Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Have you soldered one of those sockets before? Just wondering if there is a specific procedure - the pins will definitely be fiddly, but preferable to soldering individual cable wires :D

Ive soldered them before, Cut the plastic out of the middle, its easy to solder then. Use a 1 -2mm bit in the iron set to about 390oC

Edited by Avinitlarge

njgreenbud you should try this new cool thing called print screen....

kevin I already said a few posts ago, in response to a post much like yours, "I will use screenshots from now on", it was quicker at the time and it got the info across. Do you happen to have any helpful suggestions for my connection problem? What settings are you using in Device Manager for your cable? Thanks!

Thanks for the write up! I quoted the post to bring it over to the new page.

I found the DIP32-PLCC32 adaptor and PLCC32 SMD socket from one vendor on eBay - I prefer to use one source if possible. It will be a slow(er) delivery time, but that's OK. The adaptor was about 1/2 the price there is also a cheapo (5bucks) version - not willing to risk that one.

EDIT: Now I'm unsure if the DIP32 connection is the same - the one you linked - can't tell if the DIP32 side is male or female? The Moates cable is male/female, but does the female have to connect to the Ostrich, or the Male?

Ordered the Ostrich2.0 & adaptor cable from Moates.

ScreenShot2014-01-04at93458AM_zpsf385204

ScreenShot2014-01-04at93451AM_zps4b495bc

ScreenShot2014-01-04at93518AM_zps3da8169

Have you soldered one of those sockets before? Just wondering if there is a specific procedure - the pins will definitely be fiddly, but preferable to soldering individual cable wires :D

I've not opened up an ecm yet, but will all that fit inside the case?

Huessin,

Youre going to need to buy the stocket I linked as well as the socket plug I linked.

The one you found is a male to female, you need a female to male.

Soldering in the socket shouldnt be an issue. Just make sure you use flux and keep it steady.

The stuff should fit in the case, it will be VERY tight though, but that will be a good thing as it will keep all the plugs in the sockets.

Yeah, I got that the first time. Nice video of the guys fingers up close. Shame he couldn't set up the camera better. Seriously though, useful tips like soldering opposite corners. :-)

Soldered the socket and wires for connecting the TTCOP module to a standard ECU, this is the ECU I will use with the Ostrich2.0

A12 = (15)

A13 = (30)

A21 = cam sensor

B11 = ign discharge

null_zps6cea4993.jpg

null_zps65fe6d5f.jpg

Shame we can't use that nice fresh 44 pin base...

Hi
I have been reading this topic with great interest.
Great things are happenig here !!
Together with my son Maarten ("venderbroeck") we are playing with the M4.4 too.
I own a 850R with a Motronic 4.3 Turbotuner USB with a COP module attached to it.
I want to change to a M4.4 with an Ostrich and TunerPro.
They already are waiting on the shelf for installation.
But first I had to make the COP module independent of the ECU.
We did it somewhat differently than Lookforjoe, we made the install completely independendant of the ECU
I removed the the old coil and put the COP module there instead because there are already 3 of the 4 inputs needed available: earth, ignition key activated supply and the ignition discharge signal.

module.jpg

plug%20bobine.jpg

The only signal missing is the cam sensor signal, we took that of the wire near the CAM sensor.
cam%20signal%201.jpg
cam%20signal%202.jpg

This will make changing ECU's more easily

Edited by Piet
  • Upvote 1

Great job Hussein.

Glad to see you are starting to make the switch. I'm excited to see your actually flow numbers once you get the maf table dialed in.

Yes, thanks for you help with that!

I'm also going to need some pointers on setting up a "base' tune that will run the car immediately - this is my DD, and I don't have a backup driver until the X1/9 motor/LH2.2 conversion is completed.

So, immediate adjustments for:

3" ID MAF scaling

1180cc injectors

Base (idle) timing map (set to 12ºBTDC instead of stock M4.4 6-8ºBTDC)

Cold Start Enrichment table (currently about 20% leaner, for >32ºf, to about 10% leaner after 100ºf)

Base Idle RPM table (raised to 950 due to Enem Cams)

later - AC idle compensation RPM bump changes

Have you guys identified those specific maps, or will I need to go hunting?

I'm assuming I don't need the VAG-COM cable when using the Ostrich, since you didn't mention it?

Yes, thanks for you help with that!

I'm also going to need some pointers on setting up a "base' tune that will run the car immediately - this is my DD, and I don't have a backup driver until the X1/9 motor/LH2.2 conversion is completed.

So, immediate adjustments for:

3" ID MAF scaling

1180cc injectors

Base (idle) timing map (set to 12ºBTDC instead of stock M4.4 6-8ºBTDC)

Cold Start Enrichment table (currently about 20% leaner, for >32ºf, to about 10% leaner after 100ºf)

Base Idle RPM table (raised to 950 due to Enem Cams)

later - AC idle compensation RPM bump changes

Have you guys identified those specific maps, or will I need to go hunting?

I'm assuming I don't need the VAG-COM cable when using the Ostrich, since you didn't mention it?

Send me screenshots of your pertinent maps and I'll throw something together for you. You don't need a VAG-COM cable for flashing, but you will need one for datalogging.

Send me screenshots of your pertinent maps and I'll throw something together for you. You don't need a VAG-COM cable for flashing, but you will need one for datalogging.

That's the thing - I can't give you screenshots of those maps - they are not accessible in TT - I had all those settings custom modified for me by Adam @ TTusb as needed due to hardware changes.

I assumed you or others have figured out the array and function of the available M4.4 maps via TunerPro..... :(