Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

6 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

Agreed^

Such a roomy and great looking mid size suv. Only comment... I can't believe these cars are sold with Halogen Headlamps... :(

You can't? That's like Volvo's motto. "Modern features five years from now!"

It's all about Scandinavian simplicity.  Why be avant garde when you can be functional and minimalist. When you have a monopoly on Scandinavian design in the automotive world you act like a monopolist: "Well, since Volvo Cars is the only remaining automotive brand in Sweden, we are by definition the only carmaker that can create original Scandinavian Design." Thomas Ingenlath

I'm discovering with every trip I make over there to work with our Danish / Swedish design team that they're extremely conservative people.  Why put a modern LED headlight on something when the existing approach provides "enough" light.

You 'can' get projectors/hid's on a xc60 - just the majority of them don't have em. All of the R-Design models do I believe. I wouldn't buy one without them. Actually I would only get an R-Design. That's all. Im done.

10 minutes ago, Burn-E said:

It's all about Scandinavian simplicity.  Why be avant garde when you can be functional and minimalist. When you have a monopoly on Scandinavian design in the automotive world you act like a monopolist: "Well, since Volvo Cars is the only remaining automotive brand in Sweden, we are by definition the only carmaker that can create original Scandinavian Design." Thomas Ingenlath

I'm discovering with every trip I make over there to work with our Danish / Swedish design team that they're extremely conservative people.  Why put a modern LED headlight on something when the existing approach provides "enough" light.

It's not just exterior styling. Like my 2010 S80. Had Bluetooth for taking calls, but you couldn't stream music. Little things like that. 

I mean, it doesn't matter. I enjoy daily driving my base model passat more than I have any of my Volvos I think. I probably won't own another volvo for daily driving purposes. 

Right, I wasn't talking exterior design but instead the entire system approach to the vehicle.

7 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

Agreed^

Such a roomy and great looking mid size suv. Only comment... I can't believe these cars are sold with Halogen Headlamps... :(

7 hours ago, theForgottenone said:

Nice ride. You will love it.

Thanks!  Like the R but the deal in this was too good to pass.  Really smooth.  I want that steering wheel in my Subaru now!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, zpd said:

Thanks!  Like the R but the deal in this was too good to pass.  Really smooth.  I want that steering wheel in my Subaru now!

Base model BMWs, some Audi, VW, Mercedes-Benz...all come with halogen headlights

I don't agree with it but it's probably an effective cost cutting measure

majority of it is for people that just don't know and just want the badge or "so called status" associated. This isn't the case for ZPD... because his is a volvo and this is a Volvo forum lol but I stand by my statement for the rest lol

I personally wanted the Rsport because of the seats, wheels and suspension bits, could care less about the gauges

But the gauges are sweet though. Bonus!

I really would like to find a set of R-sport gauges for my XC90, would pull the interior together great with the OR stitching and whatnot.

Hey, welcome back, Don! Glad to see you back in the Volvo game. :smile: Any wheels in mind for it?

Btw, my work moved into a new building, so I'm pretty much a minute or two away from Heartland town center. I'll have to keep an eye out for you. haha

The halogen headlights are not so much a cost cutting measure, more a base price reduction measure.

In countries where cars tend to be ordered as per the customers wishes - like in Europe - lots of options can be individually selected. A low base price looks good on paper but few people buy a low spec car. It is entirely possible to order a new XC60 with "absolutely nothing" which gets you plenty of standard equipment but also non heated cloth seats. A higher trim level will be more expensive yet is often the better choice as the options it includes would cost more if added to the lower trim level. Plus certain trim levels give unique options you can't otherwise get - like pointless chrome frames for the interior dashboard vents.

One thing I will bash Volvo for is that they have allowed their design department to focus too much on the minimalist part of their "functional and minimalist" design on recent models. Previously they managed to display ETA and the remaining distance on the navigation screen, now you can't have both at the same time. Or getting rid of the engine oil dipstick and using a digital readout that is not intuitive to use. What is even more strange is all the technology that Volvo has developed/made working prototypes of yet failed to introduce. Like night vision...

23 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

majority of it is for people that just don't know and just want the badge or "so called status" associated. This isn't the case for ZPD... because his is a volvo and this is a Volvo forum lol but I stand by my statement for the rest lol

It is slightly ridiculous when you see Corollas with LED headlights, I agree for sure, and it's amusing because there was recently an article (In Canada at least) about how the stock halogens in the base model 3 Series and C-Class are dangerously low output...:laugh:

On May 24, 2016 at 4:55 PM, RBoy8 said:

Hey, welcome back, Don! Glad to see you back in the Volvo game. :smile: Any wheels in mind for it?

Btw, my work moved into a new building, so I'm pretty much a minute or two away from Heartland town center. I'll have to keep an eye out for you. haha

Thanks Mike!  Not 100% sure yet on the wheels.  Wife want silver.  I'm thinking 20's, TSW Bathurst?  She likes that wheel.  

R seats are nice but the premium plus interior is decent, very comfy.

On 5/24/2016 at 10:01 AM, ruecatinat said:

Base model BMWs, some Audi, VW, Mercedes-Benz...all come with halogen headlights

I don't agree with it but it's probably an effective cost cutting measure

Exactly. Take a look at the MKV vs MKVI GTI/GLI. standard features from the MKV to the MKVI are pretty substantial. even the design itself of both. HID projectors came standard of the MKV's, now only optional on the MKVI and VII's. the instrumentation is different (more basic). plenty of other differences. I really feel like the quality of the fit and finish diminished after the MKV. 

I understand it may come down to a cost-cutting basic principle, but it's just meh