605PT 1987-1992 GM Windshield Washer Pump / Low Coolant Sensor

Two Lead Wiring Pigtail (This connects/clamps to ac delco TCV)

Bosch Type EV1 Injector Connector MATE Connector Pigtail (This connects / plugs in to the stock plugin by the battery)

solder the two connectors together, plug the bosch one into the stock plugin by the battery location, plug the

pico unit into the ac delco TCV. this is a very very easy upgrade once you get things out of the way to work.

Also, you might want to buy some vacuum hoses if you notice your stock ones are brittle or shi**y. Might want to do this

before you start ripping vacuum hoses off stock bcs and they are too short if you break them...

Took like maybe 10 minutes to do this. So much smoother on the acceleration now. I still have a boost leak somewhere though...

And for the record the blue wire on the 850 BCS module is the positive signal.

Took like maybe 10 minutes to do this. So much smoother on the acceleration now. I still have a boost leak somewhere though...

This isn't a replacement for a manual boost controller, it's just a mod/upgrade from the stock volvo turbo control valve/boost control solenoid. It is more responsive than the stock piece and calculates boost quicker. I can't pretend to really know the exact inner workings of this piece, but it does indeed work better than stock. I don't have any experience with a manual boost controller... what I posted is what I know just about the swap, for the most part. Thanks

Just as an fyi, ballenger motorsports carries the delco and bosch plugs for rolling your own pigtail

Just as an fyi, ballenger motorsports carries the delco and bosch plugs for rolling your own pigtail

They want $45 for the valve. Other guys have said it cost under $35 to do. Anyone have a cheaper vendor?