Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gmsgltr

Quaife Or Gripper Lsd For My M56H Swap - New Wanted -

Needs to be new... I don't care if it has 4 miles on it lol...

Let me know if you have one or had one and where you got and what you think!

Seems like people are trending towards the Gripper but I am not exactly sure why...

Thanks in advance,

Greg

I bought my Quaife HERE. Seems to be fine for my power level, but I've heard of a couple that have let loose on cars with more power. I still get a lot of wheelspin at the track, but I think has more to do with my tires and my inability to drive :)

I bought my Quaife HERE. Seems to be fine for my power level, but I've heard of a couple that have let loose on cars with more power. I still get a lot of wheelspin at the track, but I think has more to do with my tires and my inability to drive :)

Thanks, $1K isnt too bad... but if a Gripper supposedly holds more power then that answers my concerns... Idea is to build the trans up right, once... then do the motor in a year or two :)

here's some info for you Greg

The difference between the gripper and the quaife is the gripper is a clutch type diff and the quaife is a gear type "or torsen"

The Clutch type diffs work based on wheel speed, after one wheel spins x% faster then the other it starts locking up to slow down the fast wheel and speed up the slow wheel.

The torsen type diffs work based on torque sensing or resistance. If one wheel is making better grip then the other it will (not being spun) it will try to transfer power to that one. The main problem with the a torsen style diff is if one wheel becomes totally unloaded (in the air or on ice) it won't transfer power to the wheel with traction.

Clutch diffs have clutch packs that will eventually need to be serviced because they are a wear item. Torsens just use gears to transfer the power, when the torsen wears out theres nothing to replace besides the diff.

RSI has been sourcing some nice Gripper's lately, you might check with them to see what they have.

http://yhst-26451710...lisldiform.html

I have! :ph34r: They have been great via email... its still $1200... just testing the waters and trying to do some research on the quaife versus gripper... leaning towards gripper atm

because the gripper will need to be serviced, and is more of a track ready set up, I have leaned more towards the quaife at the moment... i am still reading threads and threads on this lol with an open mind but im 70/30 at the moment quaife haha

anybody?

before i buy an expensive one lol

admittedly this Gripper is from a high BHP car, but problems aren't uncommon

424930_3115406997484_510979102_n.jpg

anybody?

before i buy an expensive one lol

Don't let that pic scare you away from the Gripper. I know of a broken quaife @ a 300whp level.

I just bought a gripper and drove a car with both. I feel that the gripper provides better traction all around.

Don't let that pic scare you away from the Gripper. I know of a broken quaife @ a 300whp level.

I just bought a gripper and drove a car with both. I feel that the gripper provides better traction all around.

just like, "with a built motor you wont bend rods..." lol. im aware and appreciate the comments :) i have a decent lead on a quaife and the quaife doest need servicing, unless it breaks :)

A Gripper is rebuildable if you do grenade it, but you can't service a Quaife at all. If you do want a Quaife, I'm pretty sure that Joseph Essaye is still a dealer and can hook VS members up..