Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

Bought a Tomtom Rider V5. My old Tomtom's battery has become useless. I use my phone for most things these days anyway. But it's still nice to have a dedicated GPS in eye sight sometimes. And not have to rely on data signal. So I bought a motorcycle model which I'm sure I'll use in the car too. This one's waterproof, I should be able to pre-plot complex routes at the computer and load them up (my old one couldn't do that). The real selling point is a 'winding roads' feature which allegedly functions similar to 'avoid highways' but will find more interesting paths to places.

450_IMG_1052.JPG

1 hour ago, Kevin. said:

T6 AWD?  :biggrin:

T5 - you get what get when you buy used. I am very happy with it. 

57 minutes ago, boxpin said:

T5 - you get what get when you buy used. I am very happy with it. 

I liked my t5. Put 75k trouble free miles on it. 

Skybox16.jpg

Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite

• Upvote 1

Couldn't find a pass side wide angle mirror anywhere. They are also on backorder from Volvo. All of the mirrors on ebay UK are aftermarket. So I got creative and bought a whole mirror assembly and had it shipped from England :laugh: Paid less than the cost of a new mirror from Volvo. 

BECB11F2-2B3B-4724-902C-6E71258CA7B0.jpg

Turns out it's unheated -  I forgot to check for that before purchasing :dry:. I'll probably install it anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Install just the glass or the complete mirror?

There is a difference between RHD and LHD mirror assemblies. Drivers side mirrors have the glass positioned further to the edge of the unpainted plastic frame. This is accomplished by a different internal structure and can't easily be changed. Because of the different structure and changed position of the adjustment "tray" the glass has different adjustment travel for LHD and RHD.

Tl;dr: There are 4 different mirrors. They are different.

3 hours ago, Blockpartie said:

Install just the glass or the complete mirror?

There is a difference between RHD and LHD mirror assemblies. Drivers side mirrors have the glass positioned further to the edge of the unpainted plastic frame. This is accomplished by a different internal structure and can't easily be changed. Because of the different structure and changed position of the adjustment "tray" the glass has different adjustment travel for LHD and RHD.

Tl;dr: There are 4 different mirrors. They are different.

I only wanted the glass itself. Already tossed the mirror assembly. Are you saying the mirror assemblies are different or the mirror glass is different?

I'll have to install the glass and see if it looks funky or doesn't sit properly in the housing. 

Was my explanation insufficient or did you stop reading in the middle of the 2nd sentence? [...] difference between RHD and LHD mirror assemblies [...]

The mirror assembly is different, this includes the painted mirror cap for some reason. What Volvo did was make specific variants of the cast aluminum frame (the inner metal bit) to position the mirror glass in what they considered to be the ideal place. Mirror glass and mirror adjustment motor are swappable, however there are different variants of the mirror glass. (non wide angle with text (english) / non wide angle with text (arabian) / non wide angle without text / non wide angle without text with symbol for heating ("bacon indicator") / wide angle without text / wide angle without text with symbol for heating ...)

5 hours ago, Blockpartie said:

Was my explanation insufficient or did you stop reading in the middle of the 2nd sentence? [...] difference between RHD and LHD mirror assemblies [...]

The mirror assembly is different, this includes the painted mirror cap for some reason. What Volvo did was make specific variants of the cast aluminum frame (the inner metal bit) to position the mirror glass in what they considered to be the ideal place. Mirror glass and mirror adjustment motor are swappable, however there are different variants of the mirror glass. (non wide angle with text (english) / non wide angle with text (arabian) / non wide angle without text / non wide angle without text with symbol for heating ("bacon indicator") / wide angle without text / wide angle without text with symbol for heating ...)

Are you related to JRL? Your explanation was insufficient. You use the phrase mirror assemblies once. Then you use the words "mirror" and "glass." Thanks for your help. :rolleyes: