Sign in to follow this  
tuner4life

Tuner4Life's 1998 Saffron C70 Progress Thread

This finally happened:

2013-06-10073336_zps463cdfee.jpg

Finally got around to installing the Kenwood DDX-470 that I have had for several months. It was a chore figuring out how to make it work with the SC-901 wiring, but I (with some assistance) got it done over the weekend. Wow! Just Wow!! I love this thing! It is easy to use and sounds better than the stock SC-901 even using the same speakers and no amp. Ghost shadow was totally right, compared to this, the SC-901 sucks. I would never go back!

yea ive got a similar model and night and day difference! amazing radio

Haven't done much to this car since the last update. Just washing it and driving it. Maybe I'll do an exhaust next spring...

Anyways, I was following the wife the other day and was able to get a couple decent rollers..

2013-09-17181708_zpsfbb9f71e.jpg

2013-09-17181611_zps28e5a728.jpg

That's all.

yea ive got a similar model and night and day difference! amazing radio

Indeed, it's amazing how much difference just a modern head unit can make. I don't know what I'd do without my pioneer, SC-816s make me want to strangle puppies.

The only gripe I have with the head unit is that I have too much music on my USB drive and it will only play up to a certain number of folders.. I think this cuts off my music somewhere in the "R"s. Not really an issue as I just divide the alphabet in half and put it on 2 sticks and rotate them occasionally. that and I have a "strictly best of everything" USB stick with only my absolute favorites on it.

I was thinking about getting one of the new wifi accessible thumbdrives and editting it from my computer at home, but I don't think I park close enough for it to work. Just an idea for you.

The only gripe I have with the head unit is that I have too much music on my USB drive and it will only play up to a certain number of folders.. I think this cuts off my music somewhere in the "R"s.

Just rename all the songs that start with R and beyond to begin with an A...problem solved. :ph34r:

Car is now in storage for the winter.

2013-10-27164013_zps9d5a6845.jpg

There are a few things I will have to tinker with when it gets out in the spring, but shouldn't be too much.

-Taillights are still having issues. I suspect that the circuit boards are bad because fiddling with them fixed the problems for a short time before they come back. I'll try to track down new boards over the winter.

-Steering wheel is nasty, I'd like to track down a wheel with the wood inlay. the very dark walnut? I think? Idk.

-Need to hook up a sub/amp.

-Needs an exhaust soon.

-Other Misc piddly crap..

Either way, It's cozy now and out of the weather for the winter.

Brought it home from storage (about 10 min drive). I miss driving this car!

Seeing it's first light since November...

IMG_20140311_172635070_zps2wuiex3n.jpg

IMG_20140311_172646665_zpsz6siwtlc.jpg

IMG_20140311_172657854_zpswiljqrmm.jpg

And here it sits at home being prepped for summer:

IMG_20140311_195949962_zpsskikzpzr.jpg

Done so far:

-Plates/tags updated

-All fluids checked, topped off as needed

-Taillight circuit boards changed

Still to do before summer:

-Pull intake manifold and upgrade PCV hose per MVS

-Replace worn out steering wheel (have one coming)

-roll rear fenders slightly

-Maybe screw with trying to fix headlight wipers..

-Maybe add sub and amp I have in the basement... Maybe...

Edited by tuner4life
  • Upvote 1

Got the intake manifold off to upgrade the pcv line to 5/8 heater hose and found that any rubber in the system that was from URO was cracked and broken.. It was only 2 years old.. WTF!?!? It's ok, most of it is going in the trash.. Also found an injector o-ring that was leaking and the intake flex tube was cracked..

Lots to do...

Don't have any pictures, but got the pcv hose upgraded to the 5/8 hose, but I am still having smoke from the dipstick after long trips.. Not very much, and there isn't much pressure, but I thought that the 5/8 hose would make it go away.. Any Ideas?

On a slightly different note, that intake looks great and it runs awesome now! I wonder how long my old intake hose had been split..