Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpt2001

Auto Transmission Adaptation How To

6 posts in this topic

So my transmission has had some shift flare lately, not nearly to the extent as when I got the car but it shows up now and then. I've flushed twice, once with seafoam, and the fluid looks fine. I also replaced the B4 Servo Cover, and the first 10 minutes with that it was the smoothest shifting car I've ever felt. So now I'd like to try reseting it for an adaptation, but I really don't want to bring it into the stealership. Is there any way to do this without the vida/dice stuff? If not, what else could I do with vida that would make it worth getting to use more than once. Thanks

I have had my car for over a year, and just finally realized how much an automatic transmission adaptation helps.

"Subject:- Adaptation procedure

Model & year:- 2001 S60, V70, V70 XC

Description: This transmission relies on adaptive data to properly adjust the shift pressure. If the adaptation is not complete, it may result in one or more of the following:

• Harsh flare. Engine RPM will increase during a shift. This symptom feel like the transmission has lost drive. It usually happens during the 2-3 shift.
• Harsh down shift. Bumpy down shift when the gas pedal is odd (Zero).
• Harsh Garage shift. Sever bump when engaging forward or reverse from park or neutral.
• Harsh engagement control. After coming to a complete stop in drive, with the foot on the brake, the TCM waits for 2 seconds and then disengages drive to reduce emissions. This disengagement is not usually felt by the driver. If adaptation is not complete, then a “thud” will be felt. A harsh re-engagement will also be felt.

Service. The TCM can sometimes take many miles to fully adapt. If you do not have access to the factory tester or Volvo VADIS, then you might try the following.

1. Drive the car forward in the “D” range at about 5 mph (8kph) and bring to a gentle stop. Repeat this procedure at least 10 times.
2. With the engine at idle and your foot on the brake, shift from “N” to “D”. Wait for about 30 seconds. Release the brake. Repeat this procedure for 10 cycles.

If the above does not cure the fault, you will need to get access to a factory tester to reset the adaptation. Remember though that the TCM is constantly updating so not every shift will be the same."

Not sure if that will work on your car, but I say give it a try!

Really if you want the adaptation reset you have to go to a Volvo tech or the dealership.

The test is correct but you need to clear the adaptionsfirst for that drive cycle to reset them

I was under the impression that the transmission is always adapting.

I was under the impression that the transmission is always adapting.

It should be, but sometimes it needs to be told to forget something.

• Similar Content

• By Camio_Fox500
      SOLD
      Sadly I have to let go of my swap kit as I am moving and can't take it with me. I have a M56H that I pulled from a 1998 V70 with roughly 150K on it. I have the whole swap kit other than the clutch and the flywheel. It will include the transmission, all the hard lines, the pedal assembly, the shifter assembly, the shifter cables, and other related parts. SOLD. I am in Augusta GA. I will not ship but can travel a reasonable distance to meet with someone. I can get more pictures upon request.

• By The_Yamsman
      Hello, I am preparing to start an engine swap on my 1998 v70 manual. The donor car is a 18998 v70 T5 awd auto and i was wondering if the ECU from the donor car would work in the manual car. Also any pointers/must do's in the actual swap?
    • By Mr Foogie
      I recently finished swapping out the transmission for my s80 t6 after it ripped through the old one 😑. After sitting for some time the ETM failed, so I sent it out for a rebuild. Works well other than on startup for the most part. It takes on average about two or three times cranking it for about three or four seconds apiece. I don't smell raw fuel or anything in the exhaust, so I don't believe it's flooding itself. The tach jumps around erratically when starting though which is suspect to me.
      It didn't have either of these issues before the tranny swap as far as I can remember. In my own research I found some people cited the tach jumping on startup can be caused my missing or corroded ground wires, but I've checked all the ones I know of - there are three underneath the fuse box that look in decent shape, one under the airbox that's good as well, and three on the passenger side of the car by the antifreeze reservoir. I didn't do work on the rear of the car so I can't see there being issues with the ones coming off the negative of the battery terminal. I heard of one going from the engine block to the tranny but can't find it. Could anyone provide a picture or description of where it is? I might also be barking up the wrong tree with this grounding thing. It's the only thing I can think of though.
      I scanned it and it has codes p0157 (O2 sensor circuit low voltage bank 2 sensor 2), p0455 evap emissions gross leak, p1113 (ambient air temp sensor), and p1332 (knock sensor). The ambient air temp code is caused by my drivers sode mirror having the wrong plug - the guy I got the car from ordered the wrong mirror. The other three codes clear though but return slowly after a bit of driving. I really don't think I have a gross emissions leak, but I haven't done a smoke test or anything so I suppose I can't rule that out. 
      Kyle
    • By br-549
      Hello,
      I have a line on a V70 XC in clean shape that needs a tranny.   I have read all over the place about the issues with that vintage.   I also have a line on a 2004 FWD from an S60.   Can I use a FWD trans by bolting on the AWD parts and make it an AWD trans?   Can I convert a 2001 XC to FWD if I install the 2004 FWD trans?   Is the 2004 trans compatible with the 2001?   I have the computer for the 2004.   What else will I need?  I thought I had seen pictures a while back but cannot find the threads.  I do not want to take on the project unless there is some hope it can work.
      Thanks,
      B-
      '03 S60, 175K miles
    • By Rodrigo molina
      Alright so my moms been driving this Volvo and I don't know when was the last time she got her transmission fluids changed, the check engine light came on and the panel says transmission service required, and now I have a slipping transmission, I checked the fluid and it's really dark, I was wondering if anyone knew how much fluid does the transmission hold? It's a 2004 s60 2.5t, with a AW55-50. I'm 16 and it's my first car and I love this thing, I just want to fix this ASAP, thanks for your help