Sign in to follow this  
Marius850R

Upgrade N/A Cams , Only Intake Cam Or Upgrade Both Int/Ex On My 850 T5-R

I pulled the cams from the 94 NA I parted late last year. It was easy to pull them, but more time consuming than most people on here are saying...

I cannot recall exactly, but there are a LOT of bolts that have to be removed to get the valve/cam cover (whatever) off. I was ratcheting for what seemed like forever, and had a nice pile of bolts going. Now, installing the cams, having to put all of those bolts back in, in the right order, and torque them properly...that is going to take some time.

Honestly, I am a bit intimidated by the idea of installing the NA cams in my T-5R, as timing is something that scares me. I have zero experience with doing timing on a car, and I would hate to destroy a motor by making a noob mistake :(

there are lots of instructions step by step you can follow, an its not as scary as it seems youll be ok, jus double an triple check before you turn that key

Assuming everything goes as planned, the motor is going to be pulled this weekend to facilitate a manual swap. I have the cams sitting in my garage still, but I believe doing the swap, some suspension work, and cams all in the same weekend would be pushing it a bit.

I just searched, but could not turn up any install threads :(

I was able to boost a bit yesterday on the way home since the rain held off. It was running a little lean when boost came in so I added some fuel to the entire boost portion of the map (was short on time) but now it seems to be running a bit too rich on the top end so i'll have to adjust for that once I have more time.

Power is definately more linear, it used to be that you would put your foot down and wait until the boost built for a second, then it would hit you like a tonne of bricks. Now it just gradually pulls harder and harder. It is much nicer to drive around town but I need to do a bit more spirited driving to get a true sense of the boost behavior and if I like it or not.

Assuming everything goes as planned, the motor is going to be pulled this weekend to facilitate a manual swap. I have the cams sitting in my garage still, but I believe doing the swap, some suspension work, and cams all in the same weekend would be pushing it a bit.

I just searched, but could not turn up any install threads :(

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/2.3l_5_cyl_vin_57.pdf

if you want to know how to do nearly anything heres the site i found all the info on

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo_workshop-850techdocs.shtml

if you want to know how to do nearly anything heres the site i found all the info on

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo_workshop-850techdocs.shtml

nice, thanks. I have been there before, but forgot to bookmark it!

I was able to boost a bit yesterday on the way home since the rain held off. It was running a little lean when boost came in so I added some fuel to the entire boost portion of the map (was short on time) but now it seems to be running a bit too rich on the top end so i'll have to adjust for that once I have more time.

Power is definately more linear, it used to be that you would put your foot down and wait until the boost built for a second, then it would hit you like a tonne of bricks. Now it just gradually pulls harder and harder. It is much nicer to drive around town but I need to do a bit more spirited driving to get a true sense of the boost behavior and if I like it or not.

since you have the cams advanced to 4, would advancing them only to say 2* help on the running lean issue a bit?

since you have the cams advanced to 4, would advancing them only to say 2* help on the running lean issue a bit?

He has standalone engine management so he can accurately adjust fueling at every point in the map. Adjust the cams to suit your liking for powerband, sort out ignition timing and air/fuel ratio once you have them adjusted the way you want.

Mark, careful with too much advance because you really will see it in the top end... A little has got to be nice though to help get some driveability back with that GT35 :)

4 degrees works well for me too and I don't lose any top end. 6 degrees I lose a bit. more than that and the car makes less power everywhere. I haven't seen much for gains moving the intake around. I like it straight up.

Just to recap, this is Cams @ +4, +4 correct?

He has standalone engine management so he can accurately adjust fueling at every point in the map. Adjust the cams to suit your liking for powerband, sort out ignition timing and air/fuel ratio once you have them adjusted the way you want.

Yeah, I saw that. I was just curious because I will have the NA cams but I won't have engine management, so if I had my cams set at 4* and was running lean, there's really nothing I could do about that. I plan on setting them at 2* advance so hopefully I won't have to worry about running lean like he is. Although, I also plan on using TT, can you adjust fuel with that?

Yeah, I saw that. I was just curious because I will have the NA cams but I won't have engine management, so if I had my cams set at 4* and was running lean, there's really nothing I could do about that. I plan on setting them at 2* advance so hopefully I won't have to worry about running lean like he is. Although, I also plan on using TT, can you adjust fuel with that?

Fuel, Ignition, WOT sliders.. :lol: