Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Right, Stock maf with greens feels a lot better, more like it did at stock, Still not 100% but hey.

Greens with stock MAF

LTFT_I -120 and LTFT_PL +2.34%

Stock injectors and stock MAF from and old log

LTFT_I -72 and LTFT_PL is unknown as I didn't go for a drive

Greens with 1.34 S90 MAF

LTFT_I is -76 and LTFT_PL is +5.47%

Edited by Avinitlarge

This is great information! Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

I'm not really a tech guy though, so a lot of road is pretty confusing. And it seems like people are still coding their tunes from scratch, even if they don't have particularly built setups.

What I'm wondering is...has anyone reverse engineered any of the off-the-shelf tunes and posted the files for download (or the equivalent codes to copy the tune's settings) so one doesn't have to write a tune from scratch on a car where an off-the-shelf tune would work just fine??

Thanks in advance!

This is a small poor mans how-to for injector calibration.

More important, for your injectors, with your fuel pump and pressure regulator.

First it is important to realize that "Injector opening time by voltage" has mainly an influence on your low rev fuel trims.

The "injection "basic adjustment factor" has influence on low and high rev fuel trims.

At first fill in the values in the "Injector opening time by voltage", "basic adjustment factor" and "minimum injection time" tables as they, sort of, should be.

Now it is time to get the "basic adjustment factor" right. Drive at least half an hour preferrably with a constant speed of 100km/h. Record the LTFT while driving at that speed. ;)

If you have an LTFT of +12%, you have to divide your "basic adjustment factor" by 1.12. If your LTFT is -5%, you have to multiply with 1,05 instead.

Flash your ECU with ony this value modified.

Only when the "basic adjustment factor" has been set correctly, it makes sense to find the "Injector opening time by voltage" values.

Find a place where you can drive at least half an hour with an as constant as possible speed between 20 and 30km/h, low revs. Note the LTFT at the end of this drive.

In you have an LTFT of 6%, you have to multiply your "Injector opening time by voltage" table values by 1.06.

If your starting point is too far of from reality, you might need to repeat this process.

After a lot of resultless calculation, I came with this simple solution.

The most beautiful part of it, is that it works.

-edit- make sure all your sensors are 100%. Like the MAF sensor, lambda sond etc. otherwise this operation is useless.

Edited by razorx
  • Upvote 1

I'm not really a tech guy though, so a lot of road is pretty confusing. And it seems like people are still coding their tunes from scratch, even if they don't have particularly built setups.

What I'm wondering is...has anyone reverse engineered any of the off-the-shelf tunes and posted the files for download (or the equivalent codes to copy the tune's settings) so one doesn't have to write a tune from scratch on a car where an off-the-shelf tune would work just fine??

Thanks in advance!

I have a tune from every major tuning company, Rica, ARD, MTE and SpeedTuning. Trust me, you won't gain anything by looking at them, if you want to emulate their tune just jack up the target load map above 60% throttle position.

• Upvote 1

I have a tune from every major tuning company, Rica, ARD, MTE and SpeedTuning. Trust me, you won't gain anything by looking at them, if you want to emulate their tune just jack up the target load map above 60% throttle position.

Awesome stuff! Any chance you'll be able to post a back-to-back comparison of the different tunes?

I made two versions to try - one with the rev2 table (note: saved as Rev2) (95% of conversion factor values up to 1.2v), with revisions to the ign by coolant temp, and a couple of other related revisions to try,

and another with the values shifted as you suggested (note: saved as Rev4) - I realized after you said it that that is essentially what I have been moving them toward, however it had not occurred to me to use the earlier table & just shift it downward. This does mean that 0v = 3kg/h, not sure if that will cause a flakiness when cranking the engine over.

Screenshot2014-04-17085703_zps8ad0bc46.p

So, the revised table didn't work so well during warmup. Part load & idle values were very nice, though. As seen here:

Screenshot2014-04-20132453_zps7c9837bc.p

I looked again at the two tables, and by sliding the table down (towards zero), I made it too rich in the warmup region (around .7v).

Rev2vsRev4a_zpsec1e0ba8.png

So, looking at the rev2 on the left, the rev4a on the right, I made a table (in the middle, rev2c) that is adjusted in the normal (for my setup) idle volt/flow range .54-.59v to bring it closer to the rev4a version, but it still leaner in the slightly higher flow/volt warmup region.

Matt - if you see this, can the MAF Editor be modified to display the opened file? I forget which is which sometimes, and I usually have more than one open at the same time....

Screenshot2014-04-21222158_zps1c4c4391.p

This is where it's sitting after 20miles or so driving. I'm pretty happy with those values, and LTFT_I deviates from this down to +24usec

Rev2cIdle04-22_zps120e480f.png

Thanks in advance!

The stock 608 bin is the most 'tuned' stock file.You can download that. Anything else is 'custom'. Once you raise boost, etc, it is 'custom'. That is not writing any tune from scratch, it is adjusting the factory tune for specific changes you have made to your specific setup...

Any tunes from RICA, WothRLine,IPD, etc, are proprietary tunes, and it violates the owner's rights to share such files. There may be individuals who are willing to do so, but you won't find them linked in this thread, or on the WIKI.

This is a small poor mans how-to for injector calibration.

More important, for your injectors, with your fuel pump and pressure regulator.

Nice work on that! I rarely drive more than 20-25min one way during a normal work week, so this would be difficult as a routine check. I'll have to try it next time I have to take a longer drive.

Piet, can you please measure and tell me the length of the 3.25" bosch maf housing?

Thank you!

Aproximately 13 cm

Can't measure exactly because I have glued into the upper half of an airbox.

Edited by Piet

Awesome stuff! Any chance you'll be able to post a back-to-back comparison of the different tunes?

ARD: Pulled some timing, added a bit of fuel above 4200RPM, adjusted the target load map, changed RPM limit

Speedtuning: Adjusted the target load map, set overboost detection to 12.24ms

Rica & MTE: Adjusted target load map, raised RPM limit, set overboost detection to 12.24ms, added a bit of fuel in the VE map

Maybe these tuners have some tuned files in which more maps were altered, but I doubt it. To my knowledge no 'major' tuner has done any assembly level modifications, which isn't very surprising.

There wouldn't be anything to gain from posting these files, except maybe a lawsuit for myself - not interested.

Edited by Tightmopedman9
  • Upvote 1