Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Post A Picture Of Your Latest Purchase

1 hour ago, Fudge_Brownie said:

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

I wonder what the net environmental impact is of increasing gas mileage by burning more oil. Probably an overall win since it still passes emissions but kinda funny. Are the oil burners more prone to plug fouling or shortened catalytic converter life?

Good question, not sure I have an answer on that. Most of these oil burners have like 100k service internals on plugs. I think they time these pieces of shit to just completely fall apart all at once.

Not sure about the converters, I haven't worked in a shop in a few years.

22 hours ago, Ihatespeedbumps said:

My personal opinion? Lots of bad engineering.

The low tension piston rings that are used to boost fuel economy don't help either. In the case of something like the N63 BMW engine, poor valve stem seal quality and long oil change intervals. All varies from engine to engine, but ultimately stems from planned obsolescence. Modern cars are simply not designed to last 20 years anymore. Not easily anyways. 

Long OCIs definitely play a role, the BMW interval was 15,000 KMs (I changed mine at 6000KM). Consider this was one of VW's first direct injection engines as well..

16 hours ago, Ihatespeedbumps said:

Good question, not sure I have an answer on that. Most of these oil burners have like 100k service internals on plugs. I think they time these pieces of stuff to just completely fall apart all at once.

Not sure about the converters, I haven't worked in a shop in a few years.

Can tell you that the GLI I previously mentioned (the 2.0T FSI) has lasted almost 200,000KM (125,000 miles roughly) without any catalytic converter concern...

Lots of higher mileage 2.0T FSI motors around my area...they're no Volvo 5 cylinder but I can also tell you that this GLI doesn't blow through steering racks, clog PCVs, fail ABS modules...:dry:

1 hour ago, gmsgltr said:

that was Gary's?

Yeah, decided to let the cat outta the bag

• Upvote 1

Make sure you shampoo the fart smell out of the driver's alcantara.

Congrats man ;)

• Upvote 2

gary was taking a pic of the drivers ass I see... typical.

get some clear sidemarkers on that bad boy!

It is a great color. It's a single owner car owned by an older couple that took it to the dealer every 5k miles for service.  Anything broken was fixed. Car drives better than my Audi does. 

23 hours ago, gilber33 said:

It is a great color. It's a single owner car owned by an older couple that took it to the dealer every 5k miles for service.  Anything broken was fixed. Car drives better than my Audi does. 

That was my 97 - single owner, garage stored in winter while he was in Florida. 

Auto? Looks like an N/A judging by the Cetus though I think I see a GLT badge...

51 minutes ago, ruecatinat said:

That was my 97 - single owner, garage stored in winter while he was in Florida. 

Auto? Looks like an N/A judging by the Cetus though I think I see a GLT badge...

1996 GLT NA. It's by far the slowest car I've owned. But it does the job and it's very comfortable.  

23 hours ago, gilber33 said:

1996 GLT NA. It's by far the slowest car I've owned. But it does the job and it's very comfortable.  

My N/A 850 is tied with my stock Jetta TDI for slowest car ever - enjoy it for what it is, loved mine. Congrats on another clean find, you do really well with used cars in your area...