Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

slingbox35001md.jpeg

been wanting to get one of these for a while. piggybacking on my parents cable subscription, i can already feel the savings

Please elaborate... :) what the!?!?

Please elaborate... :) what the!?!?

yeah, basically just connects to the cable box and i can watch tv from anywhere with an internet connection

wait let me guess. your dad was a mortal enemy of the green ranger.

No, I actually made all that up. I don't even know what 'beaching' is, but it sounds official.

yeah, basically just connects to the cable box and i can watch tv from anywhere with an internet connection

Nice, I'm on that. I'm at war w/ Comcast right now but that's nothing new. I had the sales rep stop by a little while back trying to sell me they're package deal and having done business w/ Comcast before I knew what was coming, so I made him write down what my total bill would be ($97/mo for cable internet, TV, and a land line). Low and behold, when I got my bill it was $140. They're telling me its because I have a 2nd cable box downstairs (never mind the fact that the sales rep said that was all part of the price). Anyhow, I told them they can come and get their 2nd cable box and I'm not paying more than what I agreed to.

Now I can get this thing, and still have cable downstairs. Hows it work? You can watch different channels? What about the HD channels?

Matt, I can't speak about the slingbox... but are you familiar with devices like Roku?

I know how ya feel about Comcast. Hated them since I was young. Currently have them given the lack of FIOS in the area and the billing practices are absurd. My favorite is that you can buy the HD channels option, but you have to pay extra for the HD box in order to use those channels.

Matt, I can't speak about the slingbox... but are you familiar with devices like Roku?

I know how ya feel about Comcast. Hated them since I was young. Currently have them given the lack of FIOS in the area and the billing practices are absurd. My favorite is that you can buy the HD channels option, but you have to pay extra for the HD box in order to use those channels.

Having had Comcast and Fios I will say that they are basically the same. I had Comcast, charge me for a modem they gave me for free, cut me off the first week I signed up and after I canceled my account and returned my box, because I was moving where Comcast wasn't avaiable. Comcast still kept charging me. Took too months to get a refund. :glare:

Had Fios for 2 years without and issue, got upgraded to faster internet for free, was thinking it was great. THEN, we added a phone when my wife started working from home. Got our first bill and it was twice what we had before for just adding a phone to our TV/internet. Contacted them found they had add internet games channels I didn't ask for and channels I had they took away. Found that the sales person that signed us up for the triple play was full of sh-it! Totally screwed up my account, couldn't find my previous account to give me what I had. Our auto pay was canceled and found out they were charging us late fees. Every time I called I'd have to explain everything over and over again, we were given a credit, they didn't show up on our account, I spent hours every month for 5 months trying to resolve the issues. Every time the person told me that it was "fixed" and I would say I hope I'm not going to have to contact you all back to fix this AGAIN! Which I did. Also they screwed up my name, first name last, THAT PISSED ME OFF ROYALLY! Also started getting solicitation calls for the same name, whenever anyone asked for Mr. Neubar. I'd just hang up. At the 5th month I contacted a manager and threatened to cancel my account no matter how much the cancelation fee was. Finally she helped and solved it for good. Also knocked $100 off the monthly fee. I've got every channel you can have. So I pay too much, but we never go out to the movies and have 2 DVR, and a standard cable box... My contract is up but I'm not going to mess with it knowing the issues I've had.

Like I said they are both the same...

/rant...

Makes me glad I just have internet and no TV/phone. $45 a month plus whatever Netflix cost.

Edited by fivex84

Makes me glad I just have internet and no TV. $45 a month plus whatever Netflix cost.

That's where I was before I let the Comcast guy sweet talk me. I don't need cable, but I was paying $69/mo for my internet anyhow and faced w/ getting another phone to keep home w/ the kids so it just seemed cost effective; but not at $140/mo. Comcast is under the delusion that I actually give a crap about whether or not I have cable tv.

Come get your garbage Comcast, heaven forbid I should go do something constructive as opposed to vegging out in front of the blue box like a zombie.

Like I said they are both the same...

/rant...

I've had both, though I've had Comcast for the majority of my life. My FIOS experience was leagues better. Including the customer service. It sounds like your primary issue with FIOS was an extremely poor customer service experience. And one of the biggest disservice's the brand does is let third party people door-to-door sell their services. At least the FIOS bill seems kind of logical. Comcast likes to shift their prices around quietly, and advertise prices that are nearly half what you will effectively pay due to all the fees they tack on for any household with more than 1 TV.

photoshop.png Photoshop

lightroom.png Lightroom

finally a decent price... $10/month

https://creative.adobe.com/join/offer/photoshop+lightroom (avail until the 8th)

I'm dreading the day when my license from school runs out. having the entire cs6 go bye bye is going to suck. Paying for its going to be even worse.

Now I can get this thing, and still have cable downstairs. Hows it work? You can watch different channels? What about the HD channels?

its just piggy backs on your set top box, and can watch all the channels it can watch. However, if someone is using the set top box, you have to watch whatever they are watching, so its better just to get two boxes. This is useful for people who travel a lot or something similar