Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

USI 4 in 1 Smoke, CO, natural gas alarm

Universal Security Instruments Hardwired Smoke/Fire, Carbon Monoxide and Natural Gas Detection Smart Alarm with Battery Backup (2-Pack)

I wonder what Jon has to say about these. I wanted a dual sensor that would also do CO.

That is actually a good alarm from what I know. We carry and give away the smoke alarms of that brand and they are very effective for the price. You should have one of those outside of every bedroom and in the living quarters. Remember to change the batteries every time you change your clock, even if its a wired unit. You never know when the power might go out.

8 hours ago, Black Betty said:

USI 4 in 1 Smoke, CO, natural gas alarm

I wonder what Jon has to say about these. I wanted a dual sensor that would also do CO.

Just dangle some truck nutz from it and Jon will approve

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Kevin. said:

thanks for reminding me how crappy this winter is

good news for anyone in my area, since I shelled out a grand for a snowblower we'll only get half an inch at a time this year... 

13 hours ago, survolvo said:

That is actually a good alarm from what I know. We carry and give away the smoke alarms of that brand and they are very effective for the price. You should have one of those outside of every bedroom and in the living quarters. Remember to change the batteries every time you change your clock, even if its a wired unit. You never know when the power might go out.

That's good to hear. I was checking to see if any of the existing units were CO when I found 2 of them were 14 years old. Under MD law I could have had them replaced by the landlord, but I'd much rather pay to have them also do CO. CO isn't covered until 2018 for this vintage home. 

had a friend help with the early work for "Nest" so I have two of the Nest Protect units wired with battery backup at my house

20 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

Did you not get anything last night? We got a couple inches overnight up here.

1/2 an inch :(

Douchebag plant manager at one of my accounts has the dual basketball size ones on the wussiest Chevy 1500. it's lifted like 6" and they still drag on the ground.

T3 out of a 2000 S60 w/ 120k miles. Decided since mine had 200k on it, might as well. Paid $600 for the whole thing, going to sell the turbo that came with it.

Any suggestion on what to do before I drop it in? It looks super clean, no oil leaks anywhere. I plan on going through the PCV system, doing plugs and stuff like that obviously and also putting a timing belt and water pump in it before I put it in... but do you guys think I should do valve seals too?

20160123_113033.jpg

Edited by mattsk8
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mattsk8 said:

T3 out of a 2000 S60 w/ 120k miles. Decided since mine had 200k on it, might as well. Paid $600 for the whole thing, going to sell the turbo that came with it.

Any suggestion on what to do before I drop it in? It looks super clean, no oil leaks anywhere. I plan on going through the PCV system, doing plugs and stuff like that obviously and also putting a timing belt and water pump in it before I put it in... but do you guys think I should do valve seals too?

Do valve seals on a 15 year old engine while it's out?  Absolutely. I'd also consider replacing any of the remaining rubber hoses, especially the elbows that are a struggle to reach once it's installed.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Burn-E said:

Do valve seals on a 15 year old engine while it's out?  Absolutely. I'd also consider replacing any of the remaining rubber hoses, especially the elbows that are a struggle to reach once it's installed.

Positively doing all the hoses. Cool, I'll order up. Any valve seal kits I should avoid?

Valve guide seals...  I don't know if I would go through the hassle if they don't appear to be leaking (and assuming it hasn't been sitting for some time).  I will disclose I've done a number big repairs to my car lately, so I'm really out of the 'like' to fix anything that doesn't need it.

With that said, most people here recommend Volvo OE seals.  Apparently there's a high failure rate with aftermarket seals.  I personally, used a Victor Reinz kit about two years (~40k miles) ago, and haven't had any issues.  I've seen first hand, people using a socket to install the seals.  I would not do this, because it creates probability for damage and subsequent failure.

Where'd you source the engine from?  I'm thinking I'll be in that market soon, with nearly 300k on mine...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, mojojo said:

Where'd you source the engine from?  I'm thinking I'll be in that market soon, with nearly 300k on mine...

car-part.com :cool:

• Upvote 1