• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manual Swappers!

71 posts in this topic

Posted

So, after swapping my car almost two years ago, I never swapped out the throttle cable from the auto. I had a problem with the throttle earlier this week, so ordered a manual cable, and must say, it is a must buy. The "firmness" in the pedal with the auto cable is gone. It honestly makes it feel so much better. I know there's a thread on this with the part number, but IIRC it's 9157600. Only like 40 bucks from the dealer, and a 10 minute install. So worth it!

Posted

Is it a different cable or just lubed & new?

Posted

It's a different cable. The auto cable has the kickdown spring, which creates added tension.

Posted

Yup. Night and day difference.

Posted

Yup. Night and day difference.

+1

and you have more control cause it uses the bigger throttle wheel

Posted

+1

and you have more control cause it uses the bigger throttle wheel

This is the main reason for doing it.

Posted

Is it normal that when the car is off, the pedal is nice n easy to press, but once you start it the pedal gets firm?

(Factory Manual)

Thanks!

Posted

Is it normal that when the car is off, the pedal is nice n easy to press, but once you start it the pedal gets firm?

(Factory Manual)

Thanks!

Well, there is no air flow when the engine is off, not that the amount of air passing the throttle would create a heavy resistance. Can't imagine what else you are describing, though.

On older Volvos, the throttle cable used to have the potential for metal to metal contacts - in other words, it could become a ground cable = very bad. This could lead to cables binding, and even electrical fires. All our cables are isolated from ground - you will notice that the cable retainer is plastic, the bobbin is plastic, the gas pedal is plastic and the cable ball end is held in a plastic seat. So, not likely that you would experience any binding or resistance while the engine is operating for that reason.

Posted

will order this week! Thanks Brett!

$28 bucks from Tasca!

Manual Cable

enter this part number in the bottom left 9157600

Posted

Hm...maybe I'll have to look into this. Always hear about how great it is, but sounds like it's definitely worth it.

Posted

I always wondered why my throttle was so much stiffer than most cars. Now I know... (queue sound clip)

Posted

i have a new cable sitting in my trunk but haven't gotten around to putting it in :lol:

Posted

No problem Mike!

I enjoy driving the car even more now. :lol:

Posted

Well it would appear FCP has their info wrong: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-throttle-cable-automatic-transmission-9157600

They say it's for an auto transmission.

Posted

will order this week! Thanks Brett!

$28 bucks from Tasca!

Manual Cable

Interesting. that link doesn't work or I would have ordered one also.

Strange navigation, but I finally got to the part.