Strange Vibration When I Brake

TurboC7098

My initial thought was warped rotors...but then I thought sticking caliper. Have you had the tires/brakes worked on recently? Done any extremely hard brakeing lately? Is it from the front only or all 4 corners or just one corner? Have you checked that they are properly attached to the car? If not I'd give it a look or go for one of those free inspections....

Had the same thing, rear brake pad shims was all it needed. It did have some back there, but I got the SS ones from FCP seems to have hdone the trick.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/24939/nm/1994_1997_Volvo_850_Turbo_Brake_Pad_Shim_Kit_stainless_steel_/category_id/51

well i had les schwab do the whole front brakes, new everything. the rears haven't been looked at but it seems like this kind of vibration couldn't be caused by the rears. could it be ABS? i tried pulling the ABS fuse but the speedometer stopped working when i did. so i put it back

Please don't rule out bad ball joints on the lower "A" arms or steering nuckles. This is what ails my car now. Needs replaced. Do you feel it in the steering wheel when this happens? Have your suspension checked out also. :)

its your rear pads, mine did it when i first got it and a few others have had this issue. i had almost identical issues at low speeds it would vibrate like all hell, but @ high speeds no problems, and if the start doing it and you pump the breaks hard they stop vibrating. east way to test my it is to use the hand break to stop the car, u will see the vibration goes away because u are not using the rear pads. mine were @ about half way worn when it started doing it, rather than buy shims i just went and got lifetime pads for $20 and every time i get to about half i swap them out, havent had the issues ever again.

I'm having this symptom now...sporadic but severe vibration when slowing to a stop.

Hums the entire car...quite shocking when it first started happening.

Turns out that my rear rotors are worn down and need replacing.

Pads are low, too...but not as critical yet.

Good luck!

Archived