Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Not sure if this was really mentioned/explained, but the reasoning for copies of some maps between the two banks is for speed optimization. Because the 8051 Micro controller being used only has a 16-bit address bus, and the AN28F010 flash chip needs a 17-bit address bus, when the cpu is executing code and needs to switch banks a routine to change that 17th address line is run. If I remember correctly the 17th bit line is multiplexed with some other function. The M4.4 system has double the memory as M4.3, but does not need all that space. That's why there are copies of maps commonly referenced by the software, so that way the CPU doesn't need to switch banks which could potentially mess with operation of the engine. So essentially, if you edit a map, make sure you are editing both, otherwise the car will run off the original tune's values when executing code from the other bank.

• Upvote 5

Not sure if this was really mentioned/explained, but the reasoning for copies of some maps between the two banks is for speed optimization. Because the 8051 Micro controller being used only has a 16-bit address bus, and the AN28F010 flash chip needs a 17-bit address bus, when the cpu is executing code and needs to switch banks a routine to change that 17th address line is run. If I remember correctly the 17th bit line is multiplexed with some other function. The M4.4 system has double the memory as M4.3, but does not need all that space. That's why there are copies of maps commonly referenced by the software, so that way the CPU doesn't need to switch banks which could potentially mess with operation of the engine. So essentially, if you edit a map, make sure you are editing both, otherwise the car will run off the original tune's values when executing code from the other bank.

So far I have only found one map duplicated in both sections of flash, the Dwell map (0x1F8C0). The map in the second part of flash wasn't even listed by the DAMOS, it looks there are other maps in that area too, but without descriptions it's hard knowing what they are. Also, the RPM limit is duplicated in both parts of the flash. Do you know of any other maps that are duplicated?

On another note, I re-scaled the load axis on my tune to give resolution up to 9.84ms of load, 1.82ms higher than the stock axis. I moved the map contents of the VE, ignition, knock detection and fuel regeneration rate to match. There are 6 maps related to mis-fire detection that use the load axis, I did not re-scale them. There was no difference in driving characteristics, except for more exact fueling up top. Long term fuel trim sits at about 3.2%. I still need to data-log to see if I am going over 10ms of load.

I am going to rescale the RPM axis tonight. However, there are 56 maps that need to be shifted for RPM, quite a bit more work than the load axis. I plan on removing the lowest two RPM values, 60 and 360, to allow for 6800 and 7000 values up top.

Don't go by the DAMOS file for the copied maps. You have to look for mirrored data. say a map is at $1234, the mirrored map would be at $11234 if I remember correctly.

Yeah, that seems to be the case, I've just been lazy and haven't really checked. I'll take a look right now and see if there are more duplicates I can find.

Looks like at 18psi I hit 10.8ms of load. Minimum recorded load is 1ms. I will remove the lowest load value, .48ms, in favor of a higher value up top, 10.46ms.

I put together a checksum plugin for TunerPro.

I have verified it with motronic suite and everything matches.

I have created a new XDF, but will be sending that and the DLL to the OP for him to test before release.

Probably will start working on a flashing plugin, just so we can centralize everything.

I plan on using this myself to tune my t5r once i convert to m4.4, so I would like to make everything as easy as possible and all in one program, cause switching back and forth for each and every different tune would annoy me :)

Edited by Simply Volvo
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to some great work by Simply Volvo tunerpro will now update the checksum for you. This is good news for anyone who is looking to use an ostrich 2.0.

I updated the first post and added the checksum plugin and a new .xdf. I added the 3 load axes and the major RPM axis for easy scaling. I think I also added one or two more maps.

In case you don't know what the ostrich 2.0 is, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhdodbCZf_M

To install the checksum plugin.

Load the latest xdf. Then download the dll and place it in your tuner studio directory in program files. It will update it automatically for you every time you change something .

I think I will try adding a flashing tool( based on motronic suite or a modified exe as te source is open source) an maybe some elm327 data logging and dtc capability.

EDIT:

Finished my flashing tool.

I modified M4.4Flasher by dilemma to work with tunerpro. Once it is tested and approved by tightmopedman, it will be released along with instructions.

Edited by Simply Volvo
  • Upvote 3

Flashing tool confirmed to work great! Now everything can be done directly in Tunerpro. I'll update the main page with some new links.

• Upvote 2

Flashing tool confirmed to work great! Now everything can be done directly in Tunerpro. I'll update the main page with some new links.

Nice, two for two!

I may add a few error checking things to the flasher tool and then zip everything into one zip along with install instructions.

Ill pm you.

HOW TO USE CHECKSUM PLUGIN:

To install the checksum plugin:

Load the latest xdf. Then download the dll and place it in your tuner

studio directory in program files. It will update it automatically for

you every time you change something .

HOW TO USE TUNERPRO FLASHER:

How to use:

Download the two files and place them on your desktop or where ever.

Open up TunerPro and go to Tools, then custom tools, then edit custom tools.

Click New tool. Give it a name "Motronic4.4Flasher" or whatever, then select the tool path and pick the exe you downloaded.

Then under Cmd Line Parms add

"$(CurBinPath)" COM1

^^^ Copy and paste that directly.

Change COM1 to whatever com you are using. Then ok and ok again.

To flash, go to tools, custom tools and click on M4.4 flasher or whatever you named it.

Edited by Simply Volvo
  • Upvote 2

Amazing work folks, keep it up! Going to have to source a M4.4 ECU to try this :)

Somebody MUST pin this tread, so far this is the bigger kick ----->forward for the VS crowd on free tuning!!! Amazing job guys!!!

• Upvote 2

When i installed the checksum .dll file into the tunerpro directory i get two error messages saying that msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll is missing. i have the most recent xdf from the first post. Win 7 32bit