Photo
- - - - -

How To Get Rid Of Drone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 kenhoeve

kenhoeve

Level 3 Member

• Supporting Member
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:40 AM

So... a few months ago I installed a custom turbo back 2.5" exhaust. Magnaflow cat to a magnaflow straight thru muffler to a resonator and out. The catback setup is the same as many of the prefabbed catbacks(muff to resonator). Made a significant difference in throttle response and high rpm boost. Very good mod. Well alas I just couldn't take the droning at 2-3k rpm, so I had to do something.

Today I installed another resonator before the muffler, for a total of two resonators. Wa-la, just the ticket. Drone is almost entirely gone and performance has not changed perceptibly. Like stock sound until you open it up, and then it gets a little growly, which is what I wanted in the first place. So for those considering custom, and wanting to stay quiet like a mouse, take this FWIW.

2007 V70R
FMIC|iPd stage I|iPd sways|iPd endlinks|iPd SS|iPd tcv.2|SecondSkin Insulation|StopTech|Alpine|Rockford|waxed to the max

V60 P* 64

#2 Impeccatus

Impeccatus

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:40 PM

Good post, thanks for the info.
94 854T, ST chip, K&N, MBC at 6psi
Red w/anthracite Titans

"All that is mortal is but a sign". Goethe

#3 ToxicLemonade

ToxicLemonade

Level 3 Member

• Supporting Member
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(kenhoeve @ Dec 10 2004, 08:40 AM)
So... a few months ago I installed a custom turbo back 2.5" exhaust.  Magnaflow cat to a magnaflow straight thru muffler to a resonator and out.  The catback setup is the same as many of the prefabbed catbacks(muff to resonator).  Made a significant difference in throttle response and high rpm boost.  Very good mod.  Well alas I just couldn't take the droning at 2-3k rpm, so I had to do something.

Today I installed another resonator before the muffler, for a total of two resonators.  Wa-la, just the ticket.  Drone is almost entirely gone and performance has not changed perceptibly.  Like stock sound until you open it up, and then it gets a little growly, which is what I wanted in the first place.  So for those considering custom, and wanting to stay quiet like a mouse, take this FWIW.
View Post

i just turn up the system tongue.gif but when i get the money i want to ad a resenator cuase i have the same droning problem. thanks for the advice.
Yellow 5 speed T5-R

#4 s15det

s15det

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:03 PM

What type/size of resonator did you add?

#5 fromtheshadows

fromtheshadows

Level 2 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:32 PM

a cheaper way to reduce drone without quieting the tone would be to add hangers (the welded ones) to the piping to get rid of the tunung fork effect. you could also add a swedge joint.
Hailing from Long Beach, CA
'96 850 turbo with the usual full list of mods
My wheels weigh 5.8kg

#6 T-5Bandit

T-5Bandit

Level 3 Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(ashman @ Dec 10 2004, 11:32 PM)
a cheaper way to reduce drone without quieting the tone would be to add hangers (the welded ones) to the piping to get rid of the tunung fork effect. you could also add a swedge joint.
View Post

I think he talking about drone from the muffler. He had the correct resolution.

Hangers only reduce vibration.

John
1998 V70 T5 (Sold)
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic

PB1001082.jpg

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

I have a muffler-shop made 3" cat-back with a 3" series 50 Flowmaster. It sounds absolutely wonderful, but the interior drone is getting to be too much. So, how should I go about this? Add a resonator before the muffler, or different/additional hangers. Or, would a straight thru design muffler lessen the drone. My logic is that the chambered design of the Flowmaster is the main cause of the resonance inside of the piping, not to mention killing my flow.

#8 Gregg

Gregg

daniel stern lighting pimp

• Supporting Member
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:39 AM

Ken,

How much did the resonator cost? Did you buy it and do it yourself?

#9 WhiteT5

WhiteT5

Sampson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 03:13 AM

I got a 2.5 inch resonator on eBay for $30. You have to make sure it's the ones without the o2 bungs in them though. Straight through design is the best for turbo'd cars. I'm running an Aeroturbine 2540i. I'm going to have the resonator put on soon as well just to lessen attention from the pigs.

Edited by White850T5, 11 December 2004 - 03:14 AM.

- Sean
-'95 850 T5 White/Tan (SOLD) // '92 244 5-spd White/Blue // '04 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi 5-spd Navy/Black/Carbon

#10 T-5Bandit

T-5Bandit

Level 3 Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 11 2004, 02:30 AM)
I have a muffler-shop made 3" cat-back with a 3" series 50 Flowmaster.  It sounds absolutely wonderful, but the interior drone is getting to be too much.  So, how should I go about this?  Add a resonator before the muffler, or different/additional hangers.  Or, would a straight thru design muffler lessen the drone.  My logic is that the chambered design of the Flowmaster is the main cause of the resonance inside of the piping, not to mention killing my flow.
View Post

Flowmaster is your whole problem. Not the proper muffler for a Volvo. You need a straight-thru muffler to get the right efficiency and sound.

John
1998 V70 T5 (Sold)
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic

PB1001082.jpg

#11 fromtheshadows

fromtheshadows

Level 2 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:16 AM

ok, yeah it makes sense. it wasnt the muffler sound that bothered me though, the droning that bothered me was the vibration through the car. a few more hangers and some sound deadening mat and the vibration and sound was reduced for me dramatically, but on the outside, the police still look at me. o well, im done modding my exhaust until the day i get a fix it ticket.
Hailing from Long Beach, CA
'96 850 turbo with the usual full list of mods
My wheels weigh 5.8kg

Copyright 2013 Volvospeed