Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

was it driven in the winter in ma?

**cringes**

My 04 just had every bolt in the rear end replaced at the dealer's after 2 indie shops told me they wouldn't touch it. All that to install some rear camber bushings. If it has underbody rust, do yourself a favor and start soaking the bolts that may need to come out. I had replaced most of the ones in the first year of getting my car after 9 winters in Rochester, NY.

was it driven in the winter in ma?

Yes it saw some winters, suspension/undercarriage is very clean for age though. Heat shield on exhaust has seen better days I have IPD oval cat back waiting to replace it. Paint is very good as is the interior. Was a 2 owner car with complete maintenance history. Install exhaust and some new wheels drive and enjoy. Won't see any more winters in MN.

• Upvote 1

Got this installed today. Could not have gone easier. Thanks Matt. Highly recommended for anyone needing a new ABS module. 

IMAG0508_zpsshdwi3ad.jpg

• Upvote 2

I had replaced most of the ones in the first year of getting my car after 9 winters in Rochester, NY.

**cringes**

Edited by Timbo Slice

**cringes**

My 04 just had every bolt in the rear end replaced at the dealer's after 2 indie shops told me they wouldn't touch it. All that to install some rear camber bushings. If it has underbody rust, do yourself a favor and start soaking the bolts that may need to come out. I had replaced most of the ones in the first year of getting my car after 9 winters in Rochester, NY.

it was slightly painful to see the surface rust appear on suspension parts on my old R after one winter in WI. 

I won't even pull the M3 out into my driveway until spring and the salt has washed away. 

So nice to not have even a speck of rust.. Brake lines loosen like butter..

the amount of fucking salt they use does more damage than good

• Upvote 2

the amount of fucking salt they use does more damage than good

I get PO'ed talking to people who use the line: "it makes the roads so much safer". Marginal gains, massive damage to the water table.

• Upvote 3

I rode my Aprilia after they salted the roads. I figured meh, it's not a garage princess. I want to use my stuff. For the couple more rides that got me, I regret everything. Doubt I'll be repeating that.

I get PO'ed talking to people who use the line: "it makes the roads so much safer". Marginal gains, massive damage to the water table.

Those are the same idiots who drive SUV's with wide worn all seasons but 4WD. And the same who like street lights "because it makes it easier to see" (excluding cities).

Sand seems to help without too without the corrosive issues. But it doesn't make the road in to a slushy mess. Last year my work was salting the piss out of their intersections and the mess it created had dramatically less traction than any of the snow-covered road leading up to it. Most salt formulations accelerate wear on concrete too, doesn't it? I wish they'd just save the salt for when black ice is a concern. In lower New England, most of the snow will melt off the road in the morning when the sun comes out.

So what are we missing? Surely road managers know more than I do. Is it driven by the idiot-public demanding something they shouldn't have? Liability? Ignorance? Or do the road managers really feel their approach is the most effective?

Picked up this 01 T5 auto for a grand for my DD. Needs a little TLC, but overall is in very good shap. Interior is pretty mint and it has the sport seats. The R is offically being retired from daily duty.

IMG_1091.JPG

• Upvote 1

In response to Alden, here's one way of thinking about it.  Best researched and  least biased article I could find.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/13/7531833/road-salt-environment-alternatives

One fascinating insight, and gives reason to reconsider buying any car that is driven in Massachusetts in the Winter.  MA, NH, VT and NY massively over salt (3x) when compared to States that get similar amounts of snow like Idaho and Illinois. Only Michigan is in the same league almost.

In response to Alden, here's one way of thinking about it.  Best researched and  least biased article I could find.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/13/7531833/road-salt-environment-alternatives

One fascinating insight, and gives reason to reconsider buying any car that is driven in Massachusetts in the Winter.  MA, NH, VT and NY massively over salt (3x) when compared to States that get similar amounts of snow like Idaho and Illinois. Only Michigan is in the same league almost.

They don't mention a strategy I've seen in action, though not for long: Leave the snow on the road. Snow traction is better than slush or ice. I realize that's not always ideal because snow may lead to ice as it melts. But seems like that could be handled. Maybe that's the time to start salting, and it's a way to cut down on salt usage.

The article talks about the days of snow chains. I feel it's quite different now. Maybe we should try what we did before. From what I gather, the tires are much better than they were back then. My personal experience is that only steep hills would need treatment, and maybe major intersections. Germany requires everyone to switch to snow tires don't they? Does anyone know if that works, and what approach they use on the roads?

2016 Ford Fusion ,

One week vacation to Punta Cana.

S60R rear rotors 

:D 

Finally I put my hands on a brand new rear sun curtain. Part# 9204515    ...in a brown box!  :)

9204515 Sun Curtain.jpg

Edited by DragosD
  • Upvote 4