Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

BlackT5

1 hour ago, FINN said:

I get it.  Generally I have studio reference headphones in the car when I'm setting everything up to try to get as close of a true sound as possible.  Directional tweeters make a big diffence to my ears and I never have friends who are audiophiles going for long rides.  My doors have Polk DXI651 powered with an MB Quart Amp along with a 10" RE sub and rear wagon tweeters disconnected...sounds fantastic.  I'd be super excited to hear what you come up with.

It'll be interesting, this will be the first time I've tried this. I have a measuring system to measure frequency response; what I'll do is put the measuring mic at ear level on the center console and go for a flat frequency response there. It'll also be interesting to see how the driver's side measures compared to the passenger side... curious if it'll need 2 different crossovers (one for driver and a different one for passenger side) to get a flat response. Once I get around to it I'll start a thread in the car audio part. FWIW, those Peerless XT25 tweeters are incredible; they've been used in a lot of pretty expensive home audio speakers over the years, like in the Polk Audio LSi15 speakers, and the Krell LAT 2.

On December 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM, FINN said:

I'd much rather set the sound stage up front since thats where you sit.  Its amazing what you can achieve with only front door components and a sub.

My M3 came with a full SQ system, all Focal Utopia separates up front and an ADS amp. JL subs. It was ok. I don't care for car audio, it's more of a convenience. It never compares to a good home system and my M3 is loud and there's no point. So I put some MB Quart speakers and an alpine amp in and sold the Utopias and ADS stuff for a lot of $

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My M3 came with a full SQ system, all Focal Utopia separates up front and an ADS amp. JL subs. It was ok. I don't care for car audio, it's more of a convenience. It never compares to a good home system and my M3 is loud and there's no point. So I put some MB Quart speakers and an alpine amp in and sold the Utopias and ADS stuff for a lot of $

Obviously for more racecar parts?

• Upvote 1

Bought a huge sheet of this stuff to build a "greenhouse" to work on the Volvos in; I'm sick of working outside in the winter.  This is gonna be so much fun.  I think I might even be able to attach this building directly to the basement.

s-l1600.jpg

On 12/13/2016 at 8:51 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

Damn, nothing like having a $3k to $5k set of speakers in your front doors (literally, not exaggerated). I've never heard the Focal Utopia car speakers. I've heard the home speakers and they sound really good. How do your MB Quarts compare?

On December 16, 2016 at 0:26 PM, mattsk8 said:

Damn, nothing like having a $3k to $5k set of speakers in your front doors (literally, not exaggerated). I've never heard the Focal Utopia car speakers. I've heard the home speakers and they sound really good. How do your MB Quarts compare?

They create sound. That's about all. That's  all I wanted. (They're just NOS German coaxials from the 90s) 

I had no use for the focals in the M3 it's loud and highend components are pointless in it.