Mwc Volvos @ Ikea Oct 2011 Photo Thread

Burn-E

Today we held the first annual (maybe semi-annual) MWC Volvos @ Ikea in Schaumburg. Biggest turnout we've had in the last 3 years for a MWC event.

- 28 cars from VS, SS, and a couple non-forum VCOA

- 35 people

- plenty of sun and fun and maybe a few meatballs

Spent the last two months trying every which way from Sunday to get someone from Ikea to talk with us to actually sanction an event. Even put together a very detailed packet outlining every Volvos at Ikea event publicized in the last 5 years showing pictures, announcements, rules, and the apparent enthusiasm from those stores. No one wanted to engage with us...

So we held the event anyway. :lol:

The crew from Ohio came and helped Lee celebrate his birthday last night. My wife took off with my DSLR this morning so I was stuck with pulling the old G5 out of the cobwebs to use - photos are still decent though.

IMG_0488.jpg

Jag wheels maybe even Jeremy could approve of...

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Gabe told me to make sure not to tell anyone he stuck the Volvo tag in there just for the photo...

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

Stu pontificating on why would you tuck the harness if you weren't going to clean up the engine bay...

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

The trophy winner...at other muscle car shows...we hear Lee's considering bringing a velvet rope and bouncer to keep the kiddies away next time

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

The one that stole the show

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

This lady rolled by in this XC90 and asked us if she could join the show...we're always happy to add to the crew even temporarily

IMG_0479.jpg

Later most of the MWC took an exciting cruise up to JJFab for actual work on cars, a cruise (I hear it even broke 40 MPH :lol:), and tons of hash browns.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics! Looks like you guys the perfect weather for a meet in October. Wouldnt be a meet if there wasnt a pic of everyone looking at Lee's engine bay. :P

Was that silver S70, Hawks25? Also the Amazon, was that the same one from the Naughty R event?

Yeah, Dan Dave (Hawks25) was there for a while. And that Amazon was at the Gilmore VCOA meet - vastly better condition than the 122 we saw at the Naughty S60 event. Car was MINT - it even puts Lee's car to shame.

Photos from the VCOA meet last year:

2010-volvo-club-national-meet-gallery-01

Who is Dan?

Hawk25's name is Dave

LOL! Whoops, meant Dave.

Yeah, Dan Dave (Hawks25) was there for a while. And that Amazon was at the Gilmore VCOA meet - vastly better condition than the 122 we saw at the Naughty S60 event. Car was MINT - it even puts Lee's car to shame.

Damn...that is minty clean! But it isnt as fast. :P

LOL! Whoops, meant Dave.

I knew it began with a D... :( :D

Blushing Lee is blushing.

Wouldnt be a meet if there wasnt a pic of everyone looking at Lee's engine bay. :P

No, Val wasn't there. He moved back to Ohio and didn't come out with that crew for this meet. The 854 belongs to Gabe (gilber Clunky McClunker.)

Looks like a great turnout guys...maybe next time for me. Maybe by that time I can park the car and go......pssssssssssssssssssssssh :)

No hashbrowns... but we went and got pizza at a place down the street. That bbq chicken pizza was BOSS!

I'll have my pics up here in a few... gonna sort through a few, pick which I want to post and I'll link to the rest via photobucket.

all of the fisheye photos were taken by my friend who had just picked up the lens and drove in with the black B5 A4. I take no credit for them. Anything not fisheye... was me.

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

annddd here are mine!

_MG_6542.jpg

_MG_6545.jpg

_MG_6547.jpg

_MG_6549.jpg

_MG_6551.jpg

_MG_6553.jpg

_MG_6554.jpg

_MG_6556.jpg

_MG_6560.jpg

_MG_6561.jpg

_MG_6562.jpg

_MG_6565.jpg

_MG_6563.jpg

_MG_6566.jpg

_MG_6567.jpg

_MG_6577.jpg

_MG_6582.jpg

_MG_6584.jpg

_MG_6585.jpg

_MG_6587.jpg

_MG_6588.jpg

_MG_6589.jpg

_MG_6597.jpg

_MG_6592.jpg

_MG_6590.jpg

there are some more in this folder... http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/north_shore_racer/Volvos%20at%20Ikea%202011/

just picked out most the good ones that gets everyones car in there and threw those up there.

Had a super great time today, besides the shitty traffic, my blown shock mount, my MAF giving up on me, 100 degree in car temps, 145 degree intake air temps, sitting in traffic more, and Justus' car unfortunate demise. All went smoothly and I'm really looking forward to spring when we can do this again. Big turnout, lots of P2's as you can see but it was generally a good time. Thanks to Lucas and Stu for making the trek up here to add two more cars to the group. Thanks again to Joe and Justus for being hospitable as usual, even with the crazy boat guy leaving us interesting "parking cards".

-John

Nice, guys! In case you didn't know, I am the organizer of the NEC Volvos @ Ikea meets. I have contacts at the MA and PA stores. I was approached by them several times saying that several other Ikea stores across the country heard about our events and would love to host them. I think the closest one to your area was Ohio.

Shoot me a PM and I will put you in contact with some of these people to get you where you want to be in terms of promotion/permission from the store. Good job regardless and great idea to just have the meet anyway. Some times these stores think its just a group of racer-boys that want a place to screw around. I'd love to see the Volvos @ Ikea tradition spread across the country..so lets make sure it does!

I know the next Volvos @ Ikea meet for the NEC won't be until April..but we are 100% keeping it semi-annual (twice). Speaking of that..I should probably announce that I've been talking with the MA and PA stores..and the April meet will be in MA, and the July meet will be in PA.

Archived