Photo

Significant Oil Leak Passenger Side

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

I'm losing a good amount of oil from the front(passenger side) of my engine. When parked,it looks like it is trickling down the frame and dripping at a spot between the tire and the passenger door. It seems as if a lot of it is concentrated below the timing belt/oil tstat area. It seems to be worse when the car is on(drops of oil all over my street), but continues when off. It has gotten oil all over the passenger side of my car(control arm, wheels) My initial hunch was the oil cooler bracket thing, lots of oil in and around that area, but its hard to tell...That or a cam seal. I'm thinking it is on the front of the engine because of how concentrated the oil is over there. No real smell of burning through vents or anything like that. I'm going to my carwash soon to wash it off and hopefully get a better clue. What other areas can leak alot of oil over there?

http://imgur.com/a/XOpXA
1993 Volvo 850 GLT 193,000mi
Back on the road Retired.
1997 850R 107,000

#2 phunktified

phunktified

Level 3 Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

I would pull the outer timing belt cover (just one bolt) so you can have a better look at the front of the engine with a flashlight..

Former: 89 744 GLE 16V, 90 745 GLE 16V, 95 964, 94 854 T5, 01 S40 1.9T, 99 C70 T5, 01 S60 T5, 07 VW GTI

Current: 98 V70 GLT - 171k, 02 Motor, ARD, Supersprint, etc...   97 854 GLT - 2xxk + 99 S70AWD 3xxk "projects" 

#3 atefitty

atefitty

Manuals tighten my pants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I'm losing a good amount of oil from the front(passenger side) of my engine. When parked,it looks like it is trickling down the frame and dripping at a spot between the tire and the passenger door. It seems as if a lot of it is concentrated below the timing belt/oil tstat area. It seems to be worse when the car is on(drops of oil all over my street), but continues when off. It has gotten oil all over the passenger side of my car(control arm, wheels) My initial hunch was the oil cooler bracket thing, lots of oil in and around that area, but its hard to tell...That or a cam seal. I'm thinking it is on the front of the engine because of how concentrated the oil is over there. No real smell of burning through vents or anything like that. I'm going to my carwash soon to wash it off and hopefully get a better clue. What other areas can leak alot of oil over there?

http://imgur.com/a/XOpXA

If your oil cooler lines are wet then they are leaking.
The only other area I've seen that can leak a ton is the turbo drain tube seal and rear main seal.
1997 850R
IPD Strut Brace, IPD Boost Guage, EST Intake, TME Catback Exhaust, Bilstein Struts/Shocks, TME Lowering Springs, Wastegate adjust to 6psi, European Side Markers...just new, black jewels and ECU upgrade....next : finally a downpipe!

#4 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

The only other area I've seen that can leak a ton is the turbo drain tube seal and rear main seal.

The rear main seal wouldn't spray exclusively onto the other side of the engine though right? I had a bad RMS that made me get rid of my otherwise good GLT, but the leak was exclusively on the drivers side, where as this is exclusively on the passenger side. The weather has been bad around here lately so I couldn't give it a thorough check. I'm really hoping its not the RMS.

I checked under the timing belt a few weeks ago but i was looking at the condition of the belt and not checking to well for oil, but it wasn't soak. I'll give it another look tomorrow when its a not raining. For now i'm going to do my best to degrease my car.
1997 850R 107,000

#5 Zappo

Zappo

THE ONE UPPER

• 16,965 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

I would say oil cooler lines are a good guess, but it could be other things.

When was the last time you replaced them?
Posted Image

#6 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:11 AM

I would say oil cooler lines are a good guess, but it could be other things.

When was the last time you replaced them?

Just got the car a few months back, so never. I'll have a better idea tomorrow as to whats going on, I'll try to get some good pictures too
1997 850R 107,000

#7 AverageVolvo

AverageVolvo

Level 1 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

Degrease it first.

Most likely the oil cooler lines as suggested, could also likely be the Oil thermostat housing or the lower front seal or Oil Pump/gasket/ Seal, I have seen quite a few of these sneaky lil bastard.
96 M edition Miata 5 speed with LSD.. W/custom Coilovers, Hard dog roll bar, bride replica seats 15x8 rims. Strut and chassis bracing. Zoom zoom.
PARTED OUT : ( 96 850 (412) wagon W/2 racing seats no rear seats, ..Converted to M56h with Quaife. R clutch,Kw v2 coilovers, qbm end links,Ipd sways,strut and shock braces/ Front/rear lower Ultra racing chassis braces. Team Dynamic 17in rims 17lbs .Poly mounts on trans, engine and firewall.Porsche Bbk, Ss lines, Super Blue Ate.5mm Spacers,Rolled Fenders,R Manifold, T04E 50 trim @22psi.STOCK INTERNALS 158k Divorced WG and BOV ,3in Downpipe, gutted 3in cat,2.5 tme/Ipd catback Gizzmo Ebc, 1 gallon Aem progressive Meth Injection kit. Walbro 255. Na mani W /960 plate and Na Silicone Tb hose. Boost/egr/wideband gauges dash mounted. Double Din touchscreen Nav. 12in Fosgate p3 and 2 Alpine amps/ + Cf spoiler+ V70 stuff.

#8 the commissar!

the commissar!

Level 3 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Degrease it first.

Most likely the oil cooler lines as suggested, could also likely be the Oil thermostat housing or the lower front seal or Oil Pump/gasket/ Seal, I have seen quite a few of these sneaky lil bastard.

^^^This!

I had one in the shop last week just like it...
1998 V70 T-5 -Auto - ARD Blue & Turbo-Tuner,18T, HD TCVw/ Hallman Pro MBC, custom 3" DP w/ Volvo 2.75" sport catback - both wrapped and coated, RIP, IPD aluminum intercooler, intake w/ K&N cone, R ex. manifold, , gasket matched & polished intake manifold w/ thermoblock spacer, n/a TB w/ 960 plate, Optima bluetop, MSD 6aD and blaster coil, IPD plug wires, IPD poly bushing, Koni FSD w/ Eibach springs, IPD sways 25mm x 25 mm, blue silicone vac, silicone coolant lines, custom intake tubes grill to turbo, skid plate, front lower brace, cherry turbo strut brace, HD endlinks, 302mm brakes, Zeitronix wide-band/data-logger, Walbro w/variable fpr. In process: Home grown HD Endlinks, Meth/H2O injection, greens, catch can, fully built 2.3.

#9 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'm thinking it might be the exhaust cam seal after giving a better look under the timing belt cover today. The back timing belt cover had some oil running down the side of it, on the exhaust cam side, especially towards the bottom. I tried to get a look at the seal itself through the holes and it appeared to have some oil coming out of it. I figure i might as well do the timing belt job since its been a while. Could cam seals be the source of a significant oil leak?

http://imgur.com/2YdR3 General view under timing belt cover

http://imgur.com/PnENk View through a hole in the rear cam timing gear.
1997 850R 107,000

#10 cn90

cn90

Level 3 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

I have the exact same leak.
I am thinking EXHAUST Cam seal.

I am doing the whole thing in the Timing Belt area this summer (from a to z) and will post a DIY later.
1998 S70 GLT 145K

#11 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

I have the exact same leak.
I am thinking EXHAUST Cam seal.

I am doing the whole thing in the Timing Belt area this summer (from a to z) and will post a DIY later.

How much oil are you losing? I'm losing a lot, making me think its more than one thing, but i will replace it and find out.
1997 850R 107,000

#12 cn90

cn90

Level 3 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

How much oil are you losing? I'm losing a lot, making me think its more than one thing, but i will replace it and find out.

I am losing 10 drops a day.

If you lose alot, check CCV system.
1998 S70 GLT 145K

#13 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

The leak has gotten worse and it seems like i'm losing a lot out of the oil thermostat housing, so maybe thats where its been all along. Does anyone know the size of the o-rings and if i can get them at pepboys or something?
1997 850R 107,000

#14 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Never trust a big butt and a smile.

• Supporting Member
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

Could be not just one, but some or all of the above...most of mine were leaking. I had the engine out and replaced everything. clean first and go for a drive and see what's dripping..

The ///Mean Machine.

#15 fastwagonhawaii

fastwagonhawaii

Oh James!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

This might sound stupid but heck the oil filter. I thought i had a major problem but when i went to take a closer look it was a loose oil filter. It dripped a lot when running and dripped for a little while when turned off then stopped sounds like your problem.
1996 850 turbo wagon auto, Custome intake, MSD coil, IPD spark plug wires, Eibach springs, Bilstiens HD, Mesh grill, IPD strut tower bar,ultra racing 2 point rear strut bar, Tiki end-links,IPD intake manifold spacer, FCP silicone inter-cooler hoses, stoptech steel braided brake lines front and rear, completely rebuilt auto tranny, Complete stage zero. soon to have (white injectors, s70 front end, 16t, ARD tune)

#16 850_GLT_owner

850_GLT_owner

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

This might sound stupid but heck the oil filter. I thought i had a major problem but when i went to take a closer look it was a loose oil filter. It dripped a lot when running and dripped for a little while when turned off then stopped sounds like your problem.

I can actually see the oil dripping from the oil Tstat housing,only when running. I was thinking it might be more things than just that but there is enough oil leaking from the thermostat housing that would account for all the oil i've been losing, like a drip a second or two.

I can actually see the oil dripping from the oil Tstat housing,only when running. I was thinking it might be more things than just that but there is enough oil leaking from the thermostat housing that would account for all the oil i've been losing, like a drip a second or two.

**don't know how to edit**

Wanted to add that i tried hand tightening the oil filter and its not moving at all. It seems like its coming from that area but i'm pretty sure its the oring going into the Tstat
1997 850R 107,000

#17 jdlc

jdlc

Level 3 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

**don't know how to edit**

Wanted to add that i tried hand tightening the oil filter and its not moving at all. It seems like its coming from that area but i'm pretty sure its the oring going into the Tstat

Clean the t-stat well using spray and brush, make sure where the leak is from - the o-rings going to the cooler lines or the mating of the t-stat into the pan which also has an o-ring (rectangular). Be 100 % sure it's not something else.
Replacing the two o-rings for the cooler lines is a PITA job you just want to be sure.

Click Me to save $150 on 94-98 Turbo Cooler Lines

* SOLD - Joy.D - 98 S70 T5M Blk/Blk, 17psiST, Volans, R-mani, 3"dp/obxExhaust      * GLT'ed 98 White V70AT N/A - totaled 

* 01 V70 T5M Green/Blk - my DD     /   * 98 C70 2.3T5A Blk/Gray Coupe - other car     /   * 06S60 2.5T Blk/Blk - wife's DD

#18 g96nt

g96nt

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Did you ever solve this? mine is leaking profusely from the passenger lower side, too. the timing belt is dry, and so are the pullies.
initially, I thought it was a bad front seal, but I think the belt would be wet with the amount of oil I'm losing. we're talking about a quart/week right now, and it's covered the entire passenger side of the under-car.

I saw someone elsewhere mention that it may be oil thermostat gaskets?

for reference, I have a '00 motor in my 850, so it's got the oil cooler in the oil pan. ( I think that eliminates the oil cooler lines?)

Thanks, guys!

#19 rmorse

rmorse

All my sperm swims to the right

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

Damn it. Someone +1 him. I'm on my phone and accidentally -1 him while scrolling.

#20 g96nt

g96nt

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

I fixed mine.
Ended up being a cracked turbo oil feel line.
It was dripping from the banjo bolt @ the block, and making a hell of a mess.
I bought a turbonetics 3' stainless line from summit for $25 the appropriate banjo fittings for $25, and swapped it out. I had to cut the old line in half to remove it without removing the turbo coolant lines, which made me happy I chose the stainless line.
Dry as a bone, now, and won't need to be replaced if/when I upgrade the turbo.

Copyright 2013 Volvospeed