Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

BlackT5

The Dept paid for the first class I took in Jan. but since all we require is Rescue Tech I/II, this is extra curriculum.

I want to gain a leadership role with our SAR team, and at the same time want to bring the entire team up a higher level and be able to do more advanced rescues, which would allow us to be called for Mutual Aid throughout the state. If we can start going on Mutual Aid calls, it will mean some money in the teams pocket, but also money and recognition for the Dept.

We had a cliff rescue a week ago that involved some unusual techniques to get to the patient, and being limited in what I am trained to do, it took longer than it should have and was not the safest way of doing it. With this class I will learn how to effectively do such a rescue quicker, and safer.

They are not cheap classes, running $1200/person so its not something the whole SAR team can take. If I learn and become fluent with the skills, I will be able to pass the knowledge onto the rest of the team.

It would be nice if we could get Fed grants, or even State grants to help pay for it, but we luckily have some wealthy individuals in the community who put interest in our Dept and help facilitate our operation, be it equipment, apparatus, or training.

Been wanting to take this class for a while but just didn't have the money. Applied for and was awarded a grant that will pay for half the class.

Untitled_zps6yalwqnv.png

We do a course just this. CommTrain Rescue Course for Towers. Working on towers Im required to do this once a year

Usually when using static, you have some kind of fall arrest device. Without any kind of device, a fall from even 5ft on static rope can seriously injure you. We use static rope in rescue for its low stretch. That way we can load the rope with a rescuer, victim, and even a team of 4 rescuers to carry a stokes, with out the rope stretching. When being raised by a haul team, you do not want the rope to stretch, it would take forever to be raised.

We always use two lines. A Main Line, and a Safety or Belay Line. As you are lowered on the Main Line, it is always kept taught. Never do you have slack on the Main Line. The Belay Line is always kept just loose enough so it does not lock the "brakes", the tandem prusiks, but only with maybe a foot of slack. That way if something happens with your Main Line, you only fall less than a foot before the rope catches you.

The downside is that any static rope that is shock loaded like that, must be taken out of service, where as dynamic rope can be shock loaded over and over. So A fall, even if you are not injured, can get pretty expensive depending on the amount of rope you have deployed.

Curious, do you guys use static or dynamic rope for the towers? What kind of fall restraint systems do you use?

Static rope for lifting and rigging and dynamic rope for rescue and repelling. Fall restraints are double Y lanyards and we use 10Ft Adjustable Gillions for positioning. Towers also us a 3/8ths steel cable running up them for your climb and decent ( Safety Climb)

We also always use 2 lines for rescue/repelling. one for your fisk, and one 5/8ths line for your safety

Edited by WayAway