Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Che'_Moderator

Polestar Factory Tuning Options

11 posts in this topic

Polestar now offering upgraded ECUs from the dealer. Could be a sign of good things to come. More info here:

http://volvospeed.com/index/polestar-engine-tuning-volvo.html

You left the /11 and /12 S60's off the list. Swedespeed project T6 has the Polestar upgrade.

That's great news . A step in the right direction for sure.

You left the /11 and /12 S60's off the list. Swedespeed project T6 has the Polestar upgrade.

MY 11 and 12 are factory only. You cannot order it after the fact according to Polestar.

My take on this is, that it will be great for 2-3 year old cars. In a few years you would be better off with a more aggressive chip, but for your brand new baby this would be a great option. Hopefully they add exhaust and suspension items soon.

Assuming these ECU upgrades sell well, I don't see how they couldn't add more items to a Polestar performance line of factory options.

Nothing against Polestar, but I hope its just a test bed for proof of concept and not a long term alliance.

MY 11 and 12 are factory only. You cannot order it after the fact according to Polestar.

My take on this is, that it will be great for 2-3 year old cars. In a few years you would be better off with a more aggressive chip, but for your brand new baby this would be a great option. Hopefully they add exhaust and suspension items soon.

Strange, because the Swedespeed test car added it at the dealer, and others over there in the 11+ forum are getting it done at the dealer too.

2008 and 2009s do not even make sense to me. I know its the same as the newer models, but if I had a 2008 its coming off warranty I would be going with a more aggressive after market option. What is the pricing on these anyways?

Don't wait for anything better. This tuning has been available for some time in Europe now on more than just the T6 models.

The gains are nice but always within the tolerances allowed with certification in the country the tuning is provided.

As an example I used to drive a V70NN 2.5T which came with 200 hp in 2009. For the 2010 model the 238 hp 6 cylinder was dropped and the 2.5T gained 30 HP just like this engine does in the C30.

Polestar tuning for the 2009 model offered a 30 HP gain, for the 2010 model a 20 HP gain. When asking if the 2009 could be upped to 250 HP is was a clear no while in Sweden 200 HP models can be upped to 250 HP.

The price may be steep, some 20% over the other aftermarket brands with a more moderate gain, but I think the main plus besides the warranty is also that the software update will be added to Volvo's database so the car will keep the gain for the rest of it's lifecycle. Any future ECU software updates and the tuning won't be overwritten.

In Europe we had an intermediate model with the S60/V60 called the 2.0T. This engine produced 203 HP and was offered with the introduction of these models. The 35 HP stronger "T5"4 cylinder wasn't available at introduction. A couple of months ago the T5 started delivery and Volvo cancelled the 2.0T model. Shortly after a Polestar tuning was offered at reduced price for the 2.0T models upping the power to the same level as the T5.

Johann has got this matter spot on. This Polestar stuff is all created in house by Volvo's own software engineers, it is carefully written to match up with all Volvo's other criteria, presents no future warranty worries and will never be wiped during the course of a normal dealer service.

What it does not do presently and likely may not in the future is run engines with different exhausts intercoolers, bigger injectors and turbos etc., which is often what is required by my customers.

Also, in the UK most Volvo modifiers have older cars, certainly out of warranty so that is irrelevant to them.

It is interesting that Johann has brought up the subject of the 2.0l Ford Ecoboost engine badged Volvo for the S60/V70. This will be in the new Focus 5 door ST in the next few months and presumable in the new 5 door C30 'T5', but Volvo continue to offer the old 2.5l RNCT engine in the North American S60/V70 T5s. Is this due to Volvo wishing to get rid of their run out stock of those older engines in that area or some antipathy that the US has to some gasses in the exhaust of the latest Euro direct injection engines...?

Regards, Don.