2000 V70R Motor And Manual Swap Options And Info

Blackshadow

I picked this Laser Blue 2000 V70R up last weekend with the intent to use it for parts, but after seeing it in person I have changed my mind. The body is in great shape, the interior is good but needs cleaning. The motor, trans and rad are shot. Bevel gear isn't even in the car.

photo4-5.jpg

I told myself that if I was going to fix it, it would not be automatic. I'm starting this thread to gather information and discuss what needs to be done to convert ME7 (at least early ME7) to manual.

This is what I have so far..

ECU: Lucky said he can take care of it. Basically loading a manual tune with the necessary perameters that mates it to the car.

Wiring: Looking at the wiring diagram there are a few things that need to be changed.

- Clutch pedal sensor needs to be added and I will need to source 99-00 pedal assembly. I would assume the wires don't even exist in the auto harness. Looks like Green/white wire to #B15 might have to be added at the ECU?

- Wires from TCM #B1(green) and #B13(white) will have to be jumpered directly to the CDM as shown in the diagram.

- Reverse wires will need to be run from the trans switch. Colors still need to be determined.

Finally, I would assume 4/22 is the immobilizer and with the TCM removed, the white wire should not need to be altered?

ME7.jpg

Now for some hardware options.

I would like to keep AWD so either M58 or M66. M66 being the more expensive option with a few more modifications to things like the shifter bracket, subframe mount etc.. I'm going to leave it at that for now.

Motor is something I really want to discuss. 00R motors aren't all that common, I only fouind 3 listed in the US with high miles and none in Canada. That said, I don't see there being an issue using a different RN motor as long as it only has VVT on the exhaust cam.

That gives me the following options.. taken from the RN motor thread.

1999-2000

99 2.3 T5 Single VVT

99 2.4 LPT Single VVT

00 2.4 R Single VVT

2001-2004

2001-2004 2.3 T5 Single VVT

2001-2004 2.4 LPT Single VVT

I don't think there would be an issue running an lpt motor or one with different rod length with the 00R software? I know a lot of people like the low end on the lpt motors and they should handle the 19T on mabe 15psi? I don't want to open the motor, I just want to find a good low milage one and drop it in.

Thoughts? comments? Anyone who has experiece with ME7 and RN motors please chime in!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Aaron down in Texas try to make this happen with another Laser R and they were never able to quite get the tune working properly? I wasn't aware Lucky had fully solved this problem.

You should contact Nick with the '00 Laser Blue with M66 conversion. He spent a lot of money trying to get IPD (MTE) tune to work perfectly, but had lots of issues. He hasn't been around for a while so I don't know if he's ever got it figued out and on the road, but when he does it will be the nicest Laser Blue in the USA. He's on VS and V70R.com with a full write up about it.

From what Jeff (Volvo5.0) told the '00 LPT 2.4 is the same as the HPT except with lower compression pistons... I had always heard the '00R was some built motor but I guess not... He has a '00 LPT 2.4 RN block with '00R pistons on I-beam rods. Any RN motor after '00 will work it just depends on what boost level you have it tuned for. You want to stay away from the '99 as some of those have the older heads IIRC. But '00+ you are OK, I think optimum year would be '02+.

Didn't Aaron down in Texas try to make this happen with another Laser R and they were never able to quite get the tune working properly? I wasn't aware Lucky had fully solved this problem.

Going OT here a bit, sorry OP!

I asked Nick (94850tx) about his R a year or so ago. His problem with the MTE/IPD tune has been 1) boost management problems; he was having a hard time getting full boost, and 2) getting Marco at MTE to adjust the tune to maximize Nick's modifications (Racefab intake manifold, 3" exhaust, etc.) At no point has the car ever been unsafe to drive, and Nick says the tune will be fine for cars that are close to stock. Heck, Nick did put down over 300 awhp on that tune at only 13psi.

Nick is actually driving his car when he can, but plans to get it re-tuned by Lucky in the future.

Aaron actually drives the car at least once per week. I get to Houston when I can (very busy with work) and drive it. IPD keeps telling us to check the wastegate and blah blah blah....they actually asked if the car had a MBC a week ago...lol it's a 2000 no MBC DUH! The bottom line is they've never retuned for the intake and exhaust, it's just an out of the box stage 3 stick tune. Max WHP? No idea because it has 40+/- swings in the curv pulling timing and boost, should do over 300whp- we are right there now with just an OK tune and hardly hitting 13psi.

I'll talk to lucky and see what he's got. I've got around $1200 invested with the IPD stuff right now so I would prefer for that to work but if it won't it won't and I'll just have to scrap it if I want a better tune.

Not with IPD. I've given up with them. The car is plenty fast as it is and runs good so I am going to run it as is until after my big road trip to St Louis for the VCOA national meet and return home to Texas on hot rod power tour. I will then have Lucky retune the car this fall. I'm just too busy with work right now to justify trying anything new prior to the meets. I really only have about 2 weeks of free time prior to then so I don't want to do anything that might prevent me from making those events

Now, a bit more back on topic....

When I spoke to Lucky about it, he said he can tune for ME7 manual swaps no problem. At that point in time, I was about to buy a 99 T5M wiring harness in order to eventually M66 swap my car. Here is the gist of our PM on the subject:

Hi Lucky,

I eventually plan to M66 swap my 99 R. Am I correct in assuming that the installation of a wiring harness from a 99 T5M should allow cruise control, etc. to maintain stock functionality if you tune/clone a manual ECU to work with my stock immobilizer and ignition cylinder?

Thanks!

Andy

Andy,

That is correct sir! It's actually pretty easy on the 99-00 models relative to the later model cars. In fact I'm not sure I'd even swap the harness as all you'll need to add is a clutch switch.

-Lucky

I wouldn't say that the M58 is necessarily the cheaper option. If you manage to find one in Canada that is well-priced then it's not too bad but if you have to go to Europe to get one then the prices will be very high to start with, the shipping will be pretty high and most will require that you make your own shipping arrangements and deal with the customs issues. At that point it may be just as cheap to go with an M66.

I have two local M58s available to me for decent prices and still have one in the garage for my 98R that i'm not sure what to do with now. Looking through Juan's thread on V70R.com, nowhere did he or Aaron mention adding the clutch switch. I did send Juan a PM but haven't heard back. I did also send Nick a PM but he hasn't been on in VS in a while. Any input on what would be a good motor to go with?

I would suggest the M66 and highly recommend it. Also... with all you're looking at swapping... maybe it makes more sense to swap everything from a 98 and make it cable driven again. You would probably need to keep the bevel gear from a 99-00, though.

Might I suggest the use of an M66C, from a V50. From that, I used the V50 shifter assembly and cables, and it works out beautifully. Little to no modification required, really.

Either way... grats on picking up a beautiful car!!! :)

I would suggest the M66 and highly recommend it. Also... with all you're looking at swapping... maybe it makes more sense to swap everything from a 98 and make it cable driven again. You would probably need to keep the bevel gear from a 99-00, though.

That would require converting backwards to M4.4, or using a standalone EMS and ditching Motronic entirely.

Based on the way ME7 interprets throttle position--pressing the gas pedal requests a % of total available torque, which then opens the TB enough to deliver the requested torque--there isn't a linear relationship between gas pedal position and TB position like there is with a wired throttle. I spent some time investigating if this was possible :D

maybe it makes more sense to swap everything from a 98 and make it cable driven again. You would probably need to keep the bevel gear from a 99-00, though.

If you found a good '98 you could replace everything you needed to make it work, Hussein did a great writeup on the different AWD components here on V70R.

That would require converting backwards to M4.4, or using a standalone EMS and ditching Motronic entirely.

Justin swapped his ECU to M4.4 with his P2 xc that he converted to manual. IIRC he ran into a lot of issues, he also had a '00 c70 vert that he was swapping but ended up abandoning the project.

It just seems like a lot of work for an older ECU system. Stand alone might be the best solution if you can go with it.

OP, you'll need different axles, the axles for a 00 5A won't work with the M58/66. Check the V70R thread Neu linked in his post above mine for a detailed explanation with pictures.

Justin swapped his ECU to M4.4 with his P2 xc that he converted to manual. IIRC he ran into a lot of issues, he also had a '00 c70 vert that he was swapping but ended up abandoning the project.

It just seems like a lot of work for an older ECU system. Stand alone might be the best solution if you can go with it.

I don't doubt he had all sorts of issues, there's no way I see the CANBUS system and its control over everything on the P2 models playing nicely with M4.4 :lol:

OP, you'll need different axles, the axles for a 00 5A won't work with the M58/66. Check the V70R thread Neu linked in his post above mine for a detailed explanation with pictures.

98 axles work perfectly with the M66. That's all I know.

Correct (obviously :lol:) but 98 axles won't work with 99 or 00 hubs. The details for each model year and transmission option are covered in Hussein's awesome AWD parts thread that Neu linked.

Archived