Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

850R Hooligan

Oetiker Clamp Removal

As the tilte says can you help out a newbie and explain how to get the off, I have not essed with them yet but am going to do my PCV soon and want to know how to remove them. Thanks in advance for any info.

As the tilte says can you help out a newbie and explain how to get the off, I have not essed with them yet but am going to do my PCV soon and want to know how to remove them. Thanks in advance for any info.

Oetikers get clipped off with a sharp pair of wire cutters (or an Oetiker tool specifically designed for installing and removing) - clip off the clamped head and it just comes off. You don't take them off and expect to be able to replace them. You need to order new ones that are then clamped on with a crimping tool designed to install them.

A picture always helps:

150x99__3199B70E-467C-4765-9C30-02E53251

Or you can replace the oetiker clamps with screw clamps as some do.

If you don't have the snips, or can't get access easily, try fitting a slotted screwdriver into the gap by the crimp. A twist of the handle will push the crimp apart and loosen the clamp. In a pinch you can even re-use the clamps if loosened in this fashion.

Or...

121x150__46F601C0-7145-4EB1-9423-DBA2C96

To remove a Stepless Ear Clamp, grasp the strip end with the pincer and pull it away

I found a really good source for inexpensive Oetiker clamps for replacing if you want to use them...

This place has them cheap with reasonable shipping if a bit slow...they are of good quality too...

Or...

121x150__46F601C0-7145-4EB1-9423-DBA2C96

To remove a Stepless Ear Clamp, grasp the strip end with the pincer and pull it away

I found a really good source for inexpensive Oetiker clamps for replacing if you want to use them...

This place has them cheap with reasonable shipping if a bit slow...they are of good quality too...

Good info, thanks guy!

I like the worm clamps with the solid bands. (As compared to the ones with all the slits in the bands.) Those oetiker clamps suck. :angry:

I like the worm clamps with the solid bands. (As compared to the ones with all the slits in the bands.) Those oetiker clamps suck. :angry:

Agreed, the solid band worm clamps are the best IMO, the ones with slits just chew up the hoses.

Just my two cents, but one advantage that Oetiker clamps have over worm clamps is that they can be quickly cut off with wire cutters or the clamping tool (if there is access). Obviously they won't be reused. Worm clamps that have seen years of salty winters tend to be corroded and a huge pain to remove if they need to be cut off.

On larger hoses I use the solid band worm clamps but on smaller ones where a worm clamp might be a bit clunky I have been using Oetiker's. Time will tell whether that's a good idea or not.

The Oetiker clamps are actually a much better clamp (provided you have the pliers to install them). They can be crimped so tight as to crush plastic, whereas a worm clamp will strip if tightened that tight. They're also easy to remove with the twist of a flathead screwdriver (as described above). Anyway, other than being single use, I generally prefer them. Just a thought ;)...

Joe