Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Piet    202

When it meets razorx demands (16T@ 1 bar) , then there's really nothing wrong with his intaketube.

Besides: bigger certainley isn't always better :mellow:

Dynamics with airflow is a very complex thing in which velocity, turbulence, pressure differences amongst many other things plays their part.

It's too simpel to say that the intake tube can't be big enough.

Edited by Piet

Avinitlarge    73

So, a 20% discrepancy - I'd say that's more than you want. Maybe fine or at least not so bad on a completely stock car, but on one you are modifying???? Get rid of them ASAP.

Well, I thought that too but just needed to be sure

Just wondering, did you notice any rough idling with this discrepancy in injector flow.

These are a set I bought, never had them in my car. Can't get in touch with the person I bought them from GRRR :( . Now I need at least 2 injectors or even a full set. Can't seem to find any for sale. Yet another set back.

Piet, Any further news on the 3" ID MAF?

Edited by Avinitlarge

BLUE965T    1

living in florida I often forget that many other people have to get their cars inspected and need them to look stock.

As for as the intake tube working fine, we don't know that to be a fact. I was just throwing the intake tube thing out there to help people who may not know about turbocharger dynamics.

I do, however, greatly appreciate all of the things you electrical wizards have done here and I can't thank you enough

lookforjoe    2,581

Dynamics with airflow is a very complex thing in which velocity, turbulence, pressure differences amongst many other things plays their part.

It's too simpel to say that the intake tube can't be big enough.

Piet, can MrCain actually measure the total through put of larger housings? Anything you are measuring on your car is going to fall short since you still have a TD04HL turbo. I'm trying to understand exactly how you measured flow over the capacity of your car. The reason I ask is of course because I'm trying to figure out if I send you a homemade 3.75" ID housing, can you actually measure it's total throughout with our sensor?

Or would it make more sense for me to get an Arduino (Justus said he could help me there) since mine certainly flows a substantially higher amount?

Piet    202

I do the measurements against a maf of which the maf values are known for certain, being the stock 850 MAF.

Since this stock maf has a maximum capacity of 825 kg/hr and the 19T can already make this maf clip a higher flowing turbo then the 19T has nothing to add to this measuring method.

Everything above this 825 kg/hr is a mathematical extrapolation anyhow.

For idling, warming up and cruising quality the lower region of the scale has to be accurate that's what we are trying to achieve with this measurement..

Of course the bigger the MAF the more extrapolation is involved.

I'am convinced that we do have an accurate curve for the 960MAF and for the 3.25"ID bosch maf.

With the 3.75" ID MAF the outcome in the upper region is somewhat more uncertain with this method.

But above the clipping point of the original MAf you won't have any stock data in your maps anyhow.

This means you'll have to come up with own data anyway, essentially this is what you're doing when you are rescaling your maps to allow for higher load values.

It's important that the first part of the curve is accurate to match existing stock mapdata, the upper part is more relative.

With your high engine flow and the 3.75"ID maf you wil probably hit the internal max load of 12.24 (ECU "clips")

One method to get around this is, as TMM9 stated earlier, lowering the values in the upper part (making the curve less steep). this way you fool the ECU into thinking there is less air coming in then actually is.

This way the load curve will get less steep.

Of course this wil only work if the MAf never clips.

Edited by Piet
  • Upvote 1

lookforjoe    2,581

OK - so given that we have (reasonably) accurate scales for 2.5, 2.75 & 3.25 ID - can the % difference in cross sectional volume (correct term?) be used to make an educated extrapolation for the additional ID of say 3.5, 3.75, 4" ?

I think when I scaled the VE table in TTusb, I just factored the % difference in volume, and used that to rescale the table. So this would be a similar operation? In my case, I would leave the scaled % closer to stock (your 960 table values) below 1.5V, to ensure I don't have the warmup issues that plagued me all Feburary.

I'd like to try the 3.75" intake, however I definitely need assistance with the math involved with rescaling the flow table :lol:

Piet    202

@ Lookforjoe: I will try do to an extrapolation for you for a 3.5 and bigger MAF.

Wondrous things one can do with a soldering iron:

3.25%20MAF3.jpg

3.25%20MAF4.jpg

3.25%20MAF5.jpg

Installed my 3.25" MAF today en uploaded the 3.25" maf table.

Engine runs perfect with it, I noticed no difference with the S90 or 850 MAF while idling or cruising.

Did I notice any resolution loss with this substantial bigger MAF?... None whatsoever...another myth busted.

(and yes I do have to make the MAF wiring a bit longer :unsure:)

Edited by Piet

razorx    58

Nice work Piet. If you need it: I have some ABS "soldering" sticks and a Steinel with the right mouth piece.

It must have smelled nice when yoy were soldering the plastic. I am still loking for thin perforated stainles steel sheets. Makes soldering plastics less of a pain.

@BLUE965T: Do you know the size of a 16T, 18T and 19T inlet opening? ;)

Edited by razorx

Piet    202

The smell of plastic soldering was awesome!!

I still don't understand why I was kicked outside with it by my wife.

lookforjoe    2,581

Thanks Piet

What's been annoying me (since waaay back when I first found this online) is why Bosch never bothered to table the output all the way to 5v with the 90mm ID housing they rate at 1080kg/h - that's already 3.5" ID. It would be nice to have a Bosch reference table for all this work

ScreenShot2014-01-13at112835PM_zpsfd116f

H column is radius, unless I'm mistaken. So, 2x for ID, correct? That would make the 102 the stock MAF, and the 107 the 960 MAF (housings)

ScreenShot2014-01-13at112928PM_zpsff7091

Avinitlarge    73

Someone has just dropped a BMW E39 540 MAF off with me, The MAF in this doesnt look central either, looks to be about 10mm too high. Has anyone else noticed this?

S70-R    145

Well guys, just a quick update on my flashing problem: There is no problem anymore!!! :D

I had successfully flashed the ECU some minutes ago.

The problem was the voltage indeed.

All I did was to get a decent voltage adjustable ac/dc power supply setted to 14v (i checked with the voltimeter and it was spot on), new/better wiring and 3 grounds (instead of 1).

Tomorrow walbro fuel pump and giant greens injectors are going to be fitted and next weekend it will be time for S90 MAF, wideband and boost sensor.

Finally, finally!!!

Thank you all guys. I'll keep you updated on this.

Edited by S70-R

Tightmopedman9    977

Someone has just dropped a BMW E39 540 MAF off with me, The MAF in this doesnt look central either, looks to be about 10mm too high. Has anyone else noticed this?

This is the voltage to flow table direct from a 540i ECU. I found that it needed to be scaled by ~41% to be correct with my on center, 3.25" ID MAF.

lookforjoe    2,581

Pics?