Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crc1021

Spark Plug Gap

As you can see from my sig I am running, what I believe, is a full T5 conversion. I am on a stock T5 tune still and I think I am running the wrong gap.

I purchased the Bosch Platinum plugs and the IPD wires. I read in the Haynes manual for an 850 that is should be .019. This seams really thin compared to what I took out.

What should the correct gap be?

That is what I keep seeing on here for the gap. I just wanted to be sure. The car seems to be running a little rich, I see a little white out of the exhaust here and there.

It does not help that my front 02 failed on me last week. I wonder if my gap helped shorten the life.

I will definitely regap them tomorrow morning.

Thank you

I ordered those exact same plugs and gapped them down to .028. They never performed very well under boost and the center insulator eroded. I threw in the copper cores at .026 and have noticeably better performance. And each one's only $1.50 :) Sounds crazy but I would get rid of those plugs and get the cheapie coppers.

My experience:

autzone is fine, or napa i would think its heaper than volvo.

autozone is fine, or napa i would think its heaper than volvo.

Yea, just go to the Bosch website, find the applicable Volvo copper plug and get from Autozone or comparable.

I recently picked up my Bosch Super Copper plugs from Autozone.

autzone is fine, or napa i would think its heaper than volvo.

I checked the gap this past weekend and I was good @ .028. I do not know why I was thinking .019 at all.

I am definitely going to take everybodies advice and pick up the copper plugs. I am going to do that this coming weekend.

Thanks for all of the help.

So the Bosch FR7DPP+ plugs on their website are the same as the OEM Volvo sells?

So the Bosch FR7DPP+ plugs on their website are the same as the OEM Volvo sells?

Those plugs are very similar, but not exactly the same as OEM.

The only plugs that have ever worked well in my GLT are the OEM plugs, and cheap copper plugs like NGKs and the aforementioned Bosch Supercore coppers.

Stock plug gap for '98's is .030", not .028"

The standard Volvo Turbo plugs are not platinum, you don't want platinum plugs at all. Coppers work great.

From the owner's manual

Firing order 1-2-4-5-3

Distributor ignition setting Not adjustable

Spark plugs Bosch FR 7 DC or Champion RC9YC

Spark plug gap 0.028" (0.7 mm)

Turbo-charged models: Champion RC8PYP (or equivalent)

Spark plug gap 0.03" (0.75 mm)

Tightening torque 18.4 ft. lbs. +/- 3.7 ft. lbs. (25 Nm +/- 5 Nm)

Looks like I am definitely replacing the plugs on Saturday morning, with a correct gap. I would have never thought to look in the owners manual for something like that.