andyb5

Andy's 1999 V70 R

Its good to see a fellow Rhode Islander getting into the turbo world, its much better. The car looks great and im glad to see you taking care of all the maintenance first you will be glad you did. Let me know if you ever need a hand or a spare part I may have, im only in RI a few months out of the year but might be able to help some time. Good luck with the new R.

• Upvote 1

Looks good Andy, nice start, I didn't realize you just got the car. I also have rust issues with my driveshaft center carrier, I think they just get packed up with salty crap from the roads and rust away. I need to get a new one soon.

What are your plans for suspension? Cause you need to lower that ASAP! :P

Very Nice! It's the right color too!

Sucks about the oil pan, just shows you can never be too careful when working on it. The manifold banjo is much easier to address if you just unbolt the PS pump (3 easy to access bolts) & move it aside. Hopefully the JB will hold up over time. You may want to source a replacement oil pan now as a backup...

Sucks about the oil pan, just shows you can never be too careful when working on it. The manifold banjo is much easier to address if you just unbolt the PS pump (3 easy to access bolts) & move it aside. Hopefully the JB will hold up over time. You may want to source a replacement oil pan now as a backup...

Much, much, much easier.

no problem andy and H he has a oil waiting for him in my parts bin just in case he needs it i told him its only a temp fix but it seems like its been working great! but if needed i have the oil pan for cheap :)

we need to do a photo shoot sir!

Woot woot on the ride brah

Welcome to the V70R AWD club. As for lowering, you only have a couple of options and they are expensive. Ask EVL Wagn and lookforjoe about that. They are very well versed in that area. I'm still saving my pennies for that.

• Upvote 1

Its good to see a fellow Rhode Islander getting into the turbo world, its much better. The car looks great and im glad to see you taking care of all the maintenance first you will be glad you did. Let me know if you ever need a hand or a spare part I may have, im only in RI a few months out of the year but might be able to help some time. Good luck with the new R.

Thanks man, sounds good. I'm only in RI for the summer, I'm usually away at school in NY

Looks good Andy, nice start, I didn't realize you just got the car. I also have rust issues with my driveshaft center carrier, I think they just get packed up with salty crap from the roads and rust away. I need to get a new one soon.

What are your plans for suspension? Cause you need to lower that ASAP! :P

Apparently the original center carriers weren't galvanized, and replacement ones are, so it'll hold up much better. Be sure to replace yours before it breaks, boy did the sound scare the crap outta me! 

Very Nice! It's the right color too!

Thanks H. I'll be sure to remember that if I need to pull the intake mani again. And I plan on replacing the oil pan this summer when actually I have time to do it. Going to do oil pan o-rings, etc at the same time.

Fun platform to start with. Glad to see the important bits are functioning. Can't wait to see the progress.

Thanks!

no problem andy and H he has a oil waiting for him in my parts bin just in case he needs it i told him its only a temp fix but it seems like its been working great! but if needed i have the oil pan for cheap :)

we need to do a photo shoot sir!

Just saw your pics, S70 is lookin good. Like I said earlier, I'm planning on replacing the oil pan this summer, so you'll be hearing from me haha.

I'm definitely game for a photoshoot, I just need to actually wash my car :rolleyes:

Woot woot on the ride brah

Thanks!

Welcome to the V70R AWD club. As for lowering, you only have a couple of options and they are expensive. Ask EVL Wagn and lookforjoe about that. They are very well versed in that area. I'm still saving my pennies for that.

Thanks man! Oh yeah, I've been doing my research--nothing for these cars is cheap :dry:

Nice car and good job fixing it up. I think I can compete for "longest time to do pcv job on vs" - just ask my wife how long she couldn't drive the VR after I "bought it for her". But hey, while I was in there I cleaned everything else and replaced a lot of rotten wire loom.

Nice! I got the same color interior (mines not a R, and didnt know these model Rs came with blue face gauges), and had to overhaul the pcv as well. brittle as glass. lol

didnt know these model Rs came with blue face gauges

Easy upgrade. Keep checking the FS threads. When you find a R cluster, all you need to do is swap the gauge faces. I added the trim rings at the same time.

Easy upgrade. Keep checking the FS threads. When you find a R cluster, all you need to do is swap the gauge faces. I added the trim rings at the same time.

Easier to just swap the entire gauges from one cluster to the original - no messing with the faces & needles. Just transfer the trip computer to the R speedo

perfect time to add the trim rings

IMG_6578.jpg

Easier to just swap the entire gauges from one cluster to the original - no messing with the faces & needles.

I guess thats what I did too. Cause I don't remember fussing with the needles.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By galexie64
      Pulled from another site: "I am now the owner of a 1998 Volvo V70 AWD Pewter Silver/Light Taupe with 191k miles on it. This will be an ongoing project with plans to this becoming a daily driver. I purchased the car on Saturday January 21, 2017 for a whopping $250. The car will need a head gasket (milk shake oil), timing belt kit with water pump, PCV breather system, accessory belt, all coolant hoses, plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. Once I have the head removed I will be able to see if the car needs a head rebuild. The car also need some serious interior cleaning and a left front fender. The car came with good records that ended in about 2011. I'll be contacting the shop that did the more recent work and see if they can give me more info on the car. I'm wondering if the PCV and timing belt were actually done. The car has new brakes and shocks, no oil leaks, no rust, and a fairly clean looking motor. I do need to get an electric fan and replace all the vacuum lines."

I also picked up a set of ABM headlights with HID conversion for $100 from the guy.

I'm sitting at a total investment of $420 including the rental trailer. This should be a good project car.
      My first project was the interior. I started by vacuuming the carpets only to find out I had to pull the seats. After pulling the seats I found the center console needed to be pulled. After that I found I needed to pull the carpet to clean the pad. After that I found I needed to clean the metal pan. I don't know how anyone could keep their car this dirty. I'm not going to be able to save the carpet and I'm going to need to source a clean used carpet.

Under the rear seats:

Rear floor:

Under the driver's seat:

What the car looks like after:

After a whole ton of work and pulling stuff from the junk yard. I have a really nice clean interior.

• By quiksilver
      2x Kaplhenke 8" 350lb springs, came off of my 98 V70R and was used in conjunction with their perches.
      Some surface rust and chipped paint, but still solid.
      Selling because I went to 450lb springs.

• By LouisvilleR
      202,xxx miles
      I drive the car daily. Fun to drive, decent gas mileage, around 23/25 driving conservatively. 

I have some records from the previous owner (she bought it from her father in law nearly new and owned it up until I bought it about 3 years ago). I've done most maintenance myself since I've owned it. Reason for selling - I just bought a newer Camry as a daily driver and have another vehicle as well. Don't need 3 cars. Great first car or 5-speed learner.

The car was in a minor fender bender about 2 years ago, replaced front driver fender and bumper. You can see from the pictures. Plenty of road wear and bumps and scrapes in the paint as you'll see in the pictures. I can provide more interior pictures upon request. 

Maintenance I'd do if I was keeping it - 
      Rear interior door panels (dog damage)
      Rear seat (dog damage)
      Front Wheel Bearings - can hear passenger side 
      ETM 

Extras:
      IPD Rear Overload Springs
      Thule/Volvo Roof Rack
      Volvo fitted car cover
      Car has factory Volvo CD changer in the trunk. Not hooked up, no idea if it works, although I have no reason to assume that it doesn't.
      Tires are only about a year old
      *Thule racks will go with car, attachments (bike, kayak) have been removed. 

• By apeacock
      1999 V70 R - Needed a VS build thread.

Wagon is a Canadian, originally tested by a rental car company and thankfully for me was rejected. Purchased in 2012 I'm the third owner. Vehicle thad a full service history that would put other anal Volvo owners to shame.

Mods list run down

Suspension/Brakes:
      Ohlins Road holding kit Front - Rebuilt by PSI, Performance Shock Inc in California.
      Ohlins Road holding kit Rear 
      TME Awd Springs -
      IPD Front 25mm Sway bar
      IPD Rear Bar
      IPD Strut tower brace
      Solid-ish Top engine mount
      Poly Firewall Mount.
      Ceika 330mm large 6pot Front set  -Street Grey Pads
      Porsche 330mm 4pot rear brakes  - Textar Porsche 996 Pads
      Engine/Exhaust:
      Stev0 Tune running 20-24
      BW EFR 7064 Turbo Smart CBV and Dual port wastegate
      Snabb Reverse intercooler piping kit
      Custom Inlet tube mated to 3.5" maf housing
      VR exhaust manifold - Milled Flat to fit T3 Turbo
      Custom DP from Aaron
      Magnaflow rear mufflers
      Do88 intercooler -
      Do88 Rad

Wheels:
      Borbet LV5 with Bridgestone Potenzas.

Many thanks to Bmac,Steve, Hussein, and anyone else for answering the endless questions.

Day 01:
      Car came with its drive shaft pre-removed but included. 12 total wheels and tires, a brand new set of R mats in the volvo box, and a stack of service receipts totaling 26,000 CAD.

Purchased at 121,000 miles currently 152k on everything.

March 2014 - Acquired many nice parts through the winter. Met Bmac and got everything installed and then had Steve tune it the same evening. Long day but everything has held together like new since then.

Snabb kit was a oh yeah! to install, lower pipe need to sit just right to make it all work.

18" of space was nice but we almost needed more.

Clamshell was not surprisingly rusted closed.

ugly ugly welds but it went in perfectly. Did require cutting the old downpipe to clear the angle gear.

Bens BIG turbo

Manifold and turbo and exhaust removed.

Nice new nuts and reused the washers.

Huge difference in design.

Sway bars are such a nice improvement on this car
      Reused a front bar from VS, rear can be had new without buying the set (just ask)

Practice Safe Turboing

May '14

Tint and Clear Bra - No surprise it doesn't show up in pictures. The Tint Shop of Rochester NY did a great job. Happy to protect the newly painted front end. (barely visible below)

'Winning' Only two volvos that weekend so I can't be too happy.

Summer 2014
      Fitting some poly bushings to rattle my fillings out.

Sticker from the EST customer bbq day

Nice little paint job under the hood

Nothing Special but it does the job

March 2015
      Prep the Front shocks for service
      Found a guide form what what i can't believe is 10 years ago. Thankfully the pictures are still up http://v70r.com/forums/topic/1667-ohlins-strutspring-install/
      Had to get a offset box wrench but it was really the only tool for the job.

Rear set still brand new in box. Really excited to get this all in and be on the road

Not sure if VS works this way but Saving this space for suspension and brakes when they go on.

• By andyb5
      Here's the story behind my new-to-me 2000 V70 R. Its gonna be a long post, and picture heavy too!
      This thread will serve as a continuation of sorts of my 1999 V70 R build, which can be read here:

The conclusion to that thread will come later this summer, as I will be pulling all the modifications of my 99 R, and transferring them to the 00 R.  Now, onto the details of my new Venetian Red 00 R!
      My friend sent me the for sale ad on Facebook:
      For Sale Listing by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Here's a couple of the photos from the listing:
      17620467_10154494181870784_372010645993208356_o by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      17620464_10154494182335784_8636334155269544591_o by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      After spending a few weeks negotiating with the seller, I bought a one way flight to Denver, packed some tools in my bag (I did, however, forgot to pack underwear ) and went to visit some friends before picking up a car and driving it 1900 miles across the country back to New York!!!
      I landed in Denver Friday evening (May 12) in the early evening.  While there, I got to check out the murals of the Denver Airport, and see all the other bits that are the basis for a long list of conspiracy theories.
      CD0E037B-3E37-400C-BC65-3B9EEC99E46C_zpsdkk1xhqi by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Here's how it sat when I picked it up from the seller at a shopping center a short walk from my friends apartment.
      3E085BA8-179C-44A1-8A2E-76D24AD52A83_zpspm5hoheq by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Shortly after taking delivery of my R, I went on a hike in up Golden with my friends.  The views were stunning to say the least.
      F107866E-885F-458D-96B5-147A206A9910_zpsdidwlu9z by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      2A293BF9-680B-4616-89D8-9C09AEC26E18_zpsnz8uztbw by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      After lots of fun touring around the Denver area on Saturday, I packed my stuff into the car and started driving back to NY on Sunday morning (May 14th) with plans to stop at my friend's place in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  Here are some photos from the drive Sunday.  Nebraska was wide open, flat, and very easy to drive through:
      DSC_0429 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Panorama by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Drove through miles of turbines in Iowa (despite the picture being of a singular turbine).  There's a Don Quixote joke here somewhere....
      DSC_0438 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Cruising towards Cedar Falls, Iowa and got to watch the sun set
      DSC_0439 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      DSC_0443 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Sunday's drive was about 800 miles, which took about 12 hours, and the drive home was off to a great, relatively easy start.
      Here's how my car sat outside my buddy's place in Iowa on Monday morning
      2F90F4FD-E9DC-497D-83FF-2EDEAC70CDA8_zpshxorvcge by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      When I left Iowa Monday morning, my destination was headed to Anthony's (@apeacock) house near Buffalo, NY.  Monday held about 850 miles of driving, which was about 13 hours of driving.
      Stopped for gas in PA.  I had a hard time with card reader on the pumps though....
      DSC_0465 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Made it to Anthony's around 10pm, did a quick test drive, and immediately face-planted into the extremely comfortable bed in Anthony's guest room.
      Monday morning before I left his house, Anthony took a cool photo of my wagon with his two wagons (99 R and 00 XC) 
      AD9C4A8B-E5B0-485A-B77C-B0D08D8FB43C_zpsfg13jvwc by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Made good time on my way back to Troy on Tuesday morning - at this point, 300 miles seemed like a short drive to me   I got to enjoy some really nice views in the mountains in western NY:
      DSC_0473 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Here's how the odometer when I made it home:
       568CF71D-B94C-4185-A996-1F446C56BBEA_zpsywubvime by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      The entire trip was 1960 miles, and I managed an average of 26.8 mpg at an average speed of 70 mph.  All of this was calculated from the trip computer. 
      And here's how my two wagons sat when I got the office on Tuesday at noon:
      B3A2735B-B3FE-43FF-967C-25719CF8F975_zpsu4wuhzaa by Andy Buresh, on Flickr
      Earlier tonight I got it registered in NY, so now the build can begin.  Stay tuned, this should be a fun project and I'm very excited to get working on it