Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Hussein, did you miss the discussion on circuit and signal condition tracing by RKAM and Avinitlarge pages back?

Designed boost by gear. I re-purposed 2 of the alternate target load maps into a 1st and 2nd gear boost map. This allows the use of alternate map sets along with boost by gear.

• Re- purposed the 3rd alternate target load map into an over boost limit map. If the current boost as measured by the MAP sensor is greater than a defined limit the TCV duty cycle map is switched to a custom defineable map, I've chosen to populate mine with all 0's.
  • Added additional top load cells. When load is maxed out but airflow is rising the VE map values will change up to three times to allow for more fuel to be injected. This prevents sacrificing rich conditions at low boost, maxed load conditions so that high boost, maxed load will be an appropriate AFR.

I must have missed something - I did not catch that the only difference was a few resistors.

Since alternate mapping is switched by (throttle) pedal position, I assume it only works with the auto trans throttle cable, since the manual has no pedal switch? Or is it using TPS angle?

As SimplyVolvo discovered and we could confirm in a test while driving the RAM #OxFA94 contains the exact current gear.

This could be used for boost by gear using map switching.

Edited by Piet

Why would we use speeddensity now it looks like we will be able to use MAF's big enough to cover our powerneed's.

In my opinion MAF based systems are a lot more refined then MAP based systems with their indirect measurements of oxygen consumption of the engine?

Why would we use speeddensity now it looks like we will be able to use MAF's big enough to cover our powerneed's.

In my opinion MAF based systems are a lot more refined then MAP based systems with their indirect measurements of oxygen consumption of the engine?

I figured i'd start doing some research in case the MAF flow testing doesnt work out too well. For the flow testing to be really accurate, you really need to do the testing using the intake setup you are using and everyone is using a different intake setup.

Quite curious to see how the flow testing works out though, because i have a 3in ID MAF huessin made for me that ill be picking up a carlisle.

Also seeing all the problems Huessin has been having...

Edited by Simply Volvo

Don't understand me wrongly. There are enough people interested in speeddensity, so it is very usefull work alltogether you are doing on the subject.

And interesting none the less!!

It just a choice one has make (and maybe can make thanks to your efforts) between both possibilitys.

But for now, the choice for me is a MAF based system.

Btw it's my believe that Husseins problems originate from is very high capacity injectors which also runs @ 3.8 bar, i wonder if a map based system will solve his problem.

Edited by Piet

Don't understand me wrongly. There are enough people interested in speeddensity, so it is very usefull work alltogether you are doing on the subject.

And interesting none the less!!

It just a choice one has make (and maybe can make thanks to your efforts) between both possibilitys.

But for now, the choice for me is a MAF based system.

Btw it's my believe that Husseins problems originate from is very high capacity injectors which also runs @ 3.8 bar, i wonder if a map based system will solve his problem.

It seems like almost all new modern EMS's are speed density now a days. Subaru WRX's have a conversion from MAF to SD, EVO 8/9 has a conversion from MAF to SD and a large majority of the high performance imports are now SD.

In almost every high performance application I've read about, they have been using speed density and almost every after market EMS is speed density.

MAF's are only going to be able to read up to a certain amount. Huessin is making 550+bhp and he is going to be upgrading to a 4 in MAF soon, this means he is going to loose a TON of resolution at the lower end. So basically his cruising may become very difficult to and to hold stoich.

With speed density this wont be an issue since it uses MAP and IAT. With the Q number format i am using i can measure MAP and IAT in .0078125 increments making the estimation extremely accurate for an 8 bit system.

I dont think SD will fix husseins injector issues. That is more because it is an 8 bit CPU and also because are engines are simply too small to be able to provide enough mass air flow at idle to meet the minimum linear PW.

But again your HP goals might be different than mine so a MAF might suite you better.

Maybe the most appropriate thing to do would to make a MAF + SD Hybrid. You use the stock size MAF for light load and cruising so you have good driveability and then once you start getting into higher load you switch into SD to avoid the MAF maxing... This would be perfect for mid hp builds such as between 320-450 hp.

Edited by Simply Volvo

Today I've got finally the OBDII cable. It is not the wikia one but it is a FT232RL chipset so it is supposed to work.

I've all the wiring done and everything seems correctly connected.

I'm using the FTDI drivers that are on wikia and tunerpro is with the correct settings (com1 is the port I've defined).

When I try to flash it says starting erase and sometime after it says timeout. With or without the K-line wire connected is the same.

I've already tried to change latency to 25 and put tunerpro runing as administrator.

What can be the problem?

I've also noticed that when I put voltage on bootmode B8 the ECU stops making noise. If I disconnect it I can hear the ECU working...it is supposed to be like this?

By the way, the ECU is a 612 from a 98 V70R AWD.

Edited by S70-R

Yes, it's true, nothing wrong with speed density.
In the end you could very well be right (and probably you are) about that a map based system is the superior one, especially for very high power car's.
But the whole architecture of the M4.4 is Maf based, therefore if you want SD would'nt it be much simpler to install a stand alone system intstead of altering a completely maf based system as the 4.4 is into SD?
Although, pure technically it would be a very interesting project, reason enough to do it, I agree...

(And quite an achievement...)

I did some measurents with a 3,25" ID maf and came up with a curve, which TMM9 combined in the lower (<.2744 V) and higher (extrapolated) (>4.54 V) regions with an analytical curve made by him. He took it for a testdrive. According to him it looked very good, I will take it for a testdrive shortly. It looks like the 3.25" ID Maf can measure up to (more then) 1600 kg/ hr. So i think a 3.5" ID would be enough, even for Hussein incredible high power volvo. Don't know if the resolution in the low areas would be affected to much, only one way to find out....

As long as the air flow is laminar and not disturbed to much by any turbulence, as it should be, in my opinion it doesn't matter what's in front or behind the maf. If the intake setup has an influence on the measurements then there must be something wrong with the intake setup.

I don't know what the highest injector duty cycle is Hussein is getting, but my suspicion is that the total capacity of his injectors @ 3.8 bar is much more then needed at the cost of resolution in the lower RPM regions. If the measured max duty cycle is low, lets say 60% or so or less, I would firstly reinstall the stock 3 bar fuel pressure regulator and see if that gives some improvements.

Edited by Piet

Maybe the most appropriate thing to do would to make a MAF + SD Hybrid. You use the stock size MAF for light load and cruising so you have good driveability and then once you start getting into higher load you switch into SD to avoid the MAF maxing... This would be perfect for mid hp builds such as between 320-450 hp.

Yes, that is an interesting thought !

I know e85 has been covered before but I can't seem to find any specifics on tuning for it. Do I just change the injector constant to add 25-30% more fuel or what?

Will you be doing any measurements on a 3in ID maf?

I might be upgrading to one soon in the mean time.

Also my speed density system simply estimates kg/hr then plugs it into the load formula. So everything else can be left stock and unmodified.

Edited by Simply Volvo

Yes, Hussein has send me one for testing (I believe it yours :) ) I received it a couple of day's ago. I probably will test it next sunday (and send it back of course :) )

I will be following the developments of your SD system with great interest and I would definitely like to try it out when it's ready.

Edited by Piet

Today I've got finally the OBDII cable. It is not the wikia one but it is a FT232RL chipset so it is supposed to work.

I've all the wiring done and everything seems correctly connected.

I'm using the FTDI drivers that are on wikia and tunerpro is with the correct settings (com1 is the port I've defined).

When I try to flash it says starting erase and sometime after it says timeout. With or without the K-line wire connected is the same.

I've already tried to change latency to 25 and put tunerpro runing as administrator.

What can be the problem?

I've also noticed that when I put voltage on bootmode B8 the ECU stops making noise. If I disconnect it I can hear the ECU working...it is supposed to be like this?

By the way, the ECU is a 612 from a 98 V70R AWD.

Well, I'm almost sure the problem is this lonelec vagcom cable.

I can't even use the cable with the EasyOBDII free version program (and I can use the program with the cheap bluetooth OBDII). It also says timeout and I've already tried other drivers.

Fortunately I didn't pay for this cable.

I have another one arriving soon I hope.

I don't know what the highest injector duty cycle is Hussein is getting, but my suspicion is that the total capacity of his injectors @ 3.8 bar is much more then needed at the cost of resolution in the lower RPM regions. If the measured max duty cycle is low, lets say 60% or so or less, I would firstly reinstall the stock 3 bar fuel pressure regulator and see if that gives some improvements.

3rd4thJuly25data_zpsf765c9b3.png

I think I can afford to drop the regulated pressure back to 3 bar - the regulator is adjustable. I'm under 60% duty cycle, so even if I raise the boost a few psi (to get to 500AWHP) once the fuel lines and additional pumps are added, I don't think I'll be back to the limit as I was with the 750cc's @ 450AWHP

• Upvote 1