Sign in to follow this  
beasters

How Your Car Sits

Thanks guys! It's so satisfying to be out there again with the Yellow over my daily. lol

With everything back together, the car has so much more power now too. As the day went by, I had to learn to control my throttle. Anything more than 3/4-way down in 1st and it was a smoke-show on the straights.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, RBoy8 said:

Thanks guys! It's so satisfying to be out there again with the Yellow over my daily. lol

With everything back together, the car has so much more power now too. As the day went by, I had to learn to control my throttle. Anything more than 3/4-way down in 1st and it was a smoke-show on the straights.

What did you end up doing for a rebuild? Sounds like it has an R manifold now (I like :biggrin:)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sventastic said:

What did you end up doing for a rebuild? Sounds like it has an R manifold now (I like :biggrin:)

Thanks! It actually has a Japanifold with the IPD turboback. I thought about the R mani when I had it all apart but I can't resist the Japanifold burble.

Just pulled the head, cleaned everything up, replaced the burnt exhaust valve and all the seals, and lapped everything else before putting it all back together. While it was open, I was also able to find and fix all the pesky little coolant leaks, which was satisfying.

• Upvote 1

yeah i was going to say it doesnt sound like an r manifold at all haha

LOVE it!

• Upvote 1

You got some yuge brakes... yuge brakes, Brad. Bigly brakes.

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2018 at 11:10 AM, RBoy8 said:

Watching my lines, I still think I can shave off a few seconds with the current stock suspension though, so no mods until I've been able to refine my driving to hit that limit.

Watching that reminds me how much more I have to turn the wheel in the P80 than the E36. A smaller steering wheel will help a little bit. 
*Goes on eBay and looks at hubs and steering wheels for the 850.*

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fivex84 said:

Watching that reminds me how much more I have to turn the wheel in the P80 than the E36. A smaller steering wheel will help a little bit. 
*Goes on eBay and looks at hubs and steering wheels for the 850.*

must... resist... this... urge...

I actually took the S70 for a spin at the last autocross of the season last year, and noticed the steering wheel was easier to manage. Now that I'm taking things a bit quicker, I've begun to feel how clunky the 850 wheel is. Although, I guess having small Asian hands doesn't help much either. :laugh:

If you go with an aftermarket wheel, does the SRS light come on for the airbag?

9 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

If you go with an aftermarket wheel, does the SRS light come on for the airbag?

You can wire up a resistor to fool the light.  Hussein did that in his XR, I'm sure the details are floating around on here somewhere.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, andyb5 said:

You can wire up a resistor to fool the light.  Hussein did that in his XR, I'm sure the details are floating around on here somewhere.

I've been meaning to dig that up. I've been looking at old wood steering wheels for the 850.

• Upvote 1

Have you guys ACTUALLY gone from R manifold to Japanifold on your own cars??? The "burble" of the Japinfold is a myth. My car sounded exactly the same going from an R manifold to a Japanifold.

13 hours ago, bob82pigdog said:

Have you guys ACTUALLY gone from R manifold to Japanifold on your own cars??? The "burble" of the Japinfold is a myth. My car sounded exactly the same going from an R manifold to a Japanifold.

It's not a myth. I went from a japapnafold to r manifold and they sound very different. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

It's not a myth. I went from a japapnafold to r manifold and they sound very different. 

Not to my earholes. I'm gonna switch back to an R next time I have the turbo off and I'm gonna do a recording of the R and Japanifold to compare. I'm blowing the lid off this conspiracy! Then everyone will know! For science!