This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auto Transmission Adaptation How To

6 posts in this topic

So my transmission has had some shift flare lately, not nearly to the extent as when I got the car but it shows up now and then. I've flushed twice, once with seafoam, and the fluid looks fine. I also replaced the B4 Servo Cover, and the first 10 minutes with that it was the smoothest shifting car I've ever felt. So now I'd like to try reseting it for an adaptation, but I really don't want to bring it into the stealership. Is there any way to do this without the vida/dice stuff? If not, what else could I do with vida that would make it worth getting to use more than once. Thanks

I have had my car for over a year, and just finally realized how much an automatic transmission adaptation helps.

"Subject:- Adaptation procedure

Model & year:- 2001 S60, V70, V70 XC

Description: This transmission relies on adaptive data to properly adjust the shift pressure. If the adaptation is not complete, it may result in one or more of the following:

• Harsh flare. Engine RPM will increase during a shift. This symptom feel like the transmission has lost drive. It usually happens during the 2-3 shift.
• Harsh down shift. Bumpy down shift when the gas pedal is odd (Zero).
• Harsh Garage shift. Sever bump when engaging forward or reverse from park or neutral.
• Harsh engagement control. After coming to a complete stop in drive, with the foot on the brake, the TCM waits for 2 seconds and then disengages drive to reduce emissions. This disengagement is not usually felt by the driver. If adaptation is not complete, then a “thud” will be felt. A harsh re-engagement will also be felt.

Service. The TCM can sometimes take many miles to fully adapt. If you do not have access to the factory tester or Volvo VADIS, then you might try the following.

1. Drive the car forward in the “D” range at about 5 mph (8kph) and bring to a gentle stop. Repeat this procedure at least 10 times.
2. With the engine at idle and your foot on the brake, shift from “N” to “D”. Wait for about 30 seconds. Release the brake. Repeat this procedure for 10 cycles.

If the above does not cure the fault, you will need to get access to a factory tester to reset the adaptation. Remember though that the TCM is constantly updating so not every shift will be the same."

Not sure if that will work on your car, but I say give it a try!

Really if you want the adaptation reset you have to go to a Volvo tech or the dealership.

The test is correct but you need to clear the adaptionsfirst for that drive cycle to reset them

I was under the impression that the transmission is always adapting.

I was under the impression that the transmission is always adapting.

It should be, but sometimes it needs to be told to forget something.

• Similar Content

• transmission on 05 v70 2.4L S6 engine
      By mrpriceisright
      Have an 05 v70 fwd non turbo 2.4L with S6 (cal emissions) engine.   The transmission is having  the typical problems of very hard or downshift slipping upshift 3->2 and 2->1  when warm,  most noticeably on slowing down.  It seems this may be fixable with a valve body, but I was planning on putting in a used transmission .

My question is about the vin 64 / b5244s6 cal emissions transmission  vs the S / vin 61 transmission.
      when I look up the part online,  I can find transmissions for both the S and S6 (vin64) versions of the engine.  As I understand it the cal emissions version of the engine has VVT.   
      My question is why the transmission would be different in the S6 variant and whether the vin 61 transmission would be compatible?
      I am having a hard time understanding why the ASIN 55-50 transmission would be different in the two variants, since I would expect the engine performance should be about the same ? 
      Does anyone have direct experience or can shed some light on this.    I've read lots of posts here about transmission issues,  but didnt see this mentioned.
    • M56 - Internal / External Woes
      By bob82pigdog
      I'm in the middle of having a shop replace my clutch with a SPEC stage 2 (part # SO132) for a 1998 pre VIN break single mass flywheel car. While they are at it I asked them to re-install a more fresh M56 from a 98 S70 internal slave car instead of my old transmission which has a bad 2nd gear. Basically they are converting my factory single mass flywheel external slave car to an internal slave car. They just called today and said it's all back together but the car won't go into gear. Frick.

They said they bled the line twice and it looks fine and that the clutch pedal feels fine as well. They think I ordered the wrong parts because they say since the transmission is from a post VIN break car it needs a post VIN break clutch and pressure plate. I tried to convinced them that what matters is the clutch and pressure plate need to match the corresponding flywheel style and that the transmission itself doesn't matter. I told them plenty of people have swapped their dual mass flywheels to singles still using the internal slave.

Last week I gave them the newer transmission with a new internal slave/ throw out bearing installed and a new clutch line for the internal slave cars. I kept the same clutch master cylinder installed since I couldn't find evidence that it needed to be changed for the internal slave swap. Many people with factory dual mass flywheels and internal slaves have successfully swapped to single mass flywheels and a corresponding SMF clutch. But, as far as I know, the only thing different between my car and one of those newer swapped cars at this point is the clutch master cylinder. There are 2 part numbers for them based on the VIN breaks and they look slightly different. My theory is that the older style clutch master isn't supplying enough pressure or displacing enough fluid to move the throw out bearing into the pressure plate fingers, thus keeping it from going into gear. I'm thinking if I have them swap on the newer style clutch master I might be OK. How does that theory sound?

After I installed the Quaife and resealed the case, I turned the input shaft and shifted through all the gears. Everything felt fine. If it's not going into gear it's gotta be something with the slave/ throw out not traveling enough, right? What else could keep it from getting into gear? Could anything be going on with the shift cables maybe? I'm going to stop by the shop first thing in the morning and see if I can see what the TOB is doing by peeling back the dust cover where the clutch line goes into the transmission case. Depending on what I can see with the TOB, I might try shifting with the levers on top of the transmission to see if it will go in gear. Let me know what ideas you have!

See different clutch master cylinders here:

• Blown Tranny? I Sure Hope Not.....
      By SVTGuy02
      So.... I was driving today... car drove perfectly, I emphasize perfectly. Went into gear nice, engaged perfectly... engine runs perfect etc etc, a normal running 1997 Volvo 850 AWD 5-spd (M58)

Was at a red light and it went green. I didn't quite peel out and boost the hell out of the guy next to me... but I did a harder than normal launch/acceleration. Clutch pedal in, put it in first.... start transitioning out on the clutch pedal and start moving. Get halfway through the intersection and something POPS and the engine is reving high now.... and I'm rolling. It's as IF I'm in neutral, but the car is in 1st gear with the clutch pedal ALL the way out. Thoughts??

I rolled to a stop on the side of the road safely (thankfully)..... I put it in first gear, let up the clutch pedal..... engine revs as if I'm in neutral. All gears are the same (1-5 and R). When I put it in first gear and let up on the clutch pedal, it sounds like marbles/gravel in the transmission. When its not in gear (as per the shift lever) there are no sounds. The shift linkage cables are on and tight and they move the gears on the transmission.

On a downhill, putting it in Reverse and letting up on the clutch pedal.... the car rolls forward as if its in neutral. Seems the transmission is stuck with clutch disengaged from flywheel.....

I recently rebuilt this car..... new R clutch...... new pressure plate..... machined flywheel.... (you're all going to flame me now) reused the throwout bearing. I see alot of guys talking about the TOB failing. Do you think that my TOB failed, causing the springs on the pressure plate to not be able to retract thus permanently dis-engaging the clutch? I hope to God the transmission is fine...... its an M58 and probably near impossible to find from a 1997 AWD 5spd model

Thoughts, Suggestions, ANYTHING please! Another thing to mention, when the tow truck driver lifted the car and put it on an angle...... fluid was leaking out in a steady stream. I just recently put some Redline in it... it did not look to be leaking from the fill/drain plugs..... and it was pretty dark for 2-3 weeks old I hope she's okay ....Where would YOU start??
    • Reading Abs Codes On 97 850 Awd
      By Caffiend
      I need to get a code reader to help me track down various issues, the most vexing of which is my ABS and TRACS shutting off every so often after I feel the system test itself brief vibration on brake pedal). I know that the ABS module tends to fail on these cars but the fact that it happens inconsistently and always after a test cycle seems to say that it's a problem with one of the wheel sensors and I'd like to figure out which.

I've done a bunch of searches and have basically come up with an overwhelmingly confusing amount of information and alphabet soup on DiCE, VIDA, VADIS and whatever else. I'm not sure what would even work with my car. AFAIK most generic OBDII readers won't handle Volvo ABS codes, which leaves me looking for something Volvo specific hopefully without spending much more than $200. I really like the idea of VIDA, but would it even work with a car as old as mine?

If it helps, I have a Macbook running OSX 10.9.4 and a 6 year old HP with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks for the help, it's been really confusing trying to sort through all this!
    • Shifter Working Without Key, And Door Chime Without Key
      By MGV
      Hey folks,
      Just had to get the drivers side CV axle, struts, and sway bars replaced on a 1999 S70 - non turbo, automatic.
      1) Now I am having issues with the key turning, and coming out (sometimes it is stuck in the ignition). Was thinking it was the gear shift knob, and almost broke my nose when removing it, but it still looks alright.
      2) Also, with the key in my pocket and NO foot on the brake, I can run through all the gears.
      3) And the door chimes when opened whether or not a key is in the ignition. I also noticed when I shut the door, it sounds like the door lock solenoid makes a noise for a quick second.

I tried disconnecting the negative cable for a 1/2 hour to see if it was electronic issue, but no change.

Just checking to see if someone can help me figure this out. It all seemed to happen right after the CV replacement. Not sure if it could even be related.