Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michael-s70

Motronic Self Tuning

im using the motronic suite (open source) to mod some bin files for a M4.3 but i dont understand some of of these maps for example the fuel correction map (not included in pic). can any one point me in a direction to learn more about tuning? or tip me?

heres what im looking atohmy.gif

workingwith.jpg

Ignition timing and what looks like a fueling table, respectively. Fiddle with it until something breaks, or you figure out what's going on? :lol:

Looks like you've got some researching and learning to do before you start messing with the bin values :lol: .

Left map is a timing map and the values in the bins are BTDC, rpm is obviously on the Y axis, and load is on the X? I don't know.

Right map is a boost map with rpm on the X axis, load on the Y? Again I don't know.

If its a stock T5R ECU, and the right is indeed a boost map, then my assumption is that the bins that are at 0.58 would equate to 12 psi, knowing the volvo factory stock boost of the T5R ECU, but that's just a guess.

Left map is a timing map and the values in the bins are BTDC, rpm is obviously on the Y axis, and load is on the X? I don't know.

Right map is a boost map with rpm on the X axis, load on the Y? Again I don't know.

ignition is often RPMxMAP or RPMxTPS

You should start on megasquirt forums if you want to learn about tuning. Do you even have a wideband?

Don't mess with an ignition map unless you have a dyno.

Wait till InitalGTR chimes in. I think he has done the most amateur work on 4.4. How much of that language translates to 4.3 I have no idea.

I know I'm about to get my head kicked in here, but I'll go for it so that people won't fall into the idiot-loop I did with this.

Looks like you've got some researching and learning to do before you start messing with the bin values

^this^. I've messed with Motronic 4.4 for a couple of months, and as InitialDriveGTR predicted, I failed epicly. Don't use Motronic Suite either. Get a copy of WinOLS. Motronic Suite doesn't update the checksums, and if you flash a bad-checksum'd bin, the car won't start.

Don't mess with an ignition map unless you have a dyno.

^This^ again. I'm lucky stuff didn't break with my fail-tune.

Wait till InitalGTR chimes in. I think he has done the most amateur work on 4.4. How much of that language translates to 4.3 I have no idea.

100% for this. IDGTR has done pretty much all of what there is to be done with 4.4, and 4.3 is fairly similar.

The MegaSquirt Forums are a good place to learn the basics of tuning, but it's hard to tune using static maps. Turbo Tuner is pretty much the de-facto way to do custom tuning with Volvos.

I know I'm about to get my head kicked in here, but I'll go for it so that people won't fall into the idiot-loop I did with this.

The MegaSquirt Forums are a good place to learn the basics of tuning, but it's hard to tune using static maps. Turbo Tuner is pretty much the de-facto way to do custom tuning with Volvos.

WHAT????? FAULTY BEING INTELLIGENT???

Nothing wrong with modifying the tune to work in place of SAFC or similar, however don't touch ignition unless you're retarding it because you're knocking. ignition is where you make your power, yes, but it's also nearly impossible to get right on the street. the 'dial back' from knocking method doesn't always result in combustion at the PPP, the only way you can tell is on a loaded dyno at each rpm/load combination.

If you get a new turbo and get some bigger injectors, then you're actually getting somewhere, but other than that, stick to an off the shelf tune because if you don't know what you're looking at with ignition or boost tables, you probably don't even know whether the car you're using is speed density or mass air. Just sayin'.

^this^. I've messed with Motronic 4.4 for a couple of months, and as InitialDriveGTR predicted, I failed epicly. Don't use Motronic Suite either. Get a copy of WinOLS. Motronic Suite doesn't update the checksums, and if you flash a bad-checksum'd bin, the car won't start.

^This^ again. I'm lucky stuff didn't break with my fail-tune.

100% for this. IDGTR has done pretty much all of what there is to be done with 4.4, and 4.3 is fairly similar.

FYI, m4.3 and m4.4 are completely different animals. Only similarity is the name. People can expect me to be putting out some new USEFUL info on m4.4 tonight and over the next couple days.

For the brief time I messed around with WinOLS... it was pretty bad ass.

Buuuuuuut, I have to be honest, (to the OP) you don't seem to know what you are doing. You may want to be extremely careful!

For the brief time I messed around with WinOLS... it was pretty bad ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

Buuuuuuut, I have to be honest, (to the OP) you don't seem to know what you are doing. You may want to be extremely careful!

If the op changes anything, the car simply won't start.

<-- n00b-alert.

What does an off-the-shelf tune commonly do? In other words, when we get a tune for a bigger turbo, I'm assuming what the tune has to do is supply more "headroom" in terms of fuel numbers, because you're going to get more air than the stock tune is expecting. Is this correct?

Also, semi-related, can you do something as simple as remove fuel-cut from a stock unit doing something like this? (how does something like fuel-cut even work, from an ECU-map perspective?)