How To: Projector Hid Cut-off Mod. '98-2000 <acronym title='Eurosport Tuning'>EST</acronym> Projectors

Avboden

These are the projector headlamps/turnsignals and HID kits that Eurosport tuning sells. They just had/are having a sale of $350 for the whole shebang, headlights, turnsignals, and HID kit.

The projectors that come are NOT designed for HIDs. They even come with a sticker saying do not use an HID. However, this is pretty easily fixed.

Tools required:

Needle nose pliers

scissors

Philips screwdriver, preferably ratcheting and magnetic.

7mm socket with extension (could be 8, don't remember).

3M® High Temperature Aluminum Flue Tape (2113NA)

Time: 2-5 hours depending on your ability. This includes install into the car.

Okay, here's what we have out of the boxes.

headlights2.jpg

headlights3.jpg

headlights1.jpg

First thing's first, remove the lens from the headlight. It is held on by clips that are easily pried off with the needle nose pliars. Note where the clips are for reassembly. Set the lens aside carefully and don't drop it!

headlights5.jpg

headlights6.jpg

next, you will remove the plastic shroud inside the housing. This is held in by clips on the left and right sides. They can't really be accessed so careful brute force is the way to go. Start with the side on the curved end of the headlight, grip it and pull the shroud off. it takes some coercion. If you break the clip it's not my fault! I managed it just fine.

headlights7.jpg

headlights8.jpg

Now you have full access to the projector. It is held in with one gold screw and 2 nuts. remove the gold screw first! then remove the nuts. they are 7mm or 8mm, i can't remember. Unscrew the nuts a little at a time switching between them to keep it even. Note, these nuts may come off themselves, or they may just unscrew the stud. Either is fine. I had both happen, one type on each headlight.

headlights20.jpg

headlights9.jpg

headlights21.jpg

Now we have the projector out. Set everything else aside carefully.

Unscrew the 2 screws holding on the lens holder of the projector. Carefully remove the lens. Success! the cutoff shield is now visible.

headlights10.jpg

headlights11.jpg

Set the projector on it's face and unscrew the back end of it. Note that the backend has 2 set nubs and can only be reassembled one way!

headlights13-1.jpg

headlights14.jpg

the cut-off shield now just lifts out. Note how it is adjustable slightly, but reassemble with it in the same position it came in, like in the previous picture.

headlights15.jpg

Our goal now is to take this shield and make it a rectangle to give us a nice flat cut-off. Take your 3m high temp aluminum tape and cut off a few inches. Stick it to either the outside or inside of the shield. I eventually found it's nicer if you start with the inside.

headlights16.jpg

Now, take another piece of the tape and stick it to the other side of the shield, start in the middle and work your way out to avoid wrinkles. No sticky side of the tape should be left exposed.

Now, take your scizors and cut away the tape that's above the section of the shield that is already flat and high. You'll end up like this.

headlights17.jpg

Now, carefully fold over the excess tape flap, folding even with the highest point of the shield. Then trim the excess off the bottom. This extra fold over will give it a bit more strength though it doesn't really need it. Remember, it doesn't have to be pretty, just even. This doesn't reflect light, it just blocks it.

headlights18.jpg

headlights19.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN ANYTHING!

it is VERY weak metal, including the screws.

Why do I say this? well this is why

headlights23.jpg

yup, the screw sheared off in the hole. This was for the holder of the projector lens, I had to drill it out and replace the screw, real PIA to fix, you do NOT want to have to do this!

When you put the projector back into the headlight unit make sure to screw in the 2 nuts evenly, one then the other a little bit at a time. The gold screw is reinstalled LAST.

Oh yeah, MAKE SURE YOU PUT YOUR PROJECTOR IN THE RIGHT WAY! THE CUT OFF SHIELD GOES ON THE BOTTOM!

Why do I say this....I did it too!

09674297.jpg

luckily it's pretty quick to flip the projector around in the housing.

This brings me to my final install point. DO NOT BOLT IN THE HEADLIGHTS UNTIL YOU HAVE TESTED THEM! this will save you a lot of frustration.

As far as installation into the car I won't go into depth but there are 3 bolts from the back of each headlight holding it in. On installation of the new ones, mate the turnsignal and the headlight BEFORE mounting them in the car, it's a lot easier. Also note that the turnsignal bulb housing doesn't fit perfectly into the new signals, it takes some fiddeling to get them to fit. For the HID kit you'll need to dill a hole in the cover for the low beam compartment, the hole has to be big enough for all the wires and connectors to fit through, then the provided grommit seals it.

Final results!!!

Before aiming. Lights were WAYYY too high, as high as the highbeams should be.

f61f59f8.jpg

I went down and to the right significantly. The MIDDLE adjuster is height and the one on the top side is left/right.

after adjustment

7bf7a626.jpg

Note the virtually perfect cut-off. /bow

Parked back on the hill

5e9a7ee1.jpg

highbeams on, Piaa bulbs, non HID, still bright as heck.

b996b462.jpg

Aesthetics. Daytime shots to come tomorrow.

aa4590bf.jpg

I also finally removed my headlight wipers.

4efb9ff3.jpg

the turnsignals are pretty bright as well.

f27ccdb0.jpg

Any questions?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks good. if you want a razor sharp cutoff try making a shield out of a coke can bottle or thin thin sheet metal. im also impressed that these projectors came with clear lens'. the problem i see with what you did tho is your going to have light scattered all over the place due to all the ridges in your shield. props for going this far i dunno about u but to make my shields it would take over 5 hours of trial and error adjusting to get everything at the proper height/level.

dsc0271s.jpg

will make a cutoff like this

DSC_0076-1.jpg

also some people just shave down the shield to flat and it has worked for them

What's so much better about the clear lens? I didn't even think about it.

Pretty neat trick with the soda can making the razor sharp cut-off. The tape is just easier, no worry about affixing a new shield. I actually like the slightly less razor sharp line, it just looks better on the road to me.

What's so much better about the clear lens? I didn't even think about it.

crisper cutoff ,more color at your cutoff, a nicer "flicker" effect (get in front of your projectors and when you stand up or down youll see the different colors of the 'flicker' when you eyes go across the cutoff)

cutofss-1.jpg

goodcutoff.jpg

6hours into making my 2nd set of shields and i couldnt get that little ghost at the bottom of my light output shield to clear up. these projectors were e55s

another trick to mess around with your projectors is to make some spacers that space the bulb out from the projector by only 1-5 mm. this will also help get a straighter cutoff

What are the consequences of not doing this mod and just mounting HID's ? Just a thought, I mean is the cut off issue that bad? Looks like it would merely flood light on the surface directly in front of the car as well....

I was wondering that also. I was going to get a set of these, since the price seemed right. Not sure if I want to go through all this though.

The consequences are that the cutoff throws a large __// amount of light off to the right side of the road. It's meant to illuminate road signs but works a little too well with HIDs. I haven't done this mod and you get used to the strange cutoff. Personally I wouldn't go to the trouble of doing all this, I'd just retrofit some other projectors in there if I was going for the super sharp, flat cutoff. I've found the Audi TT xenon projectors to be an almost identical match in size to the ABM halogen units, and I've had half a dozen other kinds in there to compare with.

The consequences are that the cutoff throws a large __// amount of light off to the right side of the road. It's meant to illuminate road signs but works a little too well with HIDs. I haven't done this mod and you get used to the strange cutoff. Personally I wouldn't go to the trouble of doing all this, I'd just retrofit some other projectors in there if I was going for the super sharp, flat cutoff. I've found the Audi TT xenon projectors to be an almost identical match in size to the ABM halogen units, and I've had half a dozen other kinds in there to compare with.

__//

that's exactly what the cutoff on my 04 Jewels is with the HIDs in. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Besides the issue of lighting up entire houses on the right side of the road at night, it also blinds people you're passing through the reflection in their rear view mirrors.

I did this mod about two years ago now (I think), and it has held up nicely. I was initially concerned about the aluminum tape possibly deforming due to the heat from the headlight, but it's held up fine.

__//

that's exactly what the cutoff on my 04 Jewels is with the HIDs in. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

in my old 850 before i retrofited those jewel housings and in these i have for the s70 the light pattern looks like

__\/__\/__

P7280639.jpg

P7280640.jpg

i know theres uk/us lens specs, but for jewel housings are the reflector bowls any different? im thinking so if your beam pattern is differnt like that?

im dying to throw some low beam projectors in there but dont have the balls to cut these babies up

What are the consequences of not doing this mod and just mounting HID's ? Just a thought, I mean is the cut off issue that bad? Looks like it would merely flood light on the surface directly in front of the car as well....

The idea of projectors is to throw light further in front of the car and keep it from going above the cutoff line. Any stray light above the cutoff is considered glare. You basically blind oncoming traffic and light up trees high up (this is bad). HID projectors are specifically made to handle HID bulbs and make the most out of the light. Halogen projectors are designed differently, due to the lowered light intensity and differences in source location (there is one, albeit small, it's enough to mess it up).

While you do not need to do this, it is highly advised.

Here is a classic photo showing an absolutely perfect HID cutoff (Honda S2000 projector, I believe):

onex-hid-cutoff-line-step-6.jpg

FYI I am retarded, misunderstood the purpose of this for some reason after seeing the upside down picture above i reversed it in my mind and thought the cut off was for the bottom of the patter not the top...

I will probably do this... dont want to be shooting down airplanes.. :>

Archived