Photo

Custom Carbon Fiber Ideas

carbon fibre carbon custom body parts cf

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#21 Che'_Moderator

Che'_Moderator

Monkey Master

• Admin
  • 24,862 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

Tires.

Already mostly carbon and kevlar.

#22 White4Life

White4Life

swamp full of black russian driving boats to beat the ding dang

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

Already mostly carbon and kevlar.

Shhhhhhhhh...talking to the OP.

#23 Kevin.

Kevin.

Mmmmm yeah, just put it in me!

• Gold Member
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

MOTOR

#24 MattyXXL

MattyXXL

Thought I had to dump out, turns out I didn't

• Gold Member
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

Emblems or at least emblem caps that could be affixed with epoxy over the existing emblems or something.
or
Door cups (the ones that always crack / where the door handles are
or
Cluster trim (around the gauges)
Or
intake funnel that fits in the lower grille for

1996 854 T-5 Modded, But who really Cares
1995 Yellow 854 T5-R Bone Stock!

http://www.floridavolvocommunity.com/

#25 Gideon35T

Gideon35T

GET OFF MY GRID, damn kids.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

For ease of producing and highest possible monetary gains ... interior cosmetics ... Sucks but it's the smart way.
Anything else is going to be huge amounts of time, labor, and overhead ... for ... little demand at the prices required to be worth it.
Besides, on street cars, CF is cosmetic. A $700 hood to save 10-15 lbs is NOT a performance mod worth the cost unless ... "Race Car" ...
Cheaper to take out the spare tire and tools then buy a AAA membership, lol - Cheap weight lose ;-)

2003 S60 2.4T: FMIC, 16T, OZ Wheels, B&G S2 Springs, etc. - 106k --- 1994 855 Turbo "Zombie Wagon": Roof rack, Push bar, 13 psi - 250k --- 1995 855 Turbo "Nessie": Replacement for the Zombie Wagon - 170k

gdizzle - ' I'm trying NOT to look like a total pretentious prick.  Those gloves scream, "HEY!  Look at me!  I'll suck your dick!"  No thanks. '

#26 Che'_Moderator

Che'_Moderator

Monkey Master

• Admin
  • 24,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

For ease of producing and highest possible monetary gains ... interior cosmetics ... Sucks but it's the smart way.
Anything else is going to be huge amounts of time, labor, and overhead ... for ... little demand at the prices required to be worth it.
Besides, on street cars, CF is cosmetic. A $700 hood to save 10-15 lbs is NOT a performance mod worth the cost unless ... "Race Car" ...
Cheaper to take out the spare tire and tools then buy a AAA membership, lol - Cheap weight lose ;-)

Think more like 2000 not 700. But its also more like 50 pounds not 10. Granted 50lbs is only like a 3hp gain

#27 BtownVolvo

BtownVolvo

Level 69 Member

• Gold Member
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

How would one go about attaching the CF roof anyway?

/ignorant

Reid | 1998 V70 T5
SpinFinalBanner.png

Spin Locks: Rebuilt S/V70 Door Lock Actuators | NEW: DIY Motors now available!

#28 T5Hammy

T5Hammy

Dick Sledge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

Shhhhhhhhh...talking to the OP.

I'll make you a single ply peg tire combo, I will offer a lifetime warranty as long as they are never touched, used, or removed from the 7,000 yards of bubble wrap they will be shipped in, but for you my friend I offer a low one time price of 7 million euro's per wheel/tire combo cash upfront (sorry no refunds).

Emblems or at least emblem caps that could be affixed with epoxy over the existing emblems or something.
or
Door cups (the ones that always crack / where the door handles are
or
Cluster trim (around the gauges)
Or
intake funnel that fits in the lower grille for

I like all of those because I should actually be able to pull those off, and they are easy to ship and reproduce!

Agreed, I have little intention of mass production for any large parts, but if someone wants something bad enough, and can make it worth the time financially, maybe I will make a couple to a handful for those people.
Posted Image
1998 s70 t5- auto :(, Stage 0, kw var 3, Ipd short ram, N/A TB from Snabb, FMIC 29x9x3, OBX exhaust, 18" Ipd pegs flat black, black projectors, aux tranny cooler.

#29 Che'_Moderator

Che'_Moderator

Monkey Master

• Admin
  • 24,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:22 AM

How would one go about attaching the CF roof anyway?

/ignorant

Same way you replace the OEM one. I will see if I have pics of the S60 Sans roof. If not I know I have pics of BMWs with roofs off.

#30 The Big Tuna

The Big Tuna

Captain Tow Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

Did you weigh before/after Roof panels? Just curious

Spence/855 T5-R W/RN Swap/SWC

018c3fd3-bc8f-4a05-833b-7104098b116d_zps

#31 Che'_Moderator

Che'_Moderator

Monkey Master

• Admin
  • 24,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Did you weigh before/after Roof panels? Just curious

I would guess about the same as a hood but the CG is way higher.

#32 White4Life

White4Life

swamp full of black russian driving boats to beat the ding dang

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

I'll make you a single ply peg tire combo, I will offer a lifetime warranty as long as they are never touched, used, or removed from the 7,000 yards of bubble wrap they will be shipped in, but for you my friend I offer a low one time price of 7 million euro's per wheel/tire combo cash upfront (sorry no refunds).

Will you throw in an R bumper? :lol:

#33 BtownVolvo

BtownVolvo

Level 69 Member

• Gold Member
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

Same way you replace the OEM one. I will see if I have pics of the S60 Sans roof. If not I know I have pics of BMWs with roofs off.

I was under the impression you weld it back on. I just read up on an Evo forum they used glue and rivits. That doesn't sound right to me...

Reid | 1998 V70 T5
SpinFinalBanner.png

#34 The Big Tuna

The Big Tuna

Captain Tow Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

I was under the impression you weld it back on. I just read up on an Evo forum they used glue and rivits. That doesn't sound right to me...

Yeah from what I've seen in the past, they drill out the spot welds, and just hand rivet it back in with adhesive. I've always kind of wanted to see how chuck did it, cause the jdm guys make it look sketchy as hell, but I old be missing something

#35 The Big Tuna

The Big Tuna

Captain Tow Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Course after reading through AMS's tech facts, they state that the roof is stronger after replacing it with the cf one. So I guess it's just more of a perception thing. Weighed saved on a evo 8 was 7 pounds difference btw

#36 Che'_Moderator

Che'_Moderator

Monkey Master

• Admin
  • 24,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

Glue and rivets works fine. Hell GM just uses glue :lol:

I doubt you even need those. You end up with a decent build up of glass and mud anyways.

#37 BtownVolvo

BtownVolvo

Level 69 Member

• Gold Member
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Course after reading through AMS's tech facts, they state that the roof is stronger after replacing it with the cf one. So I guess it's just more of a perception thing. Weighed saved on a evo 8 was 7 pounds difference btw

The thread I read said including the sunroof, it was 56 lbs.

Glue and rivets works fine. Hell GM just uses glue :lol:

I doubt you even need those. You end up with a decent build up of glass and mud anyways.

Really? Damn. Just seems like glue isn't near strong enough and rivets just make it janky...

Reid | 1998 V70 T5
SpinFinalBanner.png

#38 Che'_Moderator

Che'_Moderator

Monkey Master

• Admin
  • 24,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Really? Damn. Just seems like glue isn't near strong enough and rivets just make it janky...

Half your car is rivits and spot welds.

#39 MattyXXL

MattyXXL

Thought I had to dump out, turns out I didn't

• Gold Member
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I like all of those because I should actually be able to pull those off, and they are easy to ship and reproduce!

Soooo, does that mean..... never mind the question..... Make it happen!! :ph34r:

Now if you could do some 854 or 855 emblems, that would be awesome

1996 854 T-5 Modded, But who really Cares
1995 Yellow 854 T5-R Bone Stock!

http://www.floridavolvocommunity.com/

#40 The Big Tuna

The Big Tuna

Captain Tow Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

The one I saw didn't have a sunroof to begin with. I can for sure see how some roofs would be pretty damn heavy though with sunroof parts in it

Copyright 2013 Volvospeed