Sign in to follow this  
beasters

How Your Car Sits

I'm not offering to build another set, but look into getting someone to retrofit bi-xenon or bi-LED projectors.

I'm extremely happy with my light output, plus IMO the retrofit looks good.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Burn-E said:

So what's your take? If I want the best light possible out of a P80 without going the route of custom building projectors, are e-codes really where it's at? Because I've grown tired of the HIDs in the C70 and am looking to replace. Not that I drive it very often in the dark these days anyway but it seems JRL swore by the e-codes with his aging eyes.

Are you running halogens in the fixtures or something different?

Moved to jewels this year. Big difference for sure. 

I have jewels running the HIDs so I'll drop a standard set of sockets in place and see what I think. I don't have the patience to build a new set of projector retrofits right now.  

I have stock jewels with halogens and the light output is fantastic compared to the worn out original headlights. I'd still like to go HID at some point, but I don't want to chop up my reflectors to retrofit projectors... and I'm not gonna be the a-hole that just drops HIDs into the stock headlights and blinds everybody!

Might get flamed for this, but I'd be curious about the results of using LED drop in headlights in Jewels and/or ABMs. While I think the tech is still improving, LED headlights have come a long way in the last couple years and I've been running them in a couple non-volvos with excellent results. They also seem to me more "aimable" than HIDs which can blind oncoming  traffic. They seem to preform better in non-projector housings, so maybe better in Jewels.. Anyone tried them?

Edited by tuner4life

you cant get flamed on vs anymore, there isnt anybody here to flame you 😞

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, tuner4life said:

Might get flamed for this, but I'd be curious about the results of using LED drop in headlights in Jewels and/or ABMs. While I think the tech is still improving, LED headlights have come a long way in the last couple years and I've been running them in a couple non-volvos with excellent results. They also seem to me more "aimable" than HIDs which can blind oncoming  traffic. They seem to preform better in non-projector housings, so maybe better in Jewels.. Anyone tried them?

What LEDs would you recommend? I've looked at various options. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Yes, dropping LEDs in is an option I'm seriously considering because I'm the asshole with HIDs in jewels though to be fair it was that way when I bought the coupe and I almost never drive it at night. But I do drive the S70 which has a set of halogens in stock housings and while I found a pair of pristine stock housing earlier this year in my last pick-n-pull run, I'm looking to produce better light.

4 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

you cant get flamed on vs anymore, there isnt anybody here to flame you 😞

For real, you need to go to Facebook to get flamed now!

My cousin has LEDs in his '91 240, and they work well without being too blinding. That may be a good way to go if they will work in my jewels without projectors, because if I can avoid installing projectors, that's the way I'd like to go. I'll have to research that further.

Overall I've been happier with HIDs than LEDs, my cousin has used both in his Volvos. He has 55w HIDs in his S70 with jewels and they are absolutely BLINDING to oncoming traffic. Hell, even driving the car the light against the road hurts my eyes!

19 hours ago, Burn-E said:

What LEDs would you recommend? I've looked at various options. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I did a minimal amount of research (youtube reviews) before purchasing Techmax LEDs from Amazon and I'm happy with them. They are in my 1997 Lexus LS400 in Depo Crystal housings. I don't have a picture readily available, but can get one.

The low beams and high beams are separate bulbs and the low beams are adequate once adjusted. The beam seems to maybe not extend quite as far as the originals, but the light is more "pure" i guess you could say, way more bright and clear. But the high beams, holy crap. It's like daytime. (I never get flashed using low beams)

I also have cheap generic LED sealed beam conversions in my old Chevy van and while I'm not really satisfied with the lows, the high beams are unreal. I don't know what brand those were.

I have also been doing research on what LED brands would work best in my 2003 Lexus LX470 which has projectors for the low beams, and in that application, nobody seems to be happy with any LEDs, and instead recommend HID or Halogen. It seems like a crap shoot.

Just order whatever you get from Amazon so you can get a refund if they suck lol.

I literally just got a free set of LEDs to test in the S70 ABMS, havent installed them yet.   Maybe I will tonight and letcha know. 

IMG_6903.thumb.JPG.f3892fe9b99567c9b4cadbff63a4a5c3.JPG

The e30 at Road America. Whole family fits in it (for a few more months at least). 

IMG_7900.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2019 at 2:29 PM, JoshV70 said:

Yep, fresh OEM e-codes and OEM corners.

The C70 looks incredible, absolutely factory fresh. Where are you finding all these brand-new OEM parts? If you find another black walnut steering wheel, let me know, a piece of the wood on mine sadly cracked off badly earlier this year 😞 It doesn't look too bad glued up (a weird gap appeared somehow), but I'd eventually like to make it mint

cLZogTNh.jpg

ehaj8zAh.jpg

Edited by sventastic

On 9/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, gilber33 said:

The e30 at Road America. Whole family fits in it (for a few more months at least). 

IMG_7900.JPG

@gilber33Did you disassemble and spit polish those wheels like that set of white and gold with red center cap BBS's you did back in 2010? Did Katherine let them come into the house this time?

17 minutes ago, Burn-E said:

@gilber33Did you disassemble and spit polish those wheels like that set of white and gold with red center cap BBC's you did back in 2010? Did Katherine let them come into the house this time?

These are reps that came with the car. Good enough for me at this point in my life. 

Very few if any car parts have come into our current house. Now that I have adequate garage space, it really hasn't been an issue. 

• Upvote 2