A Couple Of Strange Noises From Serp Belt, And Under Foot/floor Driver's Side.

First sound is somewhat straight forward. I hear it coming from the serpentine belt area. The tensioner moves a little, like rattling in place(not the sound). The sound sounds like a dull whine/whirr. Happens when cold and warm. My guess is that bearings are going somewhere. The belt was replaced a year ago, belt looks rather worn. I don't think I could have put it on too tight since the tensioner does it automatically.

Second issue is harder to diagnose and worries me a little more. When I start my car and drive, I hear a sound coming from below my feet on the drivers side. It's accompanied by a corresponding feeling on the floor. It is a very dull grind/very dull scraping sound,and can feel it in my feet(slight vibration). Could this be a problem with my transmission? What can I look for? My ABS/Tracs light is on, and I had the drivers side axle replaced a few months ago. The noise is much less noticible than the sound of bad CV joint. I only notice it when I start the car, feels like its connected to my accelerating.

I don't think i can post a video of the sound as it's very subtle, but I can try.

As for the first problem, I would pull your serp belt and spin all the bearings, if there is any resistance, or any abnormal noise, replace those bearings! And the second problem i have seen a million times. There could be several problems. Ball joint, causing tire to poke and resist against the other tire. Wheel bearing, obviously causing a shake, and the last is the axle, alot of times if its torqued incorrectly it will cause a grind and vibration.

As for the first problem, I would pull your serp belt and spin all the bearings, if there is any resistance, or any abnormal noise, replace those bearings! And the second problem i have seen a million times. There could be several problems. Ball joint, causing tire to poke and resist against the other tire. Wheel bearing, obviously causing a shake, and the last is the axle, alot of times if its torqued incorrectly it will cause a grind and vibration.

The second thing only happens when the car is started for the first time in a day. I was worried it could be the transmission/torque converter so as long as it's not that I can feel good. Although it would give me a reason to do the manual swap...

Archived