Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Thanks for the quick response

I have only done rudimentary tests in my garage (I dont drive my car too much unfortunately), and I noticed that when turning the lights and everything on the STFT changes at least a few percent compared to when it is all off. I see this change almost instantly. If you let it sit like that (i.e. idling with everything on), the LTFT will adapt.

If I recall correctly, 5% fuel trim change at idle is about 40usec in STFT-I on my car, which I do observe occasionally.

It may be a little misleading because I havent driven the car enough, but it just had me thinking about how this would affect other values.

You could try logging battery voltage while switching everything on. I believe the dead time by voltage table is only meant to stabilize rpm's during short voltage drops in the time the regulator needs to compensate. Hussein also mentioned having voltage drops at very high rpms (7000 - 8000) rpm. The voltage regulator probably isn't perfectly linear in that area. The thing is that the regulator should stabilize the voltage afaik, so it's thesame with everything on vs everything off. If this isn't the case, either the alternator doesn't meet de demand or the cables could have a high resistance. I think you're right about the trims maybe affecting wot afr's, but im not sure by how much.

Edited by venderbroeck

With our iteration method for finding Injector constant and deadtimes only deadtimes are found for the voltage during the time of the iteration procedure.

The deadtimes are definitely not the same for every voltage.

Normally, when your electrical system is in a good condition this isn't a big problem while, apart from starting, the voltage will be in the 13.5 to 14 volt range almost all the time.

To find deadtimes at other voltages you will have to find a way to apply different voltages while testing..

With our iteration method for finding Injector constant and deadtimes only deadtimes are found for the voltage during the time of the iteration procedure.

The deadtimes are definitely not the same for every voltage.

Normally, when your electrical system is in a good condition this isn't a big problem while, apart from starting, the voltage will be in the 13.5 to 14 volt range almost all the time.

To find deadtimes at other voltages you will have to find a way to apply different voltages while testing..

I read up on finding dead times. The best way to do it seems to be by using a variable voltage power supply connected to the injectors.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, that would work,

But when you apply the variable powersupply to the injectors only, you still have to adjust the deadtimes in tunerpro in the voltage range of the current cell in the voltage table to find the right deadtime.

Because that's the voltage the ECU is thinking the injectors are receiving.

Afterwards, of course, you have to fill in the found deadtimes in the cells of the table corresponding to the injector applied voltages.

Edited by Piet

I have made a little tool to simplify load axe rescaling: "Load Rescaler"

Load%20rescaler1.jpg

Instructions how it to use it are under "help"

Load%20rescaler2.jpg

Load%20rescaler3.jpg

Load%20rescaler4.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't make it possible to copy and paste the results directly into TunerPro.

But that is easily fixed by copying it first into excel and from there copy en paste into tuner pro.

Essentially it does'nt change your tune. It just rescales the values of the table to the new load axis.

Everything in the tables beyond the old max load will be equal to the old max values.

But now you are able by tuning the upper rows to get more differentiation in the upper load region.

(It can only rescale to a higher load level, not from a higher to a lower load)

Download

Edited by Piet
  • Upvote 2

It may be a little misleading because I havent driven the car enough, but it just had me thinking about how this would affect other values.

This is a problem. The adaptive takes time also - if you're only running the car at idle or unloaded (revving stationary) you are not likely to get consistent values. Engine also has to cycle through warmup which requires engine to reach and maintain over 83 Celcius under varied load conditions. You need to get out & drive it.

New problem of late. I had to add restrictors to the mufflers to reduce street level noise. Local cop no-likely me.

Anyway, I played around with several levels of restriction, after which, it seemed, I developed a stutter/hesitation at part throttle. In fact, this may be started with the injector calibrating, as the temin is now lower, as are the voltages. LTFT values seem appropriate however.

. I removed the restrictors entirely and the symptom could still be duplicated, so I felt it must be due to the much higher ambient temps of late - I did not have this at all during the winter/spring when my coolant temp rarely went over 75celcius, and air intake temps were that or lower.

So, after a log or two (with much frustration getting the single frame playback to work ;( ) what I can see is that my AFR's in the stutter range (3600-4500 rpm) 25-35% throttle) are in the high 13's and low 14's - the load at that point is over 8, so I'm hoping that tweaking the VE map in the appropriate cells will alleviate the symptom.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow

eDIT : I drove 500 miles last Saturday and did not experience it - it never happened on the highway, since I drove over the rpm / under the load range. I logged it in third gently and steadily accelerating on a secondary road.

Thanks Piet!

I was about to rescale my load axis, but then realised the other stuff I needed to change. I was going to do it all in excel, but knew that it would be time consuming and prone to error.

About comma vs decimal in Excel, it all depends on your settings. I lived in Sweden for quite some time, and I got frustrated with the computers set in Swedish mode. Not only does it use commas instead of periods/decimal points, but even the names of the formulas are in Swedish!

So, after a log or two (with much frustration getting the single frame playback to work ;( ) what I can see is that my AFR's in the stutter range (3600-4500 rpm) 25-35% throttle) are in the high 13's and low 14's - the load at that point is over 8, so I'm hoping that tweaking the VE map in the appropriate cells will alleviate the symptom.

I was getting similar stutter when I made a typo in the VE maps, so look into that. I target mid-low 12s at these loads, and accidently put in a single value that made my AFR jump into the low 14s. This made a noticable stutter, as if the car was misfiring. Although yours doesn't sound as bad as my case, it may well be solved with fine tuning of the VE maps.

I have personally found tuning the VE maps to be time well spent.

Piet, very nice!

Earlier, TMM9 wrote:

On another note, I re-scaled the load axis on my tune to give resolution up to 9.84ms of load, 1.82ms higher than the stock axis. I moved the map contents of the VE, ignition, knock detection and fuel regeneration rate to match. There are 6 maps related to mis-fire detection that use the load axis, I did not re-scale them. There was no difference in driving characteristics, except for more exact fueling up top. Long term fuel trim sits at about 3.2%. I still need to data-log to see if I am going over 10ms of load.

So, if we change load Axis, we should modify the VE, Ignition, Knock detection, and Fuel Regeneration maps?

And of course update both Major load charts.

What about the 4 other load charts? Appears to be partial maps that have some of the same axis points.

I was getting similar stutter when I made a typo in the VE maps, so look into that. I target mid-low 12s at these loads, and accidently put in a single value that made my AFR jump into the low 14s. This made a noticable stutter, as if the car was misfiring. Although yours doesn't sound as bad as my case, it may well be solved with fine tuning of the VE maps.

I have personally found tuning the VE maps to be time well spent.

Unfortunately no errors in my map. This is after some tweaking in the 3600 - 4200 - 4590 columns, over 5 load

Screenshot2014-06-25212345_zpsdd138e2b.p

I used to only tune via VE maps with TurboTuner, that was how it is done. Easier with TunerPro, when base settings are more accurate. My most recent tune has been converted to TTusb format, so I will re-install that ECU and play with it a little. I like to know I have a viable back up ECU