Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rbodor3

Cooling Mist

Anybody tried coolingmist water injection kit? They sell on eBay but actually got a great referral from this guy http://members.cox.net/stevemonroe/AlcoholInjMod.html who seems legit as a DIY injection kit guy. Price is good ($199 on eBay for their delux which is basically = aquamist stage 1), and they have all sorts of various kits. Plus they're right down the street (apparently) from me.

Anybody tried coolingmist water injection kit? They sell on eBay but actually got a great referral from this guy http://members.cox.net/stevemonroe/AlcoholInjMod.html who seems legit as a DIY injection kit guy. Price is good ($199 on eBay for their delux which is basically = aquamist stage 1), and they have all sorts of various kits. Plus they're right down the street (apparently) from me.

i helped my buddy put that kit on his brand new mustang (naturally aspirated) , he loves it , you could def feel the difference , i'm sure it would be 10x better on a turbo car

and on a turbo you can run a 50/50 mix (he runs a mostly water mix)

Cool man. I've been thinking about making my own kit but honestly I'd only be saving a couple $20s, plus with it getting close to the 100F in Atlanta it's about time.

Make sure you get an adjustable flow regulator so you aren't just turning on the pump all at once. You want a nice smooth transition to 100% spray. That diy looks good and the price is good.

450 for the hassle-free stage II kit from snowperformance is totally worth it though.

Problem with the cheaper kits are the pumps are not as robust and they are huge. Finding a decent mounting location can be a PITA

This is from the forum =

"I wish i heard about you guys sooner. I payed way to much for Vari-Cool kit form coolingmist. Anyone thinking about buying from coolingmist, Don't. There support was horable. The guy on the phone was rude to me. After all the b.s. to find out there controller would not work right in my car. He gave me round about answers, etc. Felt like it was a telemarketers speal. I am so pissed at coolingmist.

Well after calling them I ebayed my kit and bought yours. My friend had one of your kits and i thought since theres was more expensive it would be better. :( So I sold there kit and bought yours. Coolingmist Vari-Cool Controller is also bulky compared to your controller. Your controller owns his. Its just so much easier to use."

Devilsown

Here is another kit that is cheap Alcohol injection - This site recommends using windshield washer fluid?? They say in contains methanol

only certain kinds of washer fluid contains methanol , actually i believe they plan on stopping the use of methanol washer fluid in the US ... or maybe it was europe i dont remember

only certain kinds of washer fluid contains methanol , actually i believe they plan on stopping the use of methanol washer fluid in the US ... or maybe it was europe i dont remember

it would be cool to use, $2-$3 a gallon, and the site says it contains about 50% methanol

most of those companies make there own WMI mixes , i suggest buying from them sense i'm sure its made for the purpose , versus washer fluid which is def not designed to go in ur engine hahahaha

Best mix for down to 20F is

75% distilled water

25% methanol.

Methanol is ~5.60 a gallon right now so not an expensive mix at all.

If its super cold jump to 60% water, 39% methanol, 1% caster oil

what about runnin a 50/50 mix for added power , you may have to tune for it but my understanding is that its like having a safer 50 shot of nos , well , unless ur tank runs dry and then ur engine goes boom lol

what about just 100% water?

100% water can/will freeze

You want to run as much water as you can. Only add enough methanol to keep the tank from freezing up.

Che - are you recommending a higher h20 concentration specifically towards the hotter climate, or that the 75/25 mixture is the best balance for performance gains? Just so I know, either way I plan to run as much h20 as possible simply because I'm aiming to battle the heat of Atlanta rather than be able to turn up the boost.

T5Manual - I'd speculate that the coolingmist customer service is probably crap, but the difference is I'm looking for the basic setup - tank, nozzle, and pump. No fancy LED monitoring system, control system, or progressive injection. Just old fashioned when I hit 10psi turn on the water.

The alcoholinjection link you provided though looks like pretty much exact same setup with a smaller, more powerful pump and only $20 more.

Che - are you recommending a higher h20 concentration specifically towards the hotter climate, or that the 75/25 mixture is the best balance for performance gains? Just so I know, either way I plan to run as much h20 as possible simply because I'm aiming to battle the heat of Atlanta rather than be able to turn up the boost.

T5Manual - I'd speculate that the coolingmist customer service is probably crap, but the difference is I'm looking for the basic setup - tank, nozzle, and pump. No fancy LED monitoring system, control system, or progressive injection. Just old fashioned when I hit 10psi turn on the water.

The alcoholinjection link you provided though looks like pretty much exact same setup with a smaller, more powerful pump and only $20 more.

You will get better cooling with the water. If you need more octane change your fuel.