Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Che'_Moderator

Fcp Drilled And Slotted P2 R Rotors

Looking form feedback on the P2R rotors from FCP. These could be a great addition to any BBK using S60R rotors. As a special limited time offer to get feedback they are currently $225 shipped with the Volvospeed coupon code. More info here:

http://volvospeed.com/index/s60r_v70r_drilled_slotted_rotors.html

I think http://www.frozenrotors.com/ may be a bit of competition, at $164.42 each, which includes cryotreatment and zinc plating.

IMG_4490.jpg

Sigh. Totally would have bought these when I installed my BBK. I think I paid around the same for standard iPd rotors.

225 shipped vs 330+ ship.... Not seeing it.

Try factoring in 3X the ware resistance which equals three times the life, and they will not ever warp.

I have never warped a rotor on a street car. And any rotor will warp if not installed correctly. And they do not last 3 times as long. Where did you get those numbers?

I have never warped a rotor on a street car. And any rotor will warp if not installed correctly. And they do not last 3 times as long. Where did you get those numbers?

Well, lets see, I'm currently at 360,000 miles, so I have some experience on the frequency of brake repair. Another Nay Sayer, who also is a spec racer, was complaining to me how he goes threw a set of rotors and two to three sets of pads in a weekend. I talked him into trying they, and he now gets three full weekends out a set of rotors and goes through 1/2 the number of pads.

So now it saves pads too. Wow. So cyro treating a rotor makes the car lighter or increases the mass of the rotor? You cyro stainless not mild so it does not even make much sense on paper. But in addition, what gains you get on paper are aspects of expansion. Its why gun barrels are cyro treated. Been a long standing myth its for life span when its actually for accuracy... and gun barrels are usually stainless.

There were problems getting a shipping quote. Please verify the delivery and product information and try again.

If this does not resolve the issue, please call in to complete your order.

But seems like a good deal. Way better than refrigerater rotors

Anyone using them? Reviews?

I have never warped a rotor on a street car.

I have. Napa rotors, on the 850 actually. First time not using performance rotors. First time ever warping new rotors.

http://www.drt-sport...rs-rotors-front

What about these? $160 for the pair. They even have painted hats so they dont rust out in a week.

Myself and a few of my friends have purchased these, and I have no qualms about putting them on any car I drive.

Side note. Every time I ordered a hat color they always come silver. Not Black. Not Red. Silver.

If it matters to you, you might want to email them after placing your order.

So now it saves pads too. Wow. So cyro treating a rotor makes the car lighter or increases the mass of the rotor? You cyro stainless not mild so it does not even make much sense on paper. But in addition, what gains you get on paper are aspects of expansion. Its why gun barrels are cyro treated. Been a long standing myth its for life span when its actually for accuracy... and gun barrels are usually stainless.

NO, actually it creates a micro grain structure by converting left over austinite from the forging / casting process, converting it to martensite which is a more desirable constituent of the steel amalgam. With the micro grain structure achieved by the process, the rotors will dissipate heat more efficiently and pads will last longer. By the way, the world isn't flat.

Gratz you discovered the tempering annealing process. That is not how you temper mild steels though. More importantly tempered steel does not appreciably dissipate heat faster but thanks for playing.

By the way, the world isn't flat.

Damn, I was afraid of taking a cruise for this very reason for such a long time. Lucky for me VS is here to help out. :tup:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

• Similar Content

• By apeacock
      1999 V70 R - Needed a VS build thread.

Wagon is a Canadian, originally tested by a rental car company and thankfully for me was rejected. Purchased in 2012 I'm the third owner. Vehicle thad a full service history that would put other anal Volvo owners to shame.

Mods list run down

Suspension/Brakes:
      Ohlins Road holding kit Front - Rebuilt by PSI, Performance Shock Inc in California.
      Ohlins Road holding kit Rear 
      TME Awd Springs -
      IPD Front 25mm Sway bar
      IPD Rear Bar
      IPD Strut tower brace
      Solid-ish Top engine mount
      Poly Firewall Mount.
      Ceika 330mm large 6pot Front set  -Street Grey Pads
      Porsche 330mm 4pot rear brakes  - Textar Porsche 996 Pads
      Engine/Exhaust:
      Stev0 Tune running 20-24
      BW EFR 7064 Turbo Smart CBV and Dual port wastegate
      Snabb Reverse intercooler piping kit
      Custom Inlet tube mated to 3.5" maf housing
      VR exhaust manifold - Milled Flat to fit T3 Turbo
      Custom DP from Aaron
      Magnaflow rear mufflers
      Do88 intercooler -
      Do88 Rad

Wheels:
      Borbet LV5 with Bridgestone Potenzas.

Many thanks to Bmac,Steve, Hussein, and anyone else for answering the endless questions.

Day 01:
      Car came with its drive shaft pre-removed but included. 12 total wheels and tires, a brand new set of R mats in the volvo box, and a stack of service receipts totaling 26,000 CAD.

Purchased at 121,000 miles currently 152k on everything.

March 2014 - Acquired many nice parts through the winter. Met Bmac and got everything installed and then had Steve tune it the same evening. Long day but everything has held together like new since then.

Snabb kit was a oh yeah! to install, lower pipe need to sit just right to make it all work.

18" of space was nice but we almost needed more.

Clamshell was not surprisingly rusted closed.

ugly ugly welds but it went in perfectly. Did require cutting the old downpipe to clear the angle gear.

Bens BIG turbo

Manifold and turbo and exhaust removed.

Nice new nuts and reused the washers.

Huge difference in design.

Sway bars are such a nice improvement on this car
      Reused a front bar from VS, rear can be had new without buying the set (just ask)

Practice Safe Turboing

May '14

Tint and Clear Bra - No surprise it doesn't show up in pictures. The Tint Shop of Rochester NY did a great job. Happy to protect the newly painted front end. (barely visible below)

'Winning' Only two volvos that weekend so I can't be too happy.

Summer 2014
      Fitting some poly bushings to rattle my fillings out.

Sticker from the EST customer bbq day

Nice little paint job under the hood

Nothing Special but it does the job

March 2015
      Prep the Front shocks for service
      Found a guide form what what i can't believe is 10 years ago. Thankfully the pictures are still up http://v70r.com/forums/topic/1667-ohlins-strutspring-install/
      Had to get a offset box wrench but it was really the only tool for the job.

Rear set still brand new in box. Really excited to get this all in and be on the road

Not sure if VS works this way but Saving this space for suspension and brakes when they go on.

• By FrankenMoose
      S60R Exhaust Manifold.  Was Ceramic Coated, but I did not temper it properly, so most of it flaked off (that is what the rainbow effect is in the pics). Asking $100 plus shipping

• By andyb5
      Here's the story behind my new-to-me 2000 V70 R. Its gonna be a long post, and picture heavy too!
      This thread will serve as a continuation of sorts of my 1999 V70 R build, which can be read here:

The conclusion to that thread will come later this summer, as I will be pulling all the modifications of my 99 R, and transferring them to the 00 R.  Now, onto the details of my new Venetian Red 00 R!
      My friend sent me the for sale ad on Facebook:
      For Sale Listing by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Here's a couple of the photos from the listing:
      17620467_10154494181870784_372010645993208356_o by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      17620464_10154494182335784_8636334155269544591_o by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      After spending a few weeks negotiating with the seller, I bought a one way flight to Denver, packed some tools in my bag (I did, however, forgot to pack underwear ) and went to visit some friends before picking up a car and driving it 1900 miles across the country back to New York!!!
      I landed in Denver Friday evening (May 12) in the early evening.  While there, I got to check out the murals of the Denver Airport, and see all the other bits that are the basis for a long list of conspiracy theories.
      CD0E037B-3E37-400C-BC65-3B9EEC99E46C_zpsdkk1xhqi by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Here's how it sat when I picked it up from the seller at a shopping center a short walk from my friends apartment.
      3E085BA8-179C-44A1-8A2E-76D24AD52A83_zpspm5hoheq by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Shortly after taking delivery of my R, I went on a hike in up Golden with my friends.  The views were stunning to say the least.
      F107866E-885F-458D-96B5-147A206A9910_zpsdidwlu9z by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      2A293BF9-680B-4616-89D8-9C09AEC26E18_zpsnz8uztbw by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      After lots of fun touring around the Denver area on Saturday, I packed my stuff into the car and started driving back to NY on Sunday morning (May 14th) with plans to stop at my friend's place in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  Here are some photos from the drive Sunday.  Nebraska was wide open, flat, and very easy to drive through:
      DSC_0429 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Panorama by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Drove through miles of turbines in Iowa (despite the picture being of a singular turbine).  There's a Don Quixote joke here somewhere....
      DSC_0438 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Cruising towards Cedar Falls, Iowa and got to watch the sun set
      DSC_0439 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      DSC_0443 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Sunday's drive was about 800 miles, which took about 12 hours, and the drive home was off to a great, relatively easy start.
      Here's how my car sat outside my buddy's place in Iowa on Monday morning
      2F90F4FD-E9DC-497D-83FF-2EDEAC70CDA8_zpshxorvcge by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      When I left Iowa Monday morning, my destination was headed to Anthony's (@apeacock) house near Buffalo, NY.  Monday held about 850 miles of driving, which was about 13 hours of driving.
      Stopped for gas in PA.  I had a hard time with card reader on the pumps though....
      DSC_0465 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Made it to Anthony's around 10pm, did a quick test drive, and immediately face-planted into the extremely comfortable bed in Anthony's guest room.
      Monday morning before I left his house, Anthony took a cool photo of my wagon with his two wagons (99 R and 00 XC) 
      AD9C4A8B-E5B0-485A-B77C-B0D08D8FB43C_zpsfg13jvwc by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Made good time on my way back to Troy on Tuesday morning - at this point, 300 miles seemed like a short drive to me   I got to enjoy some really nice views in the mountains in western NY:
      DSC_0473 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Here's how the odometer when I made it home:
       568CF71D-B94C-4185-A996-1F446C56BBEA_zpsywubvime by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      The entire trip was 1960 miles, and I managed an average of 26.8 mpg at an average speed of 70 mph.  All of this was calculated from the trip computer. 
      And here's how my two wagons sat when I got the office on Tuesday at noon:
      B3A2735B-B3FE-43FF-967C-25719CF8F975_zpsu4wuhzaa by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Earlier tonight I got it registered in NY, so now the build can begin.  Stay tuned, this should be a fun project and I'm very excited to get working on it  
    • By Cfr452
      Hey I'm going to buy my first volvo tomorrow, a cherry v70R, however I do have one issue no manual transmission, so as I have read around I found out quite a bit but also still have a few questions. 
      One and this is definitely number one how hard is this swap? I'm not mechanicly stupid... I V8swaped a ford ranger when I was 15 by myself... but I'm also not the "master mechanic" I thought I was then, i ran into A LOT of problems... so to avoid amother mess like that I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. 
      Two, how much fabrication work is needed? 
      Three I don't want a zombie car I found a few posts about other country's being blessed with a manual version of this car(idk if I misread or not) But by zombie car I mean I don't want a 95 850 this, s70 that, a thing off a third gen, all smashed into a single car, I would like to stay (as close to) volvo (as possible)
      Four, from the guys who did it, how much did it. Cost you?
      Notes: it MUST stay AWD.
    • By andyb5
      Here's the story behind my new-to-me 1999 V70 R. Its gonna be a long post, and picture heavy too!

After wanting a P80 VR for a couple years, and finally being able to graduate from driving my parents old 98 V70 NA, I started looking for an R last May. I managed to convince my parents that a 12 year old turbo, AWD Volvo was the best car for me, and after nearly 8 months of searching, I finally picked my 1999 V70 R this past December. It had 149,022 miles on it, 2 previous owners and a decent maintenance log on its Carfax. In the last ~20k, it had a new master window switch, new front control arms, brake pads and rotors, and new front calipers, and a nice, matching set of Toyo all-season tires.

The first day I was home for winter break, my dad and I drove up to Massachusetts to pick it up. I get in, and even after sitting for a few days, it fired right up. After 4 years of driving a non-turbo V70, the first time I got into boost was beyond exciting.

On the way home, shortly before we got on I95, I hit a small pothole and then heard a very loud "clunk" followed immediately by a horrible grinding sound.  I freaked out and dumped the car in neutral and pulled over. As it turns out, the center driveshaft support plate was extremely corroded, and the pothole was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back, and the plate basically disintegrated into a pile of rust! The driveshaft was rubbing against the exhaust, and making a terrifying sound.

Thankfully, no damage occurred, (well, it sure tested my nerves!) but I was now stuck 35 miles from home with a car I couldn't drive. I got a tow from AAA to Tasca Volvo in Cranston RI, where they replaced the driveshaft support and my car passed RI inspection.

I left the dealership and headed up to my uncle's house to change the timing belt and serpentine belt, which were both about 7 years old, and not in the best of shape. My uncle is a Volvo Master Tech, and walked me through how to do both jobs. Even though I doubt he'll see this thread, I owe him a huge thank you for all his help these past few years.

0209121239 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

Here it is the first night I got it home to my parent's house:
      First night home by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

I love the R seats, much better than standard leather seats
      DSCN0532 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

Bought a box of Stage 0 goodies from FCP
      DSCN0461 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Rear license plate bracket, both front door warning lights, fuel filter, oil filters, spark plugs, a filler neck gasket, a cabin filter, and an air filter for the 98 so I could put my K&N panel in the R
      Cabin air filter was in need of replacement...
      DSCN0462 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

Mid-sparkplug change, and in the process of cleaning all the oil off the head. Leaky filler cap gaskets suck.
      DSCN0513 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

I replaced my SC901 with a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT
      installed 1 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

When I bought it, my drivers visor was broken. Total pain in the ass to deal with. That's been replaced, so much better.
      DSCN0383 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

In an attempt to fix a small oil leak, and since it needed to be done anyways, I replaced my PCV system. I dove into removing parts late Friday night, bought parts on Saturday and spent the morning cleaning 12 years of grime out of my engine bay, degreasing the ETM, cleaning the IC piping, etc. Saturday afternoon I installed the new PCV system--hardline around the block and all.
      DSCN0560 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

Yeah, that never needs replacing
      DSCN0573 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

ETM looks much better after cleaning; and there's no sign of it acting up so far.
      DSCN0580 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

I started to put things back together, and called it a night. Sunday morning I tried to wrap things up, and ended up spending 2+ hours attempting to get the banjo fitting on the underside of the intake manifold
      I finally got everything put back together, and top off my coolant, only to find it slowly leaking out of the banjo fitting on the drivers side of the block  
      It turned out that I forgot to replace 1 of the crush washers, and had to wait until Monday morning to get the washer and finish everything up. I may have set a VS record for longest PCV replacement

Once I got back to school in January, I went to change the oil, and had some "issues." The filter housing was on so tight that I couldn't break it free with a breaker bar on the OEM filter housing socket. Pissed off didn't even begin to describe how I was feeling at this point. So I grabbed a drill, punched a nice big hole through it, and jammed a long screwdriver through the housing for more leverage. Lots of swearing later, it finally came off. I got a ride to the dealership and bought a new filter housing.

Unfortunately, the car started leaking lots of oil after that. I was not happy, and basically let it sit for a couple weeks, leaking more oil than the BP's Deepwater Horizon.  Semir (d s50r) was nice enough to lend a hand and fix my car. It turns out I nicked the oil pan with the drill bit, and the scratch was preventing the rubber gasket from fully sealing against the oil pan, which caused a fairly massive oil leak! He used some aluminum putty to fill the scratch, and it's still good till this day. Thanks again bro!

Anyways, here's a couple halfway decent pictures of my car earlier this winter.
      DSCN0610 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

DSCN0618 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

We finally got some snow
      Biotech in winter by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      I used that opportunity to verify that my AWD was 100% functional...
      Turns out it works very well, and does donuts quite nicely
      Drift by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

During spring break, I plasti-dipped my grille and repainted my lower grilles satin black. I also started to install a 5 channel amp, subwoofer, and component speakers.
      DSCN0665 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

Pictures of the stereo will come once its finished....

That's where I'm at so far. I'll be installing my projector retrofit this summer, and have accumulated a decent pile of parts that are waiting to be installed. I have plenty of mods planed, I just need more money and free time......

Thanks for reading!