How Your Car Sits

beasters

No air bags went off so it really was low impact and everyone walked away unscathed. But the driver’s side of the frame is bent. If it was just the front clip including the intercooler and radiator I would have repaired it. I have spare fenders, headlights,  and the hood would be easy to source. But the front of the frame got smashed in as well.

I found another low mileage S70 T5 this afternoon and will look it over next week. Looks like a good next addition to the stable. Almost had my hands on a mint Olive S70 AWD last week but the guy was writing up the paperwork when I called.

• Upvote 2

That's too bad on the accident - good thing no injuries though.

I spent some time getting the nuke catch can installed. I'm using 5/8 parker superflex on push to lock an10 fittings. I modified the pcv can with a vacuum fitting and one-way pierburg check valve to pull vacuum when no boost. Ditched the PTC element.

I wanted to recondition my TME strut bar that i've had for several years and a couple 850s. I started by stripping and powder coating the strut tower plates and polishing the bar. I grabbed some new stainless bolts to finish it off. I also got the air box refitted with C70 lid and 3" MAF.

U7oHpUA.jpg

BIA9Ky6.jpg

I'm an amateur when it comes to powder coating. I'm happy with how these came out though.

I painted the front calipers. I kick myself for not powder coating them before I installed them... but I can't be bothered to go through that hassle now. The paint will have to do.

YIdFQlB.jpg

Happy Holidays!

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Zappo said:

Wheels look good and your catch can install is much cleaner than mine.

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of the $10 Amazon mounting clamps, but the fitting was a proof of concept type deal. There's some much nicer mounts out there typically for LED light bars. I'll order one of those at some point to replace the cheap ones.

Bought this today. Overall it’s in exceptional shape with only 68k miles on it which is crazy for a 98 these days and it was fully optioned when ordered.  Most amazing is the window switches are original and clean as the day they were installed. Single owner car well maintained by the best Volvo Indies in the area.

But the paint’s a mess in several places because the owner’s husband decided to try to paint over scratches with a small paint brush. I didn’t really want red but it wasn’t that important. Bumpers and hood need to be resprayed and there are decent sized dents in the rear corners below the tail lights - is it possible to hammer those out? Also need to remove the stupid dealer pinstripes and aged door edge protectors.

Never owned a Volvo with single stage paint - what am I in for to keep it glossy and not faded? I don’t want to have to wax this thing every few weeks.

Steering wheel leather needs to be sorted or probably just order a Redline wrap - they’re still doing good work right? Need a new auto trans lever boot also. Front seats need some treatment - may replace the skin of the drivers side. Rear driver’s door card insert has busted out and needs to be pulled and reupholstered. Nobody out there has Oak R door cards by any chance?

Needs a new antenna and new spring seats / strut mounts.

E2D10C6F-C122-490A-85B9-7E97C1066C44.jpeg

• Upvote 6

On 12/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, Burn-E said:

Bought this today. Overall it’s in exceptional shape with only 68k miles on it which is crazy for a 98 these days and it was fully optioned when ordered.  Most amazing is the window switches are original and clean as the day they were installed. Single owner car well maintained by the best Volvo Indies in the area.

OK, come on, where did you find this needle in a haystack?  You're telling me you just eyed the local CL and there it was? 

We found our '98 S70 GLT with only 50K miles on it, but that was over ten years ago!!  And it was like a 2-3 year search to boot.  Give me some tips man..?  :a-farmboy:

And this is back; WTH?!

image.png.7e60dc6d97edead635769aa027115053.png

Edited by gdog

1 hour ago, gdog said:

OK, come on, where did you find this needle in a haystack?  You're telling me you just eyed the local CL and there it was? 

We found our '98 S70 GLT with only 50K miles on it, but that was over ten years ago!!  And it was like a 2-3 year search to boot.  Give me some tips man..?  :a-farmboy:

That is literally how I found it but it was FB marketplace not CL. My daughter asked to see photos of an S70 GLT that was definitely NOT at all in the condition it claimed - I only learned this after a 3 hour road-trip - and when I pulled up FB marketplace for the Chicago area (500 mile radius) this red T5 had just been posted 37 minutes earlier. I aggressively reached out to the seller proclaiming interest and my cred as a Volvo enthusiast. Since I was the first to contact him directly and made it clear I would be easy to work with he gave me first dibs and we arranged to meet.

I was the used P80 searcher for Volvospeed back in 2009-2015. My friends and family jokingly call me AskAlain.com because I have a knack for finding things online. I fine tuned search algorithms using Autotempest, eBay, Cars.com and Autotrader and built relationships with many other enthusiasts who were always checking out P80s being sold in the used market. Constantly visiting the various Volvo forum classifieds as well to see who was considering selling.

But I’ve been out of the game for at least 4 years until my daughter smashed our last T5 last week. Then I turned my search engine efforts back to 11 and any idle moment I was digging through ads. What I’ve found is that since CL now charges $5 for auto listings the vast majority of P80 private seller ads have migrated to FB Marketplace which is harder to search nationally by algorithm. And I actively participate in every P80 Volvo related FB group and related marketplaces. What I’ve listed above are the primary tools. The key is actively searching morning, midday and evening. Luck favors those who are seriously searching.

• Upvote 4

Truth.  I was looking for an X5 manual and was searching every site at least 20-30 times a day.  Most of them were gone within hours or even sold locally before they were posted.  

When I found the cayenne it was only listed 45 minutes before I found it and contacted him and there was someone who had already looked at it before it was listed who was unable to afford it. I test drove it and bought it that day.

• Upvote 2

Another example almost identical to mine just popped up in Iowa

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/435683501544282/

Red on tan S70 T5 with 70k miles. Maybe time to restart the CL thread as a FB Market thread. This was the first listing I encountered this morning.

All right let’s do this. Can a Mod de-archive the CL listing thread in the R Forum? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Burn-E said:

All right let’s do this. Can a Mod de-archive the CL listing thread in the R Forum? 

I'm not sure I have all the permission to do it, but I can try.  Can you give me the link?